antiriad

Car parking illegally on private property

I have a friend in Jersey City who owns a home business with 2 rentals and 4 parking spots for rent. He occasionally gets a guy with a black jeep parking illegally on the property for a few hours and then sneaks back into the car and takes off. He has called the police 2 times but they haven't done anything or even give him a ticket. Absolutley ridiculus. He even had called at a towing company once to have the vehicle removed and they told him that he will need to have a sign of something to that extend. He didnt really want to do this because he didn't have his home insured as business

I told him to get a boot with lock the next time this happens and have the tow truck come and tow him. He is afraid to do this but I told him to call the police when the guy shows up to have the boot removed.

Does anyone know what the laws are or he has any experience of the matter? I am just saying what I would have done if somebody had done this on my property but I don't want to give bad advice.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, antiriad said:

He even had called at a towing company once to have the vehicle removed and they told him that he will need to have a sign of something to that extend. He didnt really want to do this because he didn't have his home insured as business

I don't understand why he won't put up a No Parking sign.  You don't need to have a home business to have a No Parking sign.  Tell him to put up the sign so people will know that they can't park there and that they'll be towed away if they do. 

Based on what you've said Jeep guy may have no idea that anyone cares he's parking in the spot.

Randomly putting a boot on someones vehicle is a mistake IMO. 

A tow company isn't going to take a car away if there's no sign and an argument about why the tow is taking place.

Not sure the police will do anything other than save your friend from an angry guy in a Jeep.

Putting up a sign solves all of the problems:
- Clearly notifies everyone that it's a private parking spot and that violators will be towed at their expense
- Allows the tow companies to actually come and get the car
- Provides backup if the police need to get involved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I went through this in my town.   PD said no problem posting signage on private property, if it says no parking they will ask the person to move (which was fine for us, our problem was parents blocking our lane to pick up kids at the middle school.).  I was told a tow away zone would let you have cars towed at your expense, but it wasn’t sufficient for towing at owners expense-I didn’t pursue the question of what had to be set up for that

Gasoline and a match??? Just sayen...

Seriously, signage. He probably doesn’t realize he’s parking on private property, or that it’s a problem. 
Tow companies won’t tow it unless it’s marked as no parking, private property. 

2 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Funny I was thinking the same thing, have used this many times.

But, I would agree with putting a sign first, maybe the guy doesn't know if no one told him. After that, the valve stem.

We've had an abandoned vehicle on our property at work for over a year.  More like almost 2 years at this point.

The property manager doesn't want to pay to have it towed.

Anyone want a Nissan?  Seriously, come haul it off.  No one will care, me specially.

Tell me when you're coming, I'll turn off the cameras.

12 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Call the Kars for Kids guys - they'll come and take it. 

I need someone even more shady than them since we don't have a title.   We checked with the cops and the owner lives in central Jersey somewhere but it's not stolen.

It was reported abandoned once sitting on a nearby street, then someone moved it into our parking lot.  We reported it, but the cops can't do anything with it, we have to have it towed.  There is a fire department chopping area that is connected to our parking lot, I wanted to just move it over there so they can cut it up.

I was willing to just use the forklift to move it but they are worried about getting into trouble.  I just want the damn thing to go away.

20 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I need someone even more shady than them since we don't have a title.   We checked with the cops and the owner lives in central Jersey somewhere but it's not stolen.

It was reported abandoned once sitting on a nearby street, then someone moved it into our parking lot.  We reported it, but the cops can't do anything with it, we have to have it towed.  There is a fire department chopping area that is connected to our parking lot, I wanted to just move it over there so they can cut it up.

I was willing to just use the forklift to move it but they are worried about getting into trouble.  I just want the damn thing to go away.

Forklift it onto the side of a public thoroughfare late some evening. The municipality will take care of it. 

HAHA the parking lot at my work is right of 80 and we get the same shit all the time. Either drunk drivers crashing their cars late and night and leaving them in the parking lot, or just abandoned cars for no reason. We had one car that was abandoned almost 1 year to the day. The owner finally came to get it, my coworker was outside at the time and talked to her...she literally just had financial stuff going on in life and couldn't come get it towed the entire time but had it insured and registered LOL

Had the same problem in an apartment I rented 30 years ago.  Restaurant across the street would fill my parking lot and every weekend I had to walk 4 or 5 blocks every time I went out. 

