kc17

Paper P2P going away

State Police Announces

Enhancement to Firearms Application and Registration System

Trenton, N.J. – The New Jersey State Police announced today enhancements to the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS), which further streamlines the paperless process to purchase a handgun. Beginning Thursday, October 1, this new enhancement to the FARS application process will make the Electronic Handgun Purchase to Permit (E-Permits) to purchase a handgun available immediately upon approval and provide electronic viewable access to available permits at licensed retail firearms dealers.

In 2016, Attorney General directive 2016-4 mandated uniform statewide practices and procedures for all firearm applications processes. In 2017, development began on the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS), which was launched statewide in February 2019, streamlining the firearms application process for all municipalities across the state. The system allows residents of the state to submit online applications for firearms purchaser identification cards and handgun purchase permits.

The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit and Information and Technology Section, along with outside vendors, spent years of research and development to launch (E-Permit). The enhancements will keep records on file electronically and allow police departments and licensed firearms dealers access to the database while enabling residents to conveniently acquire purchase permits online.

For information on how to submit applications, go to https://njsp.org/firearms.

Source is the NJSP IG account. I see nothing on the NJSP website about it yet.

Any FFLs here have more info on it?

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 1

7 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I heard about this somewhere, probably here, in the recent past.  Hopefully it will actually comply with the 30 days now across the state.

I don't know if you noticed, but the State Police part of the application goes quickly. The delay starts once it gets transferred to the local PD. It would be great if we get to skip that step and have everything handled by the State Police.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommy3rd said:

I don't know if you noticed, but the State Police part of the application goes quickly. The delay starts once it gets transferred to the local PD. It would be great if we get to skip that step and have everything handled by the State Police.

My town is quick (for NJ). 28 days for FID change. 14 days for permits. Oct. 1st I'm going to have the Mrs. put in for her card and permits as well as permits for me. 

18 hours ago, kc17 said:

State Police Announces

Enhancement to Firearms Application and Registration System

...will make the Electronic Handgun Purchase to Permit (E-Permits)

Not quite.

Anyway, so now the P2P data will be in a nice, searchable computer database. How convenient.

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

7 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

So they're optically scanning all the completed P2Ps? There's no way they're doing all the data entry manually.

I don't know how they are doing it, but there is definitely an electronic register of any handguns acquired in NJ. If they issue a TRO and you have guns it lists the handguns in detail so the cops know what they are supposed to be confiscating. When I got mine a few years ago (TRO used as a divorce tactic) it listed all my handguns, but not any long guns. Fortunately, I had already lodged them all with gunsitters.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, tommy3rd said:

I'm fortunate enough to live in a quick turn around municipality.  My last set of permits in March went through quickly and under 30 days.  An extension was a total of 7 minutes.

10 hours ago, tommy3rd said:

Glad State Police are quick for you where I live is covered by the State Police and I am now waiting since July 2 (100 days) just for a change of address on my card. 

52 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

That database became searchable around the same time “Skynet became aware,” which was decades ago. 

I wasn't aware of that.

It was my understanding that there was no broad database available.  Local PD's receive a copy of the purchase permit, but I didn't know there was a database where the information was loaded/stored.

6 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I don't know how they are doing it, but there is definitely an electronic register of any handguns acquired in NJ. If they issue a TRO and you have guns it lists the handguns in detail so the cops know what they are supposed to be confiscating. When I got mine a few years ago (TRO used as a divorce tactic) it listed all my handguns, but not any long guns. Fortunately, I had already lodged them all with gunsitters.

Yup.  And you'd better be able to account for *every* handgun on their list.

Sell one out of state a few years ago?  Better have the paperwork showing that, or your residence is going to get searched lovingly.

• Haha 1

Just so im clear on the procedure...

I start here, https://njsp.org/firearms and fill out for P2P.

It then goes to my local PD? (I don't need to do anything, like go in and fill out more forms and pay?)

When it's approved, its an e-permit, so again, no need to go into the local PD to pick up?

