deerpark

FPC files brief in 3rd Circuit re: NJ's large cap mag bans.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/nj-lcm-ban-important-brief

PHILADELPHIA (September 24, 2020) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) and Firearms Policy Foundation (FPF) announced the filing of an important legal brief in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals regarding the State of New Jersey’s ban on so-called “large-capacity magazines” that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition.

The brief is available online at FPCLegal.org.

New Jersey prohibits magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Recently, a panel of the Third Circuit Court of Appeals upheld that prohibition, so the plaintiffs have petitioned the full court to rehear the case en banc.

As recently reported, Judge Matey’s dissent in the panel decision cited FPC and FPF’s previous amicus brief extensively, to document the long history of repeating arms in America. FPC and FPF have filed another brief in support of the petition for rehearing en banc, supplementing and elaborating on the history the court has found useful.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/third-circuit-upheld-nj-magazine_capacity-limit

WHAT HAPPENED:

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals today released a 2-1 panel decision in Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc., et al, v. Attorney General New Jersey, et al. affirming the district court’s judgment upholding New Jersey’s limit on ammunition magazines to a capacity of 10 rounds.

Today’s Opinion determined that the 3rd Circuit had already ruled on the constitutionality of the ban on so-called large capacity magazines (LCMs) in an earlier decision, and that the court was therefore bound to follow its earlier precedent.

However, there were some significant and positive developments worth taking note of.

Judge Matey, who authored the dissenting opinion and was the only Judge on the panel who reached the merits of the case, agreed with FPC’s position.  This case in particular underscores how important it is to get the right judges appointed, and then provide them with the resources and insight necessary to get pro-Liberty outcomes.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

FPC>NRA

I'll be giving them some more of my money.

You do understand that the FPC *submitted a brief* in the case that ANJRPC, the NRA branch organization in New Jersey, *originally started and has funded thus far* ?

I contribute to the FPC too, but keep some perspective here.  

5 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

You do understand that the FPC *submitted a brief* in the case that ANJRPC, the NRA branch organization in New Jersey, *originally started and has funded thus far* ?

I contribute to the FPC too, but keep some perspective here.  

Thanks but I'll stick to my conclusion that the FPC > NRA ; which is based on more than just this specific matter.

I encourage everyone to join.  You can donate as little as $5 bucks.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/