I did some reading and found this:

NJSA 39:4-56.6      

1.   No person shall park or leave unattended a vehicle on private property without the consent of the owner or other person in control or possession of the property or for a period in excess of that for which consent was given, except in the case of emergency or disablement of the vehicle in which case the owner or operator thereof shall arrange for the expeditious removal of the vehicle.  This section shall not apply to manufactured or mobile homes left unattended and for which there exists or existed a rental agreement to occupy a space on the property.

Subject to the requirements of section 7 of P.L.2007, c.193 (C. 56:13-13), the owner or other person in control or possession of the property on which a vehicle is parked or left unattended in violation of this section may remove or hire another person to remove and store the vehicle.  It shall be the obligation of the owner of the vehicle to pay the reasonable costs for the removal and for any storage which may result from such removal before he shall be entitled to recover the possession of the vehicle.  If the owner of the vehicle refuses to pay such costs or fails to make any claim for the return of the vehicle within 90 days after such removal, the vehicle may be sold at public auction in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S. 2A:44-20 through N.J.S. 2A:44-31

My landlord put up no parking signs and then found a local tow company who would come every weekend and tow.  As soon as one car was getting towed, the restaurant would clear out as everyone ran out to move their cars.  

I don't know who the towing company was (and this was 30 years ago) but the guy had a repo-wrecker so maybe a repo towing company would be interested in the business.

1 hour ago, maintenanceguy said:

I don't know who the towing company was (and this was 30 years ago) but the guy had a repo-wrecker so maybe a repo towing company would be interested in the business.

I know a guy LOL

11 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

A crazy idea, I know, but has he tried leaving a note under the windscreen wiper? No need to be rude - the guy might just not realize that he's pissing off the land owner.

I think this is the right answer. There's a good chance the dude will just bugger off elsewhere. But if he keeps doing it, I'd definitely call the authorities, boot it, and call a towing service. 

16 hours ago, antiriad said:

I have a friend in Jersey City who owns a home business with 2 rentals and 4 parking spots for rent. He occasionally gets a guy with a black jeep parking illegally on the property for a few hours and then sneaks back into the car and takes off. He has called the police 2 times but they haven't done anything or even give him a ticket. Absolutley ridiculus. He even had called at a towing company once to have the vehicle removed and they told him that he will need to have a sign of something to that extend. He didnt really want to do this because he didn't have his home insured as business

I told him to get a boot with lock the next time this happens and have the tow truck come and tow him. He is afraid to do this but I told him to call the police when the guy shows up to have the boot removed.

Does anyone know what the laws are or he has any experience of the matter? I am just saying what I would have done if somebody had done this on my property but I don't want to give bad advice.

Thanks

go to pep bois and buy a valve core tool. every time dude parks his vehicle there, loosen each valve core 1/4 turn.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

sprinkle abrasive carbide powder on the windshield wiper blades,   squish a blueberry or similar thing on windshield directly in front of drivers line of sight.       driver gets in car, drives down street ....... driver notices windshield is dirty .....driver pushes windshield squirter to clean window.            FYI  brownells sells the powder 

Put up sign. Call tow company that will tow. Had a guy doing it on my lot. He was hiding from warrant and repo man. Was warned once by myself. Tow company came the next time. He was pissed told him I warned him and handed him care of tow company. He never got his car back since tow and storage fees were over $500 and kept get higher everyday. Cops got him on warrant and I Never saw the guy again. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Why are so many people advocating for criminal damage when a simple attempt at communication may solve the problem with nobody getting upset or arrested?

back about 20 years or so i learned a super valuable lesson about asking a douche to act in a civil manner.    Had a scum bag neighbor, requested something very simple of him about noise coming from his property.   well that made it 10 times worse for me and I had to sell my house and move because "legally" I had no recourse.   Move forward to today,  I have a similar situation,  this time I know the rules of engagement only this time the scum bag has no friggin idea of where all the problems he is encountering are coming from.  

Funny story about the first douche was that they utilized a 900mhz cordless phone and came in loud and clear on my scanner,  lots of good intel to act on,  I was always one step ahead of his antics.  

some people are just scumbags and need to be dealt with in covert manners or you might bring more misery to yourself if not handled correctly.  

• Agree 2