Squaregrouper

AR Legality (I read the FAQ's)

I live in Marylandistan, where we have our own illogical laws and am helping my wife's cousin in Bordentown. I don't want to run afoul of NJ laws in helping him with the build.

He bought a stripped lower and LPK. I will be helping him install it with a LaRue MBT trigger. I had him ask the FFL if it was legal to install an M4 upper and the FFL told him yes. My research (here and elsewhere) says the flash hider needs to be removed or be permanently attached. As I understand it, the threaded barrel itself is not illegal.  I can have the flash hider high temp brazed before giving it to him. Is this NJ compliant? (This is the rule the ATF uses to legally attach a brake to a 14.5" barrel and not be a SBR.) The flash hider is not threaded to have a suppressor fit over it.

Collapsing stocks are also illegal if he already has a pistol grip and detachable magazine, correct?

Please advise,

Kyle in Bodymore Murderland

In NJ we play the "evil features" game - you can have 1 evil feature on a semi auto rifle w/ detachable mag.  On ARs that one is the Pistol grip.  Any stock your cousin-in-law will get will need to be pinned, or use a fixed stock (like a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock).  Bayonet lug (if using an A2 front site/gas block) will need to be ground off, and a muzzle brake/compensator will have to be pinned/welded on.  A threaded barrel is one of the evil features.  

• Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

In NJ we play the "evil features" game - you can have 1 evil feature on a semi auto rifle w/ detachable mag.  On ARs that one is the Pistol grip.  Any stock your cousin-in-law will get will need to be pinned, or use a fixed stock (like a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock).  Bayonet lug (if using an A2 front site/gas block) will need to be ground off, and a muzzle brake/compensator will have to be pinned/welded on.  A threaded barrel is one of the evil features.  

Ahhhhh. Glad you responded. I didn't even THINK about the bayonet lug.

Our craziest law is an AR15 in .223 or 5.56 has to be an HBAR. HBAR's can be sold with a simple 4473. Non HBAR profile barrels received after 9/30/2013 can get you 5 years in prison. There is no definition of an HBAR in the law, only that it has to be advertised as "heavy" by the manufacturer. This law doesn't apply to any other caliber.

Thanks for the info.

27 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

Agreed with @Krdshrk's post. Just make sure that a muzzle brake or comp is used instead of a flash hider. 

What I learned from another thread on this forum is that an A2 flash hider is clearly a no go, but to also be aware of open ended brakes or compensators. Brakes shouldn't have a exit much wider than the diameter of the projectile.

Correct?

52 minutes ago, Squaregrouper said:

What I learned from another thread on this forum is that an A2 flash hider is clearly a no go, but to also be aware of open ended brakes or compensators. Brakes shouldn't have a exit much wider than the diameter of the projectile.

Correct?

Eh - some can - the whole "pinky rule" is bunk.  If you have questions on which brakes/comps are good just ask.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Eh - some can - the whole "pinky rule" is bunk.  If you have questions on which brakes/comps are good just ask.

I ordered an el-cheapo brake for him that clearly isn't a flash hider. I have a bunch of guys willing to pin and weld it for me for free on my "local gun forum". (I have raised a lot of pro 2A hell in front of our politicians in Analpolis (sic), so I have many allies in Marylandistan)

• Like 2