oldguysrule649

First visit to Cherry Ridge

I have been a non-range member of ANJRPC for the last seven years. Decided to upgrade my membership to include range privileges.  Completed the orientation and quiz last weekend.  Am planning to go to Cherry Ridge tomorrow for the first time.  Looking forward to seeing the facility, lay of the land, etc.  If any of you will be there I encourage you to say hello.  I will be the bald guy wearing a NJ2AS cap.

Am driving 80 miles to get there so want to make the most of the day.  My primary shooting objective will be to shoot my RPR (556/223) at 200 and 300 yards. Never shot beyond 100 yards before.

Plan to also bring my Ruger Mark IV 22lr to shoot at the multi-purpose range. My understanding is there are numerous metal targets to plink at there. 

Thirdly, will bring my 12ga shotgun to try at the 5 stand clay range. However the range calendar shows an all day shotgun class is planned. So not sure if that uses that range. I will call today and see what guidance I get. 

Lastly, there is also a precision pistol state championship there this weekend.   Will be interesting to observe.  Hopefully the facility won’t be jammed up with people/cars.

I would appreciate any thoughts, guidance, tips, etc that you may have.

thanks,  Art

Sounds like you'll have a fun day!

I believe the long distance range switches from 200 yards to 300 yards at 1:00, so be sure to get there early if you want to shoot at 200.  For the past few weeks I haven't seen tons of people on that range, but I go during the week, so a Saturday could be different.

Yes, there are tons of targets up at the plinking range, so you'll have fun there. 

It's too bad there's an event at the shotgun range.  The 5 stand is very fun.

Welcome to CR!

You are gonna love it!  Outdoors (although its getting colder now)!  Weekends has been random.  Last Saturday was relatively empty with about 10 ports closed at the 100 yard range for a close.  They usually close 5 ports (one port in between due to social distancing for a total of 10) or so for whatever classes.  So you should be fine at the shotgun target range.  

I'll be there tomorrow too, but I will mainly be at the 100 yard range.  Maybe I'll see you there tomorrow.

*1776# just in case you forget.

Don't forget to pack a drink, snacks and a cigar if your inclined lol. Since moving to FL CR is about the only thing I really miss. Don't be dismayed if it's too crowded today given what's going on there. During the week it's typically much different, not unusual to have a range to yourself or one other shooter. Try not to smile too much as you wade thru the spent brass at the plinking range. Enjoy!

So, how did it go?  I agree with siderman, that if you can get over there during the week, you will have a lot more elbow room.  It’s a beautiful facility, well run.  If you can get there early and bring along enough ammo, you can have hours of fun. 

Thanks all for the feedback. Ryu, unfortunately I was at the 200 yard range so missed you.  If you noticed a guy in a silver grey Jeep Grand Cherokee drive thru the 100 yard parking lot around lunch time, that may have been me checking it out, lol.   Perhaps next time we will be able to introduce ourselves.

Overall, had a great first day at Cherry Ridge.   Spent the morning at the 200 yard range shooting my RPR 556.  Will measure my groups tomorrow but overall was pleased given it was my first time shooting at 200 yards. It was very windy, so that was an added challenge.  On average there were only 2-3 guys there including me.

After lunch I visited the 22 plinking range.  Lots of fun.  I contributed 300 rounds of brass to the "wade" area, lol.

Lastly, I spent some time using the 5-Stand clay throwers at the shotgun range.   Only the second time I have shot clays (or more accurately, TRIED to shoot clays).  The first time being an NJGUNFORUMS meetup at Clinton about 5 years ago.   I was able to confirm that I still suck at it, lol.  A true Opportunity for Improvement, as we say in work.   For someone shooting alone, it was nice that you can set a delay (1-5 seconds) before the clay is launched.

regards