Krdshrk

Anyone know a Lawn Sprinkler tech?

SIL somehow damaged the sprinklers at someone's lawn - they're asking for $2800 to fix 4 caps - I'm not sure what happened exactly but does anyone know a Lawn Sprinkler tech/repair person around Union county/Linden area?  Or does that price sound about right?

12 minutes ago, tommy3rd said:

have you considered googling how to do it and replacing it yourself? I have a feeling those parts that got damaged are less than $10 a piece.

That's what I would suggest too. Parts and new heads are available at Home Depot or Lowes, and some basic plumbing skills is all that's needed.

15 minutes ago, tommy3rd said:

have you considered googling how to do it and replacing it yourself? I have a feeling those parts that got damaged are less than $10 a piece.

Honestly I have no idea what broke or what's wrong - My SIL just asked me if anyone knew a sprinkler person to make sure she's not getting ripped off.  $2800 sounds like a huge ripoff.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:51 PM, Krdshrk said:

Honestly I have no idea what broke or what's wrong - My SIL just asked me if anyone knew a sprinkler person to make sure she's not getting ripped off.  $2800 sounds like a huge ripoff.

That price would be for installing a zone or three to a sprinkler system including zone valves and new lines. If it's only for replacing four sprinkler heads it would be grossly over inflated - Rain Bird heads are $8 + - each, service call to replace them should be $200 or so.

• Informative 1

On 10/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, Krdshrk said:

SIL somehow damaged the sprinklers at someone's lawn - they're asking for $2800 to fix 4 caps - I'm not sure what happened exactly but does anyone know a Lawn Sprinkler tech/repair person around Union county/Linden area?  Or does that price sound about right?

that's way high, like paying 50k for a used yugo high.  I had 48 sprinkler heads on my lawns and had every head replaced, repositioned, etc etc and it was not even half that.

i will see if I can find the company that did ours but I sold that house in the divorce

I’ve been in the irrigation business for 35 years.

$2800 — certainly not out of the question — depends whats going on and where

short hills, millburn, livingston is much higher than greenbrook, edison, piscataway — just the way it is

I need details

2 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

That price would be for installing a zone or three to a sprinkler system including zone valves and new lines. If it's only for replacing four sprinkler heads it would be grossly over inflated - Rain Bird heads are $8 + - each, service call to replace them should be $200 or so.

Rain bird heads used to cost just over $7 — before covid — not anymore

If you can find them they are around $12 -$15 my cost 

This is not for home depot sprinkler heads.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:51 PM, Krdshrk said:

Honestly I have no idea what broke or what's wrong

The most common killers of in ground sprinklers are car tires and lawn mowers.

$2800 sounds like a huge ripoff.

It is. 

Like 10X too much.

Lets say she drove up on the lawn and rolled four heads (it happens), that's like, maybe a $300 service call.  If the ground was extremely soft, it's possible that the Tees or risers snapped, in which case each head will have to be dug out and the Tee + riser replaced.  Not a major repair, add $20-$30/head.

We need the rest of the story.

Unfortunately I don't have any more info and I'm not going to pry into it.  SIL just asked if I knew any sprinkler people as she damaged a system somehow (and wouldn't elaborate how)... and the guy quoted her a price which she thought was a ripoff (and I do too).