FunGun

Newbie gets first gun!

Hey, glad I found this forum.  I've been interested in guns my whole life but my family was never into the sport.  As a kid in Pennsylvania, I owned a few BB guns and some pellet guns.  One pretty nice one I had was a .22 caliber S&W single shot CO2 target pistol.  That was a long time ago.  Now I'm in New Jersey and I decided it was time to fulfill a lifelong desire - a bucket list item, if you will.  Got the Firearms ID and submitted an order for a Troy A4 "Other Firearms" 9mm.  It will take a while to come in, but I'm excited.  I hope to gain a lot of information from the experience of the people on this forum, as I'm new to this.  First thing I want to do when I get the firearm is to take a safety class and any other beginner classes that might be appropriate.  I'm from Somerset County, right on the border of Hunterdon.  I'll also be looking for a range to shoot at.  Glad to be here and looking forward to my new hobby!

• Like 5

Welcome! 

What made you choose a 9mm "other" as your first?  

Be sure to check the"Meet Ups" section for the clay shoots out in Clinton.  Doesn't sound like are far away from the Clinton Wildlife Management Area.  You contended a shotgun.  Just bring a box of clays and some shells.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

What made you choose a 9mm "other" as your first? 

I wanted something for home defense and range shooting.  I talked to an old friend who has been a long-time shooting/gun enthusiast and an ex-LAPD officer.  He suggested a 9mm carbine of some sort.  With the current state of affairs and New Jersey restrictions, it was very difficult to find a 9mm that suited what I wanted.  I came across the Troy A4 and liked the idea of it being an "other firearm".  It seems to cover all the bases of what I'm looking for and my friend tells me that Troy is a well regarded manufacturer.  He suggested I go for it.  I had been considering one of the Ruger PCC's but the size of the A4 is very appealing to me.  Hope I'm happy with my purchase!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FunGun said:

I wanted something for home defense and range shooting.  I talked to an old friend who has been a long-time shooting/gun enthusiast and an ex-LAPD officer.  He suggested a 9mm carbine of some sort.  With the current state of affairs and New Jersey restrictions, it was very difficult to find a 9mm that suited what I wanted.  I came across the Troy A4 and liked the idea of it being an "other firearm".  It seems to cover all the bases of what I'm looking for and my friend tells me that Troy is a well regarded manufacturer.  He suggested I go for it.  I had been considering one of the Ruger PCC's but the size of the A4 is very appealing to me.  Hope I'm happy with my purchase!!!

I like it!

not a ruger pcc fan, if you go that route you gotta get the original imho  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FunGun said:

If you are looking for some range ammo, there is a listing for some 9mm fmj on the wts section here! Also make a post on the wtb section also! Look into ammoseek.com for instock alerts also! Been buying ammo from Target sports, Simmons sporting goods, natchez, lax ammo and recoil gunworks during this ammo storage online. Also check on your local gun shops also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

If you are looking for some range ammo, there is a listing for some 9mm fmj on the wts section here! Also make a post on the wtb section also! Look into ammoseek.com for instock alerts also! Been buying ammo from Target sports, Simmons sporting goods, natchez, lax ammo and recoil gunworks during this ammo storage online. Also check on your local gun shops also.

Excellent!  Thanks!  Are hollow points legal in NJ?  I've read that they are superior for stopping ability over FMJ.  So for home defense HP's sound like a better choice.  FMJ for the range...

Hollow points are legal to own. There are travel restrictions, think of like a handgun. Longer 9mm barrels have a preference for 147 grain bullets from what I hear. 

Also get some mags for your gun! You can find them on ebay, gunmagwarehouse.com, and other places. You thinking of getting a handgun next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FunGun said:

Yes, maybe a handgun next.  I have to submit the application for a pistol permit..  My wife also would like to get a handgun.  Most likely, 9mm for both of us.

My suggestion, is to get a handgun that will take the same magazines as that Troy other. I believe they take glock mags so go with a glock 19, if you can find one of course.

13 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

My suggestion, is to get a handgun that will take the same magazines as that Troy other. I believe they take glock mags so go with a glock 19, if you can find one of course.

I'm also a fan of having the same magazine for PCC and pistol.