Vasquez

New from Bernardsville

3 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Hello,

I'm new to firearms and was recently granted my FID. I signed up to this site hopeful to get more information regarding what firearms, tactical gear, and ranges/clubs to get, and/or join.

Welcome to the club!

You're not too far from a good private range in Bridgewater.   They just completed a massive renovation, and they are accepting members.   SCFGPA

• Like 1

Welcome!

I’m a member of SCFGPA also. And to tell the truth I don't think it would be a good match for a new shooter. No RO to ask question of or to keep an eye on you if you have an issue with your firearm. Try TTC in Flemington or RTSP in Randolf for awhile. Their RO are tops and more then willing to help. 

BTW. Have you taken a firearms safety class yet? Don't wait till you have a firearm to look into taking a class.  

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! I'm an SCFGPA member also --- and I can see @SmittyMHS's point of view. I like to hit a range in off-hours - the less people the better. I'm not a misanthrope, lol... I just prefer to shoot when it's quiet... less smoky, etc. I've been at SCFGPA completely alone on several occasions - but I never would have done that as a brand-new shooter as I just wouldn't have felt confident enough in my knowledge and skills. It's a personal choice, of course, but I can certainly see the advantage of first taking that safety class and spending some time under an assigned RSO (Range Safety Officer) as they're usually highly experienced. Your other option, of course, is to hit busy events at a private range when you know there's a crowd there... and chances are a much more experienced person will be shooting next to you... or to quickly latch onto a couple of more experienced "shooting buddies" and initially go with them.

Do you have any thoughts for what kind of firearm you want to start with? Handgun? Rifle? Shotgun? Oooohhhh, so many choices, so little time! Fair warning, once you buy ONE firearms, you'll want to get MORE... to keep the first one company. It's very addictive. ;)

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Do you have any thoughts for what kind of firearm you want to start with? Handgun? Rifle? Shotgun? Oooohhhh, so many choices, so little time! Fair warning, once you buy ONE firearms, you'll want to get MORE... to keep the first one company. It's very addictive. ;)

Thanks for your advice. I've been looking into an AR recently. I don't know if I would like a 16" or 11.5" "other firearm." I have narrowed it down to LWRC IC DI 16" or Modern Materiel Wartime SBF 11.75". I hope to get more information on helping me choose my next firearm on this forum as well. I have already posted a topic on this in AR section.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vasquez said:

Thanks for your advice. I've been looking into an AR recently. I don't know if I would like a 16" or 11.5" "other firearm." I have narrowed it down to LWRC IC DI 16" or Modern Materiel Wartime SBF 11.75".

I believe short barreled rifles (less than 16") are not allowed in N.J. 

I think the best you can do is 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" muzzle brake (pinned of course) to bring it to 16 inch minimum.

Personally, I would stay with a 16' inch barrel to avoid the possibility of having it mistakenly seized by an uninformed LE.