Charlie C

Tech Ops International (Troy A4 Other Firearm Purchase Experience)

Hi Friends,

Recently I placed an order through Tech Ops International for a Troy A4 Other Firearm and was told I should be able to pick it up this week. However, when I called to follow up the status of my order, I found out that their phone line is no longer in service. I tried to email them but no response. Does anyone have similar experience?

So my question is, am I scammed? Did they just take my money and ran away? I certainly hope not but if yes, what are my options?

Thank you all in advance.

I have some recent experience buying from Tech Ops. Picked up two PSA NJGF lowers and my mom picked up a new S&W M&P EZ Shield PC in 380 acp. I would do business with them again, but right now they been swamped with orders. There is only one person managing the store from what I can tell in the Phillipsburg location. I believe they are the sole distributors for the Troy Other in NJ, but don't quote me on that. Right now, black rifles (and non-nfa others) are in hot demand, your order may take some time unfortunately.

Have you tried emailing them or even visiting them in person? 

15 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

I have some recent experience buying from Tech Ops. Picked up two PSA NJGF lowers and my mom picked up a new S&W M&P EZ Shield PC in 380 acp. I would do business with them again, but right now they been swamped with orders. There is only one person managing the store from what I can tell in the Phillipsburg location. I believe they are the sole distributors for the Troy Other in NJ, but don't quote me on that. Right now, black rifles (and non-nfa others) are in hot demand, your order may take some time unfortunately.

Have you tried emailing them or even visiting them in person? 

Yes, I tried to email them but no response. I can totally understand that they are very busy and it is okay if my order is delayed due to lack of people to process the demand. However, what triggered my alarm is their phone line been disconnected and no longer in service...

They are around one hour from my place so I was planning to stop by when the order is ready. But it sounds like I will have to stop by tomorrow....

Thanks for your feedback!

18 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Did you pay for it (in full) in advance?

Might be best to take a ride over there...

Yes, it is paid in full by card...:(

I was just there on Saturday - Picked up my NJGF Lowers.  I will text the shop owner and see if there are any updates.  I know Lia there has been absolutely swamped.

Edit - Update - the phone number has been down since last night.  Verizon is working on it right now to get it fixed.

You can try reaching them via email:  [email protected]

Edited by Krdshrk
Update

19 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I was just there on Saturday - Picked up my NJGF Lowers.  I will text the shop owner and see if there are any updates.  I know Lia there has been absolutely swamped.

Edit - Update - the phone number has been down since last night.  Verizon is working on it right now to get it fixed.

You can try reaching them via email:  [email protected]

Thank you. The owner contacted me and cleared things out. The phone line was down and we are all good.

Thank for your help!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FunGun said:

I also ordered and  payed in full for a Troy A4 other firearm and was just calling to get an update.  Both the NJ and PA phone numbers don't work.  I emailed...  Just to be safe, I put in a dispute with my credit card.  Hope it is just a glitch.

The owner contacted me and told me their phone line went down during midnight and they are doing everything they can to get it back on (Verizon too). The owner Santiago is actually a very nice person and I am sure @Krdshrk can attest that. So I would say not to worry and feel free to ask your bank to release the payment.

3 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

wow that's not cool at all - I would cancel that dispute.  Ain't nothing wrong - just a phone issue.

I agree with @Krdshrk . I too left a 2 star reviews on google and realized I have over-reacted so I updated the review to 5 stars right after the owner contacted me. I kind of feel bad about it.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

wow that's not cool at all - I would cancel that dispute.  Ain't nothing wrong - just a phone issue.

59 minutes ago, Charlie C said:

The owner contacted me and told me their phone line went down during midnight and they are doing everything they can to get it back on (Verizon too). The owner Santiago is actually a very nice person and I am sure @Krdshrk can attest that. So I would say not to worry and feel free to ask your bank to release the payment.

I agree with @Krdshrk . I too left a 2 star reviews on google and realized I have over-reacted so I updated the review to 5 stars right after the owner contacted me. I kind of feel bad about it.

I put the dispute in before I found it it was just a phone service problem.  It was a little unnerving having paid in full and then upon calling, getting a message saying the number had been disconnected...

I withdrew the dispute once I saw it was merely a phone problem and they didn't skip town.

• Like 2

Well guess what?  I checked with Tech Ops today - by email.  My A4 is IN!!!  Excited, but I'm under quarantine until next Tuesday.  Had to take a COVID test before a procedure I'm having next Tuesday, and I have to self-isolate until after the procedure.  9mm, gray, 10.5" barrel.  Next thing is to find ammo...  :D  

• Like 1

@Charlie C @FunGun OK guys, you're not the first ones to jump to a conclusion prematurely. I myself have done that.

What I learned was: consider all the possible explanations before pulling the trigger on what might be the worst one. And confirm what's actually happening. It's an imperfect world.

No harm, no foul. Sounds like you made it right out there in the world. 

Now, if Twitter and Facebook don't block your rectifications... :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FunGun said:

Well guess what?  I checked with Tech Ops today - by email.  My A4 is IN!!!  Excited, but I'm under quarantine until next Tuesday.  Had to take a COVID test before a procedure I'm having next Tuesday, and I have to self-isolate until after the procedure.  9mm, gray, 10.5" barrel.  Next thing is to find ammo...  :D  

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-training-9mm-luger-ammo-115-grain-fmj-500-rounds-c9115a-p-110890.aspx order now!

