pjak

Another new guy from Cranford.

Hello hello! 

Happy to join the forum. Just received my Firearms ID and Permits. I'll admit...I am super confused where to start. Where to go. I've done some research but now need to find the right places to go to 1. learn (most important) 2. Buy (find decent pricing) 3.Get back to shooting at a range. Interested in handgun target work. 

I grew up in the Prairies shooting rifles on the farm...but that was a long time ago.  And in a place that had very little in the way of laws...haha.

Any guidance would be awesome. Also, from the looks of things on this forum, it seems like a really great spot for support! So thank you everyone for putting the effort in to grow the community. 

-P

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pjak said:

Hello hello! 

Happy to join the forum. Just received my Firearms ID and Permits. I'll admit...I am super confused where to start. Where to go. I've done some research but now need to find the right places to go to 1. learn (most important) 2. Buy (find decent pricing) 3.Get back to shooting at a range. Interested in handgun target work. 

I grew up in the Prairies shooting rifles on the farm...but that was a long time ago.  And in a place that had very little in the way of laws...haha.

Any guidance would be awesome. Also, from the looks of things on this forum, it seems like a really great spot for support! So thank you everyone for putting the effort in to grow the community. 

-P

Welcome.  There are many on here that can help.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Pjak!

You might want to fill out your profile just a bit more. At the very least, I recommend you fill out the location field. That way, as you pose various questions over time about ranges, FFLs, etc.... other posters will know where you live and can tailor their recommendations to your vicinity. 

Again, welcome aboard, welcome back to shooting... and pls enjoy your time here. :)  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 2:07 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Welcome aboard, Pjak!

You might want to fill out your profile just a bit more. At the very least, I recommend you fill out the location field. That way, as you pose various questions over time about ranges, FFLs, etc.... other posters will know where you live and can tailor their recommendations to your vicinity. 

Again, welcome aboard, welcome back to shooting... and pls enjoy your time here. :)  

Will do! Thanks!

On 9/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, Krdshrk said:

Welcome!  If you're in Cranford, the closest range to you is probably RTSP Union.  They have a shop and rentals as well.  

Pricewise - eh, everything is up and expensive right now.  

I'll go over and check it out! Thanks for the suggestion. From what I can tell prices are. up and availability is low.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:25 PM, Krdshrk said:

Yes - do you know what guns you want, or are you trying out stuff?  

RTSP should have a good amount of rentals.

A buddy from Washington state has suggested glock 19 or 45 or suv p320. 

im definitely wanting to try out stuff. I went to rtsp but it was so booked I couldn’t get in. I’ll have to keep trying!

4 hours ago, pjak said:

Thoughts on the CZ P-10? That’s one I was considering. 

Don't own that one and haven't shot it.  I hear the ergonomics are similiar to the CZ75 which is a very good thing.

I have a CZ75 and CZ-P01.  Both great pistols.  IMHO CZ makes very good firearms for a very reasonable price.

BUT.....if I were looking to purchase a striker fired pistol I would probably look at Glocks.  And I don't particularly care for Glocks.

Glocks are much more common and have A LOT of aftermarket support.

If you don't plan on customizing your pistol at all then I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the CZ-P10.  Everyone seems to really like them and the trigger is suppossed to be great out of the box.

I popped over to RTSP today. Tons of rental options. Just so many people to get range time it was crazy. Going to go back some day this week and try a Glock, sig, and a CZ. 

Then try to find something to buy...haha hard task as I was told. 

I want to take a safety class. Any suggestions in the Bridgewater, Warren, Union, Cranford, area? I'd drive further if it was a great class with great instructors. 

Gaining good knowledge is key for me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pjak said:

I want to take a safety class. Any suggestions in the Bridgewater, Warren, Union, Cranford, area? I'd drive further if it was a great class with great instructors. 

Gaining good knowledge is key for me. 

TTC has their basic handgun 101 course.  They're in Flemington.
https://tacticaltrainingcenternj.com/product/ttc-basic-handgun-handgun-101-15/

RTSP has basic handgun as well
https://rtsptraining.enrollware.com/schedule#ct250998

On 10/5/2020 at 10:45 PM, pjak said:

Then try to find something to buy...haha hard task as I was told. 

Buy online then have it shipped to your FFL.

Steve at http://www.monmoutharms.com makes the process very easy, FFL info is available as a PDF file on his website for forwarding to an online seller.