Kennydnj

I may be a dope but.........

Hello

So I may be a dope for this but I imagine I wont regret it (hopefully). I purchased 2 guns that I have never fired, picked up or even touched. I did this out of feeling of desperation. I wanted something to put in my empty gun cabinet and just kinda went with it. I feel like I didnt have time to treat these purchases they way i usually do. I would have preferred to go shoot different guns to find out what i like and narrow down based on that and cost and availability etc. But...ranges are busy, FFLs seem busy, ammo seems so unavailable and so on. So as I said I was having a feeling of desperation. I waiting to go pick one up at FFL this coming week and the other is on the way to FFL.(delayed)

So I went with a Springfield Armory XD-E 9mm and a HENRY H004SE2 GOLDEN BOY 22LR SILVER EAGLE 2. I'd really like to get a shotgun next. Any recommendations? I don't plan on hunting. I guess I'd like to use to it to skeet shoot for fun but also perhaps home defense?

Anyway I'm hoping for the best and no regrets.

Ken

44 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

So I may be a dope for this but I imagine I wont regret it (hopefully). I purchased 2 guns that I have never fired, picked up or even touched.

Millions of American soldiers have been through the same deal, and they have no problem kicking ass, where ass needs to be kicked.

45 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

I feel like I didnt have time to treat these purchases they way i usually do.

Catch as catch can.  You got what you felt you NEEDED now, what was available at the time.  Sometime in the future, you can get what you want.

47 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

I went with a Springfield Armory XD-E 9mm and a HENRY H004SE2 GOLDEN BOY 22LR SILVER EAGLE

Both acceptable choices, some may even say excellent.  Neither gun is badly made.

48 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

I'd really like to get a shotgun next.

First choice, a used (yes used) pre-remlin 870 or Wingmaster.  Second choice, Mossberg 500.  Both can be configured for HD or clay shooting, and switched back and forth with very little work.

• Like 3

What is your ammo inventory look like? I would suggest before spending money on a new (or new to you) shotgun and the ammo for said shotgun, it might benefit you to use those funds to make sure you got enough ammo for your current firearm inventory. You got some good quality firearms, especially the Henry. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Millions of American soldiers have been through the same deal, and they have no problem kicking ass, where ass needs to be kicked.

Thats a really good point. Never thought of it that way.

Catch as catch can.  You got what you felt you NEEDED now, what was available at the time.  Sometime in the future, you can get what you want.

Yeah, i guess that about sums it up. I agree.

Both acceptable choices, some may even say excellent.  Neither gun is badly made.

Well thats good to know. I did read some negative things about SA after I paid for the pistol and was thinking "oh God, whats the chances I just decided to buy from a manufacturer that was involved in some 2A controversy not long ago" I just pictured the FFL receiving it and saying "who had this POS Springfield Armory gun sent to my place".

First choice, a used (yes used) pre-remlin 870 or Wingmaster.  Second choice, Mossberg 500.  Both can be configured for HD or clay shooting, and switched back and forth with very little work.

I'll have to do a bit of research into this still. I wouldnt even know what to look for in a used gun. Id be very likely to buy some unsafe or worn gun or it would have missing pieces and I'd just take it home none the wiser. I'm just too ignorant at this time.

Thank you for the information and your time

Ken

24 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

I wouldnt even know what to look for in a used gun.

If you are not comfortable looking at used 870s, then just go with the new Mossberg rout.  The older 870's, I think, are virtually indestructible, but any part you may need is readily available and usually not terribly expensive.  They are very customizable too.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

What is your ammo inventory look like? I would suggest before spending money on a new (or new to you) shotgun and the ammo for said shotgun, it might benefit you to use those funds to make sure you got enough ammo for your current firearm inventory. You got some good quality firearms, especially the Henry. 

1k rounds 115gr 9mm fmj

100 rounds Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm

1k rounds 36gr high velocity 22lr safety tips :)"hp"

Ken

4 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

1k rounds 115gr 9mm fmj

100 rounds Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm

1k rounds 36gr high velocity 22lr safety tips :)"hp"

Ken

I say you got that 1,000 round for each gun covered, I usually recommend 1,000 rounds for each gun you own as a good number to keep on hand. To be honest more ammo and magazines are always good to have, but you got my permission to get your shotgun! I am more of an 870 guy vs a mossberg 500 guy, but I would like to add a mossberg 500 to the collection myself. I haven't been able to see a 870 nor a 500 in the gun shops around me for a long time since the panic buying started.

