RobCo

Question for gun dealers and FFLs regarding private sales in NJ

I have a question regarding private sales here in the PRNJ. I know since the Murph took office we now have to go to an FFL to perform the transfer of a private sale. However, the question is knowing how slow NICS has been as of late. Does the seller have to wait at the FFL along with buyer until the NICS comes through or can the seller just fill out and sign the form and collect their money from the buyer and leave thus leaving the firearm with the FFL until the NICS is completed?

thanks

There are a couple of ways of doing it...

If you both go to the FFL at the start and the FFL is willing to hold the gun you can do as you described. The down side is that if it is a handgun and the buyer's BG check fails, you need a pistol permit to get your gun back from the FFL as he will have had to enter it in his bound book. The seller could take the gun home again and meet at the FFL after the BG check is approved.

What I have done recently is I went to the FFL alone and filled in the paperwork. After it came back approved (after a few days at current turnaround times) the seller met me at the FFL to finish the transfer paperwork and the FFL entered it in his book at that time and then immediately transferred it to me. This way the seller does not have to go twice and does not risk losing possession if the sale does not go through. This works because the BG check can be done without all the details of the gun (make, model serial #, etc.), just whether handgun or shotgun/rifle and the quantity.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PK90 said:

If I was a seller, I'd get my money from the buyer, give the dealer the gun, and leave. The buyer's NICS response is irrelevant to me.

This is so heartless. Wouldn't you want to know your gun was going to a good home? Would you do this with a puppy? :shok:;)

36 minutes ago, PK90 said:

If I was a seller, I'd get my money from the buyer, give the dealer the gun, and leave. The buyer's NICS response is irrelevant to me.

If you think about it, that's the same process as buying online from a place like Bud's or Gunbroker.  You complete the sale first, and then the seller delivers the gun to your FFL.  Seller has his money and your FFL has the gun.