If i buy a gun and have it shipped to an FFL, the e-permit is there for them to look up?

If so, that sounds pretty good...

On 9/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, 45Doll said:

So they're optically scanning all the completed P2Ps? There's no way they're doing all the data entry manually.

The data reduction unit enters all the info into the database. I've had them call if something is missing or doesn't seem to jive with what it should be. Looks like those people will be loosing their jobs.

I got a phone call from my local PD today and my P2P will be E-permits! I still have to go there in person to pay for them but my permits will be paperless. I asked about the extension procedure but the person whom I was speaking with didn't have the answer. He said he would have the answer when I come in. It sounded like my case is one of their firsts.

BTW, I submitted my application through the FARS on 10/5 and the criminal record check was done by the State Police on 10/7. The local PD called me on the same day (10/7) and told me that they were just waiting for the Chief to sign my permits. I guess it was changed to E-permits between then and now.

1 hour ago, May20 said:

I asked about the extension procedure but the person whom I was speaking with didn't have the answer.

FYI all the State Police paper permits were being issued already extended. So let us know what your E-permits come through as.

The E-permits must all be under the purview of the NJSP. There's no towns running their own permitting system.

14 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

FYI all the State Police paper permits were being issued already extended. So let us know what your E-permits come through as.

The E-permits must all be under the purview of the NJSP. There's no towns running their own permitting system.

The paper permits did come with the extended date already imprinted. But I thought it still needed Police Chief's signature for the extension to be effective. I will report back about the extension procedure of the E-permits.

3 minutes ago, May20 said:

The paper permits did come with the extended date already imprinted. But I thought it still needed Police Chief's signature for the extension to be effective. I will report back about the extension procedure of the E-permits.

The NJSP paper permits already had the extension signed as well. Of course your local PD was handling your paper permits so it was up to them how to handle an extension.

I suspect that extension process is now out of their hands, and the E-permits will come through with the extension authorized. Otherwise it would be a whole rigmarole to treat E-permits through local PDs separately from those issued by the NJSP.

We'll wait to hear from you. Or anyone else who's had received an E-permit through a local PD or NJSP.

2 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I work at a NJ FFL and I have not rec'd any information about the new system. As soon as I get any info or see one of these E-permits, I will let y'all know.

I'm a little nervous about being one of the firsts to use E-permits for a handgun purchase. What if the dealer doesn't know where they need to go see the E-permit and/or what to do with it? Hope it will go smoothly... 

1 minute ago, May20 said:

I'm a little nervous about being one of the firsts to use E-permits for a handgun purchase. What if the dealer doesn't know where they need to go see the E-permit and/or what to do with it? Hope it will go smoothly... 

Relax.  This is Jersey.  What could possibly go wrong?  :D

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, May20 said:

Ya...I am hoping for some information shortly.

3 hours ago, May20 said:

The local PD called me on the same day (10/7) and told me that they were just waiting for the Chief to sign my permits.

Wonder how long this will be, since most of the delays are from the local PD.

Please update when your permits are paid for and valid. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Vzguy said:

Wonder how long this will be, since most of the delays are from the local PD.

Please update when your permits are paid for and valid. Thanks!

Absolutely! I was told I could go this afternoon by 4 pm to pay for the permits but decided to wait until tomorrow morning due to my work schedule. I don't know if my E-permits will be valid right away upon payment but I'll find out tomorrow. 

On 9/29/2020 at 11:08 PM, tommy3rd said:

My permits are handled by a State Police barracks.  I've been told, time and again, that the holdup is at the Firearms Investigation Unit at State Police HQ in West Trenton, not at the barracks.  Before FARS, I would wait 5 1/2 months for permits.  With FARS, its 3 1/2 months.  The E permits should cut out the time the paper permit sits in West Trenton waiting for someone at the barracks to pick it up.  Could be one or two days or as long as ten days.  Then the barracks commander has to sign them.  And that could take a few days as well.