EWC88

Looking for a beater

So my job has me all over the place and I think it’s time to start looking for a beater/commuter car. Doesn’t need to be pretty just functional/good on gas preferably. 

If you guys were looking for a commuter/beater what mileage number would you stay away from? What brands? And even maybe how old of a car would you max go? 

Open to anything. Been scanning Craigslist and all over place. My huge this is what mileage number should I be nervous of. Yes all depends if the owner beat the balls out of it, but still is over 100k a nightmare or still good.

1 minute ago, EWC88 said:

Open to anything. Been scanning Craigslist and all over place. My huge this is what mileage number should I be nervous of. Yes all depends if the owner beat the balls out of it, but still is over 100k a nightmare or still good.

You're right, if the previous owner didn't take care of the vehicle, over 100k might be a nightmare.  I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with over 250k miles.  Runs great, no major (or minor) problems.  If your job takes you out in all kinds of weather, I'd recommend a Jeep.  But that's just me.

2 hours ago, EWC88 said:

Far as budget maybe $6-$7k? Willing to spend more if have to but not trying spend to much where I can just go to dealer. 

You can get prob get two base Grand Prixs for that!

3800 V6 Series III engine is a tank.  Base models generally weren't beat on like the ones with super chargers.

Also look at some older Buicks (LaCrosse , Regals, Century) with the 3800 engine.  Generally owned by older people who don't drive much (lower miles) and took care of their cars.

Seriously, search Craigslist and the like and look for ones for sale by owner.  They get decent gas mileage, are pretty reliable and easy to fix if you can work some basic tools and have a large trunk. I would look for one with less than 125k. 

The weak part on these cars is the tranny and rust.  But you can get a rebuilt tranny for for less than $2k.  So if you pick one up for $2-$3k (or less) and have to put a new tranny in your still under budget.  And it will last a long time.  Watch for rust on the strut towers.  Especially rear ones under the trunk carpet.

I would also look at older Toyota Corrollas or Camrys.  But they will be more expensive.

3800 4 Life!!

26 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

You can get prob get two base Grand Prixs for that!

3800 V6 Series III engine is a tank.  Base models generally weren't beat on like the ones with super chargers.

Also look at some older Buicks (LaCrosse , Regals, Century) with the 3800 engine.  Generally owned by older people who don't drive much (lower miles) and took care of their cars.

Seriously, search Craigslist and the like and look for ones for sale by owner.  They get decent gas mileage, are pretty reliable and easy to fix if you can work some basic tools and have a large trunk. I would look for one with less than 125k. 

The weak part on these cars is the tranny and rust.  But you can get a rebuilt tranny for for less than $2k.  So if you pick one up for $2-$3k (or less) and have to put a new tranny in your still under budget.  And it will last a long time.  Watch for rust on the strut towers.  Especially rear ones under the trunk carpet.

I would also look at older Toyota Corrollas or Camrys.  But they will be more expensive.

3800 4 Life!!

Yep...I figured you be along in a little while...

• Haha 1

Here's one.  There are plenty out there.  Just need to search around.

Brake lines rust out in this area also.  So older cars, keep that in mind.

I drove over 2 hours to get mine.  2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G.  $3200 with less than 75k  miles.  Had all new brake lines put in for around $1200. So for less than $4500 I'll be driving this car for several years with no car payment. 

Defintely needs new struts but I'll do that myself.  Easy (EASY) to work on.  We drove it on our family trip last year from NJ to Dollywood (Tennessee) and back.  

I drove close to 150 miles round trip for the last shotgun shoot.  Almost all Parkway driving.  Averaged 26 MPG.  Not bad for a V6.  Mines "Supa Charged" so non-super charged would do a little better.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/poughkeepsie-2006-pontiac-grand-prix/7207134712.html

I would SERIOUSLY look at this.  Asking $1200 and only 82k miles!  Looks like has a little rust so ask them to send pics of rear strut support towers.  You could put new gas and brake lines in that and have a great little beater for around $3500.  Leather (prob heated) seats to boot!

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/d/bible-school-park-2004-buick-regal/7209918448.html

Cars to stay away from....most GM vehicles after 2008.  GARBAGE.  Also used hybrid or electic cars.  Battery packs for those things can cost $5k plus!  

What ever you get, have an independent mechanic check it out first.  Best $100 - $150 you'll probably spend.

I know you want something with good MPG, but the older Crown Vics are pretty indestructible also.  And roomy sedan.  GM 800 Series (1999ish - 2006) trucks / SUVs (Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, etc) are gas hogs but damn near indestructible as well.  The 2WD versions are less expensive than the 4WD versions.

Some Youtube channels to check out:

CarsThatLast

CarWizard

ScottyKilmer

You'll prob end up with a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry or Corrolla.  All solid choices as well.

Good luck with your search.  

15 hours ago, EWC88 said:

So my job has me all over the place and I think it’s time to start looking for a beater/commuter car. Doesn’t need to be pretty just functional/good on gas preferably. 

