Vasquez

Which one should I get? (Modern Materiel vs LWRC)

Which one would you choose? I know one is 11.5 and the other is a 16" barrel. But in terms of reliability, quality, all around better performer? The LWRC or Modern Materiel (look below).

LWRC RIFLE DI RIFLE 556NATO 16.1" 30RD BLK

LWRC, Direct Impingement Rifle, Semi-automatic Rifle, 223 Rem/556NATO, 16.1" Cold Hammer Forged Spiral Fluted Barrel, 1:7 Twist, Black Finish, LWRCI Compact Stock, Magpul MOE+ Grip, 30Rd, LWRCI Modular Free Float Rail, LWRCI Rail Panels, LWRCI A2 Flash Hider, LWRCI Integrated Hand Stop, LWRCI Angled Ergonomic Fore Grip w/QD Sling Point, LWRCI Monoforge Upper Receiver

MODMAT WARTIME SBF

• 100% MADE IN AMERICA.  All MODMAT rifles are made from domestic parts and assembled in New Jersey.
  • Multi-State and Federally compliant when purchased as an OTHER FIREARM.
  • CERAKOTE FINISH: Blackened Cobalt
  • Length: 27.5″ – 30″
  • Weight: 5 lb 11 oz
  • A2 Flash Hider
  • MODERN MATERIEL 5.56 Custom Profile, 11.75″ Carbine length AR15 Barrel. Machined from 4150 chrome moly, with M4 feed ramps and rifled with a 1:8 twist. Processed with a Black Nitride corrosion resistant finish.
    MODERN MATERIEL .075” low profile gas block. Paired and custom pinned to the barrel. Processed with a Black Nitride corrosion resistant finish.
    MODERN MATERIEL 10.75″ ultralight free float hand guard – Full Picatinny top rail and M-LOK mounting in 3, 6 & 9 o’clock positions.
  • Domestic 8620 M16 Bolt Carrier Group and 9310 bolt with QPQ corrosion resistant finish.
  • Flattop Upper Receiver – 7075 T6 forged aluminum with ejection port cover, Mil-spec forward assist and brass deflector.
  • Radian RAPTOR-SL Charging Handle for ambidextrous capabilities.
  • Bravo Company BCM Gunfighter Mod3 pistol grip.
  • Bravo Company BCM Gunfighter Mod3 vertical grip.
  • MM Lower Receiver – 7075 T6 forged aluminum with magwell texture and MM tactical trigger guard, aluminum.
  • Radian Ultralight QD endplate.
  • HIPERFIRE Enhanced Trigger – 4.5 lbs crisp and clean.
  • Gear Head Works Tailhook MOD2 – impact reinforced polymer arm brace with proprietary buffer tube.
  • Also includes: One 10/30-round Mission First Tactical (MFT) magazine. 

Home/MODMAT-15/MODMAT WARTIME SBF

2 minutes ago, Vasquez said:

I want to use it for an all around firearm that can serve as home defense, tactical training, 100 yards max (not intending on shooting 200+yds).

I'd go 16 lwrc for multi purpose not to mention that 11.5 barrel will get you noticed in ways you may not want

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vasquez said:

I want to use it for an all around firearm that can serve as home defense, tactical training, 100 yards max (not intending on shooting 200+yds).

Before you make a decision I suggest looking into course requirements for wherever you plan on training. Confirm if you can use a braced firearm (look for references to a braced pistol). 

The simple solution is buy both, but I'd get the other firearm in 9mm if available. 

While you can probably have 1 that does all things okay, they're both not going to do all things well. I can use my vice grips as a hammer, but I'd rather reach for a different tool. On a HD firearm I'd want a muzzle device that directs all noise and concussion forward. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vasquez said:

Who would notice that I have a 11.5 barrel? At the range? If I get pulled over? 

Depends where you go to the range. At this point I would hope all the Fudd wannabe (and actual) range officers have seen an other firearm. I would recommend carrying the approval letter from the NJSP should you have an encounter with someone questioning its legality. I doubt you'll need it, but "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

• Agree 1

I made my decision and will be buying a LWRC rifle 16" barrel. Too many positive reviews on this rifle compared MMs. 

Now next step is which one: IC vs DI vs IC DI, m-lock vs lwrc rail, etc. Which model would you pick in a 16" 5.56? 

Also, what store (either physical or online) has any LWRC rifles in stock?? 

honestly, I've only heard of MM here.  I'm not really sure what their benefit is vs the price as I see their stuff is high.  Not ragging on anyone as I know they are in NJ but from what I've seen, just a high priced re-assembler with some marketing (yes I could be wrong)....just a viewpoint

I have had both, I recently sold my LWRC M6A2 Gas Piston and bought the ModMat Wartime Other Firearm. 

Modmat all day! The reason I say this is very simple. Proprietary parts on LWRC make it an issue when you would like to change the handguard. Also on a standard AR-15 in NJ the break must be pinned and welded. On an Other firearm you do not need to pin and weld the break, flash hider, whatever you want to put on it. Weight on a gas piston AR is heavier, the DI not so much. The LWRC gas piston runs cleaner 100% but I clean my weapon regardless after every 1000 rounds. So honestly thats irrelevant to me. 

I would recommend the Modmat Wartime over the LWRC all day.  

On 11/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, MrLunchBox said:

I have had both, I recently sold my LWRC M6A2 Gas Piston and bought the ModMat Wartime Other Firearm. 

Modmat all day! The reason I say this is very simple. Proprietary parts on LWRC make it an issue when you would like to change the handguard. Also on a standard AR-15 in NJ the break must be pinned and welded. On an Other firearm you do not need to pin and weld the break, flash hider, whatever you want to put on it. Weight on a gas piston AR is heavier, the DI not so much. The LWRC gas piston runs cleaner 100% but I clean my weapon regardless after every 1000 rounds. So honestly thats irrelevant to me. 

I would recommend the Modmat Wartime over the LWRC all day.  

I wish I never sold my m6a2!  I shot a barrel out on it and replaced with a nos lothar walther barrel Darren had lying around.  Never a single malfunction ever!.  She ran clean, was fairly light (relative as the the quad rail was heaviest piece), accurate, just all around great rifle.  your post brings back memories.

• Agree 1