always_an_eagle

Figured I needed an other lever gun

3 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Great find. I had never known about the Winchester 94 musket until your post. Really great looking gun. I wonder how it shoots.

I am wondering that myself! Supposedly, 30-30 coming out of a 26 inch barrel has a slight increase of 100-200 fps. The ladder sights aren't measured in yards, but by inches, I will post a picture when I get back home. Winchester would offer a musket version of  their popular lever guns like the 1873 to try and secure military contracts back in the day. They were never as popular as the rifle, short rifle and carbine variants.

6 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

I am wondering that myself! Supposedly, 30-30 coming out of a 26 inch barrel has a slight increase of 100-200 fps. The ladder sights aren't measured in yards, but by inches, I will post a picture when I get back home. Winchester would offer a musket version of  their popular lever guns like the 1873 to try and secure military contracts back in the day. They were never as popular as the rifle, short rifle and carbine variants.

I like odd guns in normal calibers. A lever action musket is something I may look for in the future.

Almost bought one of those from Harry's (which tells you how long ago it was) - but lost interest when the omniscient counter guy kept referring to it as a "Mannlicher".

I do have the rifle version of your Musket (which is why I wanted the Musket too)...

DSC00733.jpg

But my favorite lever guns are my two Model 71's. One is an original Deluxe model with a three-digit serial number (first full year of production - 1936) and the other is a Winchester / Browning / Miroku High Grade. Both, of course, in .348 Winchester.

Mod-71s.jpg

And you thought I only liked revolvers. :D

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Almost bought one of those from Harry's (which tells you how long ago it was) - but lost interest when the omniscient counter guy kept referring to it as a "Mannlicher".

I do have the rifle version of your Musket (which is why I wanted the Musket too)...

DSC00733.jpg

But my favorite lever guns are my two Model 71's. One is an original Deluxe model with a three-digit serial number (first full year of production - 1936) and the other is a Winchester / Browning / Miroku High Grade. Both, of course, in .348 Winchester.

Mod-71s.jpg

And you thought I only liked revolvers. :D

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Where are the wheel thingies?

11 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

I'm back home and rifle in hand to snap this picture of the rear sight ladder

Anyone has an idea on what the marks mean?

20201007_191353.jpg

I have seen a lot of older military ladder sights where the numbers are in hundreds of yards. That is my guess on what yours is.

22 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

Just picked up a Winchester 94 1971 NRA Musket today. Figured I need a 30-30 in my life. Has a 26 inch barrel and a 7+1 capacity. 

a7014a5.jpg

f47bcfc.jpg

64c77b4.jpg

e22ff27.jpg

Very nice! Best of luck to you using it...........and finding ammo for it:D