antiriad

Water Well in NJ for home use

Does anyone have any experience with drilling a water well in NJ? A few years ago American Water had swapped the water mains in our area and my water bills is consistent between $60-$80 per month. I don't really think there is a real cost savings but it seems that in the water level is not too deep it might be worth it. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have a well, but never had to put one in. 

My guess is at least 6k just to drill it and run the line into your house. From there you need a pressure tank and relay, so add money for the internal plumbing and electrical hook up. Probably another 1000 for the tank install and a few hundred for the electrical. 

If you need to treat the water, that's a whole nother can of worms which would be another 1k min.

I'm at 950ft elevation and my well is 300 feet deep. YMMV. We have an 8 gallon pressure tank, iron filter and water softener. If I had to install it all new from scratch it would probably cost $15k if I had someone do all the work. 

I've never thought about it, but can you disconnect the service and put a well in, will the town let you?

Private water wells are great until an extended power outage.

Without a large enough generator and the proper hookups to run the well pump you won't be able to stay in the house very long. 

No flushing toilets, bathing, washing dishes, etc.

Gets gross really quick.

My well pump runs on 110v.  I have the pump and various house appliances wired up to generator.  Much better situation during events like hurricane then to depend on the city/township.

All the equipment can get pricey.  Pump use electricity, Filters, maintenance, softener brine.  All adds up.  You're better off on city water.

The guy who leases the grazing rights on my land uses solar well pumps. According to him, they deliver plenty of water. 
https://www.sunshineworks.com/pages/solar-water-well-pump-submersible-kits-affordable-easy-to-install-systems

i have no experience with them, I use a windmill. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm at 950ft elevation and my well is 300 feet deep. YMMV. We have an 8 gallon pressure tank, iron filter and water softener. If I had to install it all new from scratch it would probably cost $15k if I had someone do all the work. 

They usually charge by the foot of depth they have to drill, plus all the necessary equipment, pump, etc. Then, depending on how that actual water tests, any possible treatment equipment.

At $15K, it would take a whole ton of months, at $60 - $80 a month, to get a real return on that investment. By the time you break even, it will be time to replace worn out pumps and filters.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Sniper said:

At $15K, it would take a whole ton of months, at $60 - $80 a month, to get a real return on that investment. By the time you break even, it will be time to replace worn out pumps and filters.

^ THIS

You also have to get the Board of Health involved. I had to drill a new well several years ago; the area was rather empty when the original was done, then the mass invasion and buildup meant mine wasn't deep enough anymore.

It was a few months of testing and fees from that alone.

A buddy of mine has a private well that he can only use for outdoor use now. The town decided to do public water and forced everyone to hookup. The fines are rather high if he doesn't. Seems all kinds of illegal and un-American to me, but....

If your town did allow you to go private, what are you going to do with the waste? They bill for the sewage system by the water usage, they're not going to let you use the sewage system for free.

33 minutes ago, kc17 said:

If your town did allow you to go private, what are you going to do with the waste? They bill for the sewage system by the water usage, they're not going to let you use the sewage system for free.

Just purchased house that was hooked up to city sewer and has a well spent 1700.00 for well inspections and water softener to pass testing.  they charge 100.00 quarter for sewer and have already been sending notices to hook up to water not mandatory yet.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, DbleTrouble said:

My well pump runs on 110v.  I have the pump and various house appliances wired up to generator.  Much better situation during events like hurricane then to depend on the city/township.

All the equipment can get pricey.  Pump use electricity, Filters, maintenance, softener brine.  All adds up.  You're better off on city water.

Your well pump is most likely 110v but runs on 120v.. 

• Crazy 1

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

They usually charge by the foot of depth they have to drill, plus all the necessary equipment, pump, etc. Then, depending on how that actual water tests, any possible treatment equipment.

There is going to be a minimum price associated, and probably a by foot charge after a certain depth, and then on top of that any charges for difficult drilling conditions. 

I'd expect just to drill mine probably cost double, $12000 at 40 dollars a foot. 

Its probably a good idea to find out first if the ground water is even worthwhile. 

But yeah, it would take a really long time to recoup any money from the switch. Its not like the water is free at that point. Wells use a substantial amount of power. So maybe you cut the bill in half.

4 hours ago, kc17 said:

A buddy of mine has a private well that he can only use for outdoor use now. The town decided to do public water and forced everyone to hookup. The fines are rather high if he doesn't. Seems all kinds of illegal and un-American to me, but....

That's how my house is. Originally when built, it was on a well. But then the city brought in city water and people disconnected the wells. When I bought this place I got the well fired back up. I now use it to water the grass, gardens, powerwashing, etc., which helps cut down on the sewer portion of my water bill.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Wells use a substantial amount of power. So maybe you cut the bill in half.

That too, I forgot to add the power portion. And in a rare power outage (depending where he lives), it sucks not to have water, unless you invest in a large generator to power it (another add on cost over city water costs).

I have city water in Bricktucky and an $8,000 well for irrigation. They also offer a second water meter for irrigation   without sewer charges. The payback period to put in the well instead of second meter was 8 years so I am ahead now. Plus I could run the well on 220VAC if SHTF.

We’ve had a well for 20 years.  Was drilled/installed when we purchased the newly built house.

Our well is 180’ deep.

I’m told a replacement well pumps runs about $5k.  I forget the size. Maybe 1-1/2 HP. Runs on 240v so requires a backup gen with that output voltage and at least a small manual transfer switch. See Reliance Electric for info on those.   7500w (9000VA) gens will usually a 30a 240v output.  Cheap ones can be had for $750 plus.  Something not made in China are more.

Have been through 3 pressure tanks. $1700 to have replaced.   Did the last one myself.  $350.  But draining the trashed tank was a pain.  If your pressure surges at the faucet frequently, you pressure tank probably lost its bladder and you need to replace it or risk burning our your well pump.

I am told the well should be sanitized annually using bleach. A 24 hr long process with no access to water until flushed.

The rust/manganese removing tanks have a 15 to 20 year life.  Twin tank replacement is about $4500.  If you just need a valve rebuild..if its leaking...thats about $450.  You can’t let it leak. It could enter a backwash cycle that won’t end.  Thats a problem that will require your water to be shut off until fixed

Then theres the softener.   In Central NJ..rust is an issue. So you also need rust remover salt.  About $60/ month if you have lawn irrigation on treated water...and you should if you don’t want orange everything outside.  No rust... same softener.  Different salt. A buck less a bag.

There’s more......

Sulphur smell in hot water.  Water heater anode rods will break down and generate a rotten egg smell in hot water for some well systems.  Doesn’t matter if its an aluminum or Magnesium anode rod.  Also...Removing the rod is a very BAD idea.  Unless you want your heater to rot out prematurely and flood your house.  But replacing it with an electric anode for about $200+ per water heater will fix it.  Voids your water heater warranty but its got to be done. Bleach Injection systems and filter systems will not fix the sulphur smell long term.  Bleaching may last a day or so.

Water pressure.  If you need good pressure for lawn irrigation Or heavy use, you need to plan in advance.  Not always easy to fix with just a different pressure tank. The well pump has to be able to keep up without cycling too often.

So for $60 to $80 per month for city water.....that you filter easily btw.... I think thats a better deal than a well.