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Just contacted Tech Ops and my order is ready. Just wondering how the process works, do I go in and do the paper work and i can bring the firearm home the same day or I will need to have to do a second trip to bring it home? I am currently recovering from my knee injury so im contemplating whether I should ask the wife to drive me there......

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Charlie C said:

Hey Guys,

Just contacted Tech Ops and my order is ready. Just wondering how the process works, do I go in and do the paper work and i can bring the firearm home the same day or I will need to have to do a second trip to bring it home? I am currently recovering from my knee injury so im contemplating whether I should ask the wife to drive me there......

Thanks!

Did you go do your NICS check yet or no?  If it's done already, you should be in and out in a few mins.  Otherwise, you'll have to submit the NICS stuff on the computer they have there, then wait a few days 'till it clears... then you can go back and pick up.

13 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Did you go do your NICS check yet or no?  If it's done already, you should be in and out in a few mins.  Otherwise, you'll have to submit the NICS stuff on the computer they have there, then wait a few days 'till it clears... then you can go back and pick up.

I purchased a handgun about 2-3 months ago and RTSP did the background check for me. I assume it is a repetitive process with every firearm purchase?

1 minute ago, Charlie C said:

I purchased a handgun about 2-3 months ago and RTSP did the background check for me. I assume it is a repetitive process with every firearm purchase?

Correct, unless you're doing multiple purchases at once at the same place (ie:  2 lowers, or handgun/rifle/shotgun, etc.).

Department of Redundancy Department.

I went to Tech Ops on Thursday (10/22) afternoon.  My A4 is the 9mm 10.5" barrel.  I wanted black but it came in gray - which must be a new color.  So an extra $100...  It looks nice though.  Submitted the background check info on their computer.  Hopefully I'll be actually picking it up and bringing it home next week. 

There's a few things I still need to do:  get some ammo, a decent case and cleaning kit.  At the same time, I'm looking to find a beginner firearms class.  Safety and basic info on a semi auto.  I want to learn how to safely handle the gun and to dismantle and assemble the gun for cleaning purposes primarily, but also to be familiar with the workings.  Then some shooting instruction.  Once I get that under my belt, I'll feel pretty confident about using and maintaining the gun.  Did  I miss anything?  Anybody have any experience with taking courses at the Tactical Training Center in Flemington?  They're pretty close, but they don't seem to have many classes scheduled...  Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Ammo is the big part right now.  It will come with a box but yes - a case will be good.  I usually go with soft rifle bags.

I haven't had any classes at TTC but I believe they're fine.  SCFGPA uses their basic pistol class for training qualification to become a member.

Hi guys, I went to pick up my other yesterday, finally!!!!!what a great experience with tech ops. I had a nice chit chat with Lia, they are very down to earth and we talked like friends. Highly recommend them!

The first thing I did was to put on my weapon light. I haven’t decided which optic I’m going to put on but if you guys have any suggestions please kindly share.

I can’t wait to go to range and have some fun with it! Unfortunately there is no outdoor range close to where I live (Randolph) so I’m still figuring out how should I zero the backup iron sight and optic once I got it..

1 hour ago, Charlie C said:

Hi guys, I went to pick up my other yesterday, finally!!!!!what a great experience with tech ops. I had a nice chit chat with Lia, they are very down to earth and we talked like friends. Highly recommend them!

The first thing I did was to put on my weapon light. I haven’t decided which optic I’m going to put on but if you guys have any suggestions please kindly share.

I can’t wait to go to range and have some fun with it! Unfortunately there is no outdoor range close to where I live (Randolph) so I’m still figuring out how should I zero the backup iron sight and optic once I got it..

You can zero at 10 or 25 yards easily.  I do a 50/200 Zero on my ARs.

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/02/13/zeroing-target-50200-yard-zero-at-10-yards/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So the election is coming soon and there are more than usual activities from ATF nowadays regarding to braces, leads me a question of my Troy A4.

So we all know that one of the components that makes A4 Other Firearm an Other Firearm is the brace. Now, let's say ATF ban braces, I would assume it will make A4 Other illegal? If that is the case, would the A4 Other reclassified as rifle? and if so, would the solution be swap out the brace to any stock we like as long as it is pinned plus pinned muzzle device and removed the foregrip?

On 10/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, Charlie C said:

So the election is coming soon and there are more than usual activities from ATF nowadays regarding to braces, leads me a question of my Troy A4.

So we all know that one of the components that makes A4 Other Firearm an Other Firearm is the brace. Now, let's say ATF ban braces, I would assume it will make A4 Other illegal? If that is the case, would the A4 Other reclassified as rifle? and if so, would the solution be swap out the brace to any stock we like as long as it is pinned plus pinned muzzle device and removed the foregrip?

Good question...  Here's mine that I picked up last week.  It's gray, but hard to tell in this photo.  10.5" barrel, 9mm.  Shopping for ammo now.

IMG_0841.JPG

19 hours ago, FunGun said:

Good question...  Here's mine that I picked up last week.  It's gray, but hard to tell in this photo.  10.5" barrel, 9mm.  Shopping for ammo now.

IMG_0841.JPG

Congrats! I had a chance to shoot at RTSP and I had a pretty big smile on my face. Too bad there is no outdoor range in my area that won't break my bank for membership fee... I have not shot any other 556 so I can't compare but so far I like it a lot. I am sure you will like it too!

By the way, it has a very tight safety and after breaking in a little by flipping it back and forth and got a little smoother. Not sure if you have the same situation.

Enjoy! 

• Agree 1