If you guys were looking for a commuter/beater what mileage number would you stay away from? What brands? And even maybe how old of a car would you max go? 

call mike at iron horse. 856-577-1760. tell him john told ya to call.

2003-2005

Dodge Stratus /  Chrysler Sebring

Sedan or convertible (NOT the coupe, it's a mitsubishi eclipse underneath. totally different car.)

2.7L v6 engine.  Good for mid-high 20s to low 30s depending on driving style.

cloth interior is more comfortable.

don't get the power driver's seat if you can avoid it, as the nylon gears in the drive train are moments away from failing and impossible to source.

you can have a sunroof if you want.

4 minutes ago, Sota said:

2003-2005

Dodge Stratus /  Chrysler Sebring

Sedan or convertible (NOT the coupe, it's a mitsubishi eclipse underneath. totally different car.)

2.7L v6 engine.  Good for mid-high 20s to low 30s depending on driving style.

cloth interior is more comfortable.

don't get the power driver's seat if you can avoid it, as the nylon gears in the drive train are moments away from failing and impossible to source.

you can have a sunroof if you want.

avoid these. they're junk.

14 hours ago, EWC88 said:

Far as budget maybe $6-$7k? Willing to spend more if have to but not trying spend to much where I can just go to dealer. 

you will be far better than your current requirements for this.  Plenty of options.  I'd go with something great on gas, you don't care about dings, scratches, interior etc,

12 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Not sure about a model car but a friend of mind told me he often finds good deals in 55+ communities.  Low mileage cars that are usually well maintained.  Sometimes selling for a cheap price.

My second house is in the world's largest over 55 community, "The Villages".

I can tell you that you are absolutely correct.   Since these places are God's waiting room, when the resident sheds the mortal coil, the family fire sale's everything.   That said, MOST of the cars are Luxury types.  You're not going to find a lot of commuter type cars.

My mom owned property in The Villages as well and we sold her 2011 Cadillac for $17,000.    It was 5 years old at the time with just over 13,000 miles.   The car was around 55k new.  I know Caddy value tends to plummet quickly, but I almost kept it just so I could drive it.  It really was a nice car.

Thanks everyone for commenting on this! I am open to whatever and far as gas mileage, yes I would want something good on gas, but in reality I’ll take whatever. I will check out those grand prix’s and John I will call them, Sewell it’s right down road from me! 

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

Thanks everyone for commenting on this! I am open to whatever and far as gas mileage, yes I would want something good on gas, but in reality I’ll take whatever. I will check out those grand prix’s and John I will call them, Sewell it’s right down road from me! 

3800 powered Buicks may be better deal and better maintained than Grand Prix.  

Here's a great video about 3800 powered cars.  

I would try to buy from private sale rather than a dealership. Also, may want to invest in some CarFaxs.  Will give you an idea of how often car had oil changes / serviced, number of owners, reported accidents / damage,, mileage throughout cars life, etc.  If buying private sale make sure they have the title in hand.

11 hours ago, Malsua said:

My second house is in the world's largest over 55 community, "The Villages".

I can tell you that you are absolutely correct.   Since these places are God's waiting room, when the resident sheds the mortal coil, the family fire sale's everything.   That said, MOST of the cars are Luxury types.  You're not going to find a lot of commuter type cars.

My mom owned property in The Villages as well and we sold her 2011 Cadillac for $17,000.    It was 5 years old at the time with just over 13,000 miles.   The car was around 55k new.  I know Caddy value tends to plummet quickly, but I almost kept it just so I could drive it.  It really was a nice car.

And on that note...also nearby in FL, we are selling my way over 55 in-laws 2004 Grand Marquis LS. Really nice car, moves proper with a v8, would love to keep it but just not practical. 

• Like 2

Will be going to iron horse this week, and also been scanning craigslist a lot. Anyone have any reviews on Hyundai sonata’s? Found couple low miles (50k). 

if looking at a Honda what would the highest mileage you buy at? Same with any car with the 3800 motor? I had a boneville with that motor and it did great and last long. 

11 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

Will be going to iron horse this week, and also been scanning craigslist a lot. Anyone have any reviews on Hyundai sonata’s? Found couple low miles (50k). 

if looking at a Honda what would the highest mileage you buy at? Same with any car with the 3800 motor? I had a boneville with that motor and it did great and last long. 

I personally would not buy any car with over about 30k miles but that's simply because I can afford it.  If I just wanted a work beater, I wouldn't have any issue with a 90k+ miles Accord or CRV even.  My only issue with the Civic is that I'm a little too tall to drive one constantly.  You can also look at the Acuras.  The RDX models are wonderful to drive but they are Luxury cars and the resale on them is pretty abysmal so you can often find a steal.  My TLX has 114k miles, runs great, some deals on the 15s.   MDX and RDX retain their value so no deals there.

Look here for a list of long lasting cars.    There's a commonality about the manufacturers :) .

https://www.iseecars.com/longest-lasting-cars-study