Bklynracer

Beretta shotgun trap question

My sons going to get his FID card and has been talking about getting  his own shotgun for trap. No hunting.

Likes the Remington 870, Doesn't like O/U, But likes shooting his buddy's A300. Hs hasn't tried the A400 but would like him to.

Question is? should I let him get the A300 or is it worth putting in the difference for the A400.

A400, not even a comparison to the others mentioned. 

I should note, I have all 3. 

The a400 is a a very fine shotgun that he will never outgrow. 

The a300 gave me a shit ton of problems in cold wet weather, but otherwise ran fine. I ran it for a season, and replaced it the following year. I still have it as its got some nostalgic memories as my first season waterfowl hunting. It ran great at the range and busted clays all day long, so its still a good option for that purpose, and its roughly half the price. The a400 does hold more shells since its 3 1/2 capable. 

The a400 does have the recoil reduction system in the stock, it will short stroke with target loads if you aren't firm with it. I never had an issue but my brother who is less experienced had issues, just had to remind him to lean into it. 

A400. 

I have one. Have shot Trap with it.  Hard to come up with a negative comment on it.  Get a shell retainer.  I used the T&S from this article.  Been a while since I purchased it but this looks like what I have.

https://shotgunsportsmagazine.com/shop/category/shell-catchers

11 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

My sons going to get his FID card and has been talking about getting  his own shotgun for trap. No hunting.

Likes the Remington 870, Doesn't like O/U, But likes shooting his buddy's A300. Hs hasn't tried the A400 but would like him to.

Question is? should I let him get the A300 or is it worth putting in the difference for the A400.

While i love my beretta 686 onyx for sporting Clays......

Trap?

Go classic....

http://www.safarioutfittersltd.com/AmericanPage116.htm

Winchester%20Model%2012%20Trap%2012ga%20

I have one from 1913....  well, its not a real marked trap...but the fellow who did the work way back when did an excellent job....sadly it has a field stock....but tracks and hits hard of i do my part.

Get him something that he can use and will appreciate in value as he gets older!

• Like 1