NJSigfan

SG load data with unique

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping to leverage the more savvy reloaders for some Load data sharing.   I recently bought several pounds of Unique and wanted to load up some SG rounds, but most of the published load data I’ve found with Unique calls for Remington wads if using Winchester primers.  Unfortunately all I have are WAA12SL clones made by clay busters.  Does anyone have any data to share using, the WAA12SL wads, Winchester primers and Remington hulls?

I also have wads for straight wall shells (cb6100-12) like federal, but they are 1oz wads and the data is for 1 1/8 oz.

thanks

On 10/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, NJSigfan said:

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping to leverage the more savvy reloaders for some Load data sharing.   I recently bought several pounds of Unique and wanted to load up some SG rounds, but most of the published load data I’ve found with Unique calls for Remington wads if using Winchester primers.  Unfortunately all I have are WAA12SL clones made by clay busters.  Does anyone have any data to share using, the WAA12SL wads, Winchester primers and Remington hulls?

I also have wads for straight wall shells (cb6100-12) like federal, but they are 1oz wads and the data is for 1 1/8 oz.

thanks

Unique is best suited for 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz loads. This is where it shines for a 12 ga.

My Hercules manual from 1992 shows Unique paired with FGM Target, Remington Premier Target and WW-AA hulls with Fed. 209, 209P and W209 primers respectively and WWAA12SL wads in their 28 gram International target load category. Charge weights are 27.5 grains for FGM hulls, 27 grains for Rem. Prem. hulls, and 25.5 grains for WW-AA hulls. Dram Equiv. for the powder charge is 3 1/2 DE and velocity is rated @ 1345 fps. Fast for International style shooting, but these will hit hard at both ends of the gun. 

Hodgdon's Clays, Int. Clays and Titewad are more suited to 1 oz. loads in a 12 ga. 

You may find some additional info on Shotgunwold or Trapshooter forums. 

3 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

Guess I need to find more wads for 1 1/8 oz loads or new powder to keep using these 1oz wads.  

Clay Buster CB1100-12 Wads (WAA12SL equivalent) will work with 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. 

Shot-cup capacity reflects nominal depth for a proper crimp over the pellets, and also so that the shot is not bouncing around freely and getting deformed.  You don't want to over fill or under fill a cup.

Technically, you could use deep 1 1/2oz wads and load it with 1oz with felt or cardboard under the shot.  It will act as a filler and bring the shot up to the correct level so that you get a proper crimp.  i.e. The crimp wont push into the shell.

3 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

QQ - what is FGM target?

Federal Gold Medal hull

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Clay Buster CB1100-12 Wads (WAA12SL equivalent) will work with 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. 

Shot-cup capacity reflects nominal depth for a proper crimp over the pellets, and also so that the shot is not bouncing around freely and getting deformed.  You don't want to over fill or under fill a cup.

Technically, you could use deep 1 1/2oz wads and load it with 1oz with felt or cardboard under the shot.  It will act as a filler and bring the shot up to the correct level so that you get a proper crimp.  i.e. The crimp wont push into the shell.

Federal Gold Medal hull

Thank you for the info!,

I cover all my shotshell reloading with the following powders, and with these I can fill every need to load from 3/4 oz. loads up to 2 oz. in 20, 16 & 12 ga.: 

• Red Dot
  • Green Dot
  • Blue Dot
  • Clays
  • International Clays
  • Universal Clays
  • Titewad
  • WSF
  • Hi-Skor 700X
  • Blue Dot
  • Longshot

I know there are other shotshell powders out there but I've never had a need to try something new.