Glock26

What power scope for 300 yards?

It is going to depend on your eyes and your skill. My one rifle has a 3-10x scope and at 200 I can shoot soda cans all day. One 22 has a 4x BSA and at 50yds will shoot 4 oz hugs juice bottles every shot. My AR and HK are iron sights and they do quite well at 200.

I am thinking about a fixed 6x scope for an AR next.

just remember to practice, a scope will not make up for poor skills. not that you shoot poorly, just an expression

I use a 4-12x50 scope for 300 yard shooting. I use Shoot-N-C 8 or 12 inch targets for that distance. I use a large piece of white poasterboard to stick the target to, it helps pop the targets out at 300+ yards.

For open sights at 300+ yards I use 36inch targets

As the title above goes. I will be looking at getting a few rifles in the future. I would ove to shoot long distance. What power glass do you need to see it effectively? Also, how big are the targets that you are aiming at?

I use a fixed 10X scope at the 300 yard range up in Cherry Ridge. No problems hitting a 10" bull all day long.

Guess it depends on what you're trying to shoot.

If you're asking what power you would need to see the bullet holes, I would say the riflescope is a poor choice for this purpose. The right tool to check out the holes is a spotting scope.

Hope that helps.

Depends on what you are shooting realistically. If you're legally blind you man need more power. If you trying to hit a soda can at 300m you'll need some real power. For 300m I would want at least a minimal of 9x.

Don't be fooled into getting a high magnification. It will amplify every breath and movement making the sighting difficult. Your field of field will be limited to a narrow range making target acquisition tough. During the warmer months, heat rising off the ground will make seeing the target clearly almost impossible.

I use (and most tactical applications use a 3 X10 power. The 10X super sniper are good but the newer ones might be less desirable than the older Japan manufactured models. I stay with the Leopold made scopes in the Mk IV model. I little pricey but you get what you pay for in this area.

Don't shortchange yourself on the mount and rings. Cheap aluminum ones will not keep the zero and aren't as rigid as they should be.

Don't be fooled into getting a high magnification. It will amplify every breath and movement making the sighting difficult. Your field of field will be limited to a narrow range making target acquisition tough. During the warmer months, heat rising off the ground will make seeing the target clearly almost impossible.

I use (and most tactical applications use a 3 X10 power. The 10X super sniper are good but the newer ones might be less desirable than the older Japan manufactured models. I stay with the Leopold made scopes in the Mk IV model. I little pricey but you get what you pay for in this area.

Don't shortchange yourself on the mount and rings. Cheap aluminum ones will not keep the zero and aren't as rigid as they should be.

What are you getting these rifles for? Are they AR15 type rifles, hunting rifles, target, bolt, semi-auto, lever, etc., and what type of shooting do you envision doing w/ these rifles.?

+1 as to high vs. lower magnification. I find myself gravitating toward lower