blakejenna

Keltec KSG Shotgun

I'm a shotgun fan, and I am very happy with my KSG.

I've had mine for about 4 years and I've run every combination of ammo through it.  THe only time I experienced an "issue" was in the final stage of a long, hot 3 gun match where I short-shucked the gun a couple of times with low brass/birdshot, but otherwise there have been zero issues.

I consider all of my guns home defense weapons, so in a situation where a shotgun is warranted (or happens to be the gun available) I have no reservations reaching for the KSG.

Getting used to the ergonomics takes a little time, but with some snap-caps and dry fire practice the gun becomes intuitive and easy to manage.

KSG earned their shaky reputation by rolling out the KSG too early.  The Gen 1 versions were released to market with some basic updates still needed, so the first buyers were essentially still beta testers.

They fixed things with the Gen 2 guns, so IMO they're squared away.

There will be plenty of people who reply to this thread who have never fired a KSG who will talk about hands getting blown off, parts breaking, "I know a guy who...", etc, etc, so your best bet is to go to a range and rent one to see how you like it.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm a shotgun fan, and I am very happy with my KSG.

I've had mine for about 4 years and I've run every combination of ammo through it.  THe only time I experienced an "issue" was in the final stage of a long, hot 3 gun match where I short-shucked the gun a couple of times with low brass/birdshot, but otherwise there have been zero issues.

I consider all of my guns home defense weapons, so in a situation where a shotgun is warranted (or happens to be the gun available) I have no reservations reaching for the KSG.

Getting used to the ergonomics takes a little time, but with some snap-caps and dry fire practice the gun becomes intuitive and easy to manage.

KSG earned their shaky reputation by rolling out the KSG too early.  The Gen 1 versions were released to market with some basic updates still needed, so the first buyers were essentially still beta testers.

They fixed things with the Gen 2 guns, so IMO they're squared away.

There will be plenty of people who reply to this thread who have never fired a KSG who will talk about hands getting blown off, parts breaking, "I know a guy who...", etc, etc, so your best bet is to go to a range and rent one to see how you like it.

I agree and find that any issues I or anyone else had was user induced. Short shucking is something I had an issue with when I first got mine. I have to say that my go to HD shotgun is my Benelli M1S90 that I have had for years.

2 hours ago, blakejenna said:
Anyone have any feedback on the Keltec KSG shotgun? I know in the beginning the had issues...but what about lately?

Good weapon for home defense?

Thank you for any feedback?

I would not use a shotgun for HD so no, I would not use it.  My ex-coworker friend who is not a gun owner thought it would be the best thing ever for HD since it's short and can hold several rounds.  I disabused him of that idea very quickly with a day at the range.  With full mag tubes it's heavy... and he was not ready for the recoil, even with birdshot... Manual tube selection and a fairly complex set of controls made it really tough for a new shooter to get used to it.  With enough time/training yes it could be fine, but you would have to build up a whole other set of muscle memory/habits.  

The only time I experienced an "issue" was in the final stage of a long, hot 3 gun match where I short-shucked the gun a couple of times with low brass/birdshot.

Short shucking in high stress situations is a key reason right here.  Doesn't matter what the load is - short shucking is short shucking.  Stress induced malfunction.

5 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Short shucking in high stress situations is a key reason right here.  Doesn't matter what the load is - short shucking is short shucking.  Stress induced malfunction.

Respectfully, the short-shucking was fatigue, not stress. 

Last shotgun stage of at the end of 5 hours of shooting my first 3-gun.

Stress was earlier in the day.

Respectfully, the short-shucking was fatigue, not stress. 

Last shotgun stage of at the end of 5 hours of shooting my first 3-gun.

Stress was earlier in the day.

Fatigue will get you too - not gonna get hit at home when you're wide awake after your first cup of coffee... :)

• Agree 1