Displaced Texan

Price for once fired brass?

What’s the going rate for once fired brass? 

I have several thousand rounds of (mostly) Federal 5.56, and probably 1K of .308 (mixed headstamps) laying around. 

They are not processed, or deprimed. 

Any ideas? 

40 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

What’s the going rate for once fired brass? 

I have several thousand rounds of (mostly) Federal 5.56, and probably 1K of .308 (mixed headstamps) laying around. 

They are not processed, or deprimed. 

Any ideas? 

I would offer you a hundred bucks for a couple thousand.  I never actually bought brass, it was always thrown in on other deals I made. I have no use for .308 yet. Look into it more and let me know what you think. Scrap brass is $1.30 per pound and 1,000 5.56 is about 14 pounds so scrap would be about $18 per thousand.

Our mutual acquaintance, John on Brace Rd. is into .308 and 30-06 although I don't think he is reloading just now but we spoke about saving up brass the last time I was there.

I have lots of 9mm and .40 but only a few hundred .223 left unloaded. Can you use 9mm or .40 cal?

34 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

several thousand rounds of (mostly) Federal 5.56

Bulk brass is usually sold by weight.  One pound of 5.56 brass yields approximately 70 cases.  A five pound bag would be about 350 cases.  5.56 brass has less appeal than .223 brass because primer pockets in military brass has to be swaged, so it does not demand the same money.  It's only a few penny's difference, but it adds up.

If it's mostly 5.56 NATO, the I'd say between ten and fifteen cents per case is fair.  So, a five pound bag of mixed, mostly NATO brass would go for between $35 and $52.

39 minutes ago, HuntingPaper said:

Hey Texan,

I would like to have that 308 brass. Let’s figure out a price or trade for other brass if you are interested 

Let me sort out how many I have and I’ll PM you later. I’d rather sell it, trying to clean out my gun room, and I don’t need anything else at the moment! 

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Let me sort out how many I have and I’ll PM you later. I’d rather sell it, trying to clean out my gun room, and I don’t need anything else at the moment! 

Let me know what you want for the 5.56! Any primers in your gun room?:)

8 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I grabbed 500 cases of military LC .308/7.62 for 40 bucks a month ago, they were also tumbled in media. 

5.56 wasn't going for much cheaper since its in high demand. 

40 bucks is a good price for 500 cleaned .308 brass these days.  The thing is, almost all reloading components are crazy high right now.

If things ever get back to normal, I know what I am going to invest in!

19 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

40 bucks is a good price for 500 cleaned .308 brass these days.  The thing is, almost all reloading components are crazy high right now.

If things ever get back to normal, I know what I am going to invest in!

To my surprise I had no idea it was cleaned when I bought it. I should have bought more.