I own a Mossberg 500 (field version, 28" barrel, wood stock, 12 gauge). I have shot a number of 870s (same general configuration). I have big hands, and I am 6'2". To me, the 870 is too slender. The Mossy is "fatter" (which some do not like), but it works well for me. I add a slip-on recoil pad to increase LOP, and it's perfect.

I have not shot an 870 with a synthetic stock, so they may be different, but to me, the Mossy just fits better. And in a shotgun, fit is everything. 

40 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

These days, whatever you can find.  Ha, ha, ha!  Mossy 500.

Only pump guns I see still on the gun racks at gun shops are the Stoeger P3500, Black Ace Tactical line of shotguns and other Turkish shotguns. 

2 minutes ago, Kennydnj said:

Maybe i gotta start just walking into shops that don't require appointments and hope i stumble onto something. As opposed to my internet searching.

Way back in the 90's we used to have this thing called a telephone.  We'd open up this other thing, an off line hard copy  database called the Yeller Pages.  I know it's old technology, but it could save you a lot of time.  You will probably have to use the inerwebs to get phone numbers though.  The problem though, you will have to talk to people and ask questions by voice, another fading skill.  If you find yourself having trouble, just pretend the person on the other end is Siri or Alexa.

• Haha 3
  • Crazy 1

Well. I'm finally going to a range to fire this 9mm I bought. Since I've received it I've been getting familiar with it by using those fake rounds (snap caps?) I feel that for someone with my level of knowledge (lack of) of firearms those things have been great to have. I feel so much better after using them and learning the functions of the gun. So today will be the big day that I fire my first REAL rounds out of my first gun. I will be going to the range with my mom's husband who has a knowledge of firearms use and safety as he used to shoot often....back in the day. Hopefully I'll have a good/safe time and learn some more.

Ken

May not be an issue but did you clean/oil them since you got them? Sometimes the oils they put on the guns to store and ship may cause the guns to jam or fail to eject. a buddy of mine took his M&P AR15 right outta the box and was having issues. After he cleaned/oiled it no more prob.
Hate to see your first time out and having to second guess if you bought the right guns but just a simple cleaning couldn’t hurt. 

I'd say go out to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays and take a class on using a shotgun before buying. You can try out a shotgun or two there as part of a class so you will have a better idea of what you are looking for and how to use it for a reasonable price before you buy anything.

https://www.lvsclays.com/lessons/

Might even get a new hobby out of it :)

-Jim

6 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

May not be an issue but did you clean/oil them since you got them? Sometimes the oils they put on the guns to store and ship may cause the guns to jam or fail to eject. a buddy of mine took his M&P AR15 right outta the box and was having issues. After he cleaned/oiled it no more prob.
Hate to see your first time out and having to second guess if you bought the right guns but just a simple cleaning couldn’t hurt. 

I did not clean or oil anything. Just took it from the case, loaded it up and fired away. Thankfully no issues. I like it but going forward I'll probably only buy a gun that I've held in my hand instead of what I did this time. Truth be told the grip feels a bit too thin for my size hand. Not terrible but i feel that a larger grip would be better for me. I guess its that whole single stack magazine thing. I did read about this before purchasing but figured it would work well for my wife's smaller hands. She hasn't shot it yet. 

Otherwise I had the pleasure of firing a 44 magnum revolver today. Quite the experience for me.

6 hours ago, JimB1 said:

I'd say go out to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays and take a class on using a shotgun before buying. You can try out a shotgun or two there as part of a class so you will have a better idea of what you are looking for and how to use it for a reasonable price before you buy anything.

https://www.lvsclays.com/lessons/

Might even get a new hobby out of it :)

-Jim

I'm certainly not against taking a good class. Or a bunch really. Unfortunately due to covid they say they have no lessons at this time.