JackDaWack

ATF has begun to turn on braces

Manufacturers test boundaries.

Looks like the Honey Badger found one.  I guess like their telescoping brace eliminated the pretense that it was a pistol instead of a rifle.

Would be good if they had the resources to pursue a lawsuit, but I suspect that a six figure endeavor...

7 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Manufacturers test boundaries.

Looks like the Honey Badger found one.  I guess like their telescoping brace eliminated the pretense that it was a pistol instead of a rifle.

Would be good if they had the resources to pursue a lawsuit, but I suspect that a six figure endeavor...

Most braces are adjustable, this is dangerous because the letter is incredibly vague. 

They don't provide any reasoning other then the claim the brace is designed to be a stock. 

The link includes their response to the ATf letter essentially tearing it apart from a procedural POV.

It would be nice if some 2a groups stepped up to help. 

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Most braces are adjustable, this is dangerous because the letter is incredibly vague. 

They don't provide any reasoning other then the claim the brace is designed to be a stock. 

The link includes their response to the ATf letter essentially tearing it apart from a procedural POV.

It would be nice if some 2a groups stepped up to help. 

I know I'll get slammed for this opinion, but that's OK.  We're all gun owners and many of us share very similar beliefs so we'll still be friends.

If I was the NRA/ANJRPS this would be towards the bottom of my list of things to direct my limited pool of money/resources to.  Being able to carry, getting rid of the magazine capacity ban, and fixing the arcane pistol permit/FID processes would be my focus.

Having a Honey Badger Pistol or any other short AR for a range toy doesn't mean shit to me.  I think the restrictions on AR pistols and SBR's are stupid (like many of the gun laws out there) but the makers of the "Honey Badger Pistol" were looking for a fight that didn't need to be fought right now.  They had custom braces made for their pistol and rifle that were almost identical.  And instead of getting an ATF letter first, they went to market with them:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/20180616_140711.jpg

After enough views online of people doing what they do the ATF decided they couldn't tell the difference so the Honey Badger wins the next prize in "You asked for it...You got it".

So now 2A groups have to jump into the fray to save this company that was asking for a fight?

Self-inflicted wound IMO.

Badger.jpg

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I know I'll get slammed for this opinion, but that's OK.  We're all gun owners and many of us share very similar beliefs so we'll still be friends.

If I was the NRA/ANJRPS this would be towards the bottom of my list of things to direct my limited pool of money/resources to.  Being able to carry, getting rid of the magazine capacity ban, and fixing the arcane pistol permit/FID processes would be my focus.

Having a Honey Badger Pistol or any other short AR for a range toy doesn't mean shit to me.  I think the restrictions on AR pistols and SBR's are stupid (like many of the gun laws out there) but the makers of the "Honey Badger Pistol" were looking for a fight that didn't need to be fought right now.  They had custom braces made for their pistol and rifle that were almost identical.  And instead of getting an ATF letter first, they went to market with them:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/20180616_140711.jpg

After enough views online of people doing what they do the ATF decided they couldn't tell the difference so the Honey Badger wins the next prize in "You asked for it...You got it".

So now 2A groups have to jump into the fray to save this company that was asking for a fight?

Self-inflicted wound IMO.

Badger.jpg

Displaced tex taking photos at his ranch.  You go boy.  

• Haha 1

I hope that they are just flexing their stupid muscles. At least it was a proprietary brace they made the ruling on...  my hope is they don't continue on this path right not.. I would think they could have opinioned on something more universal if they wanted cast a larger net, but didn't. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, RUTGERS95 said:

my problem is simply, who the fk is the ATF?  They don't make laws and they are not empowered to interpret them.

This^^^

It started with bumpfire stocks,  and has moved to arm braces. Anyone want to place bets on what's next? This is exactly what the NRA/FPC/SAF should be fighting. 

51 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Anyone want to place bets on what's next?

How about this?

BATFE Leadership Push Biden to Target Pistol Stabilizing Braces and Unfinished Receivers

Just in case anyone needed further proof that much of the federal bureaucracy is more interested in serving themselves and left-wing political interests than public service, news broke this week that rogue elements of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) have been conspiring with Joe Biden’s transition team to enact gun control by executive fiat. At the top of these anti-gun government functionaries’ wish list is executive regulation of commonly-owned pistol stabilizing braces and materials used by individuals to make their own firearms –sometimes referred to as unfinished or “80%”frames or receivers.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20201116/batfe-leadership-push-biden-to-target-pistol-stabilizing-braces-and-unfinished-receivers?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ila_alert

On 11/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Sniper said:

How about this?

BATFE Leadership Push Biden to Target Pistol Stabilizing Braces and Unfinished Receivers

Just in case anyone needed further proof that much of the federal bureaucracy is more interested in serving themselves and left-wing political interests than public service, news broke this week that rogue elements of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) have been conspiring with Joe Biden’s transition team to enact gun control by executive fiat. At the top of these anti-gun government functionaries’ wish list is executive regulation of commonly-owned pistol stabilizing braces and materials used by individuals to make their own firearms –sometimes referred to as unfinished or “80%”frames or receivers.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20201116/batfe-leadership-push-biden-to-target-pistol-stabilizing-braces-and-unfinished-receivers?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ila_alert

It will be interesting to see what happens. Knowing how Trump had bumps stocks banned does not sit well with this. 80%'s should be safe under federal law, but braces may not be so lucky from a procedural point. Without pushback from gun rights organizations on the honey Badger, its gonna green light the ATF to do what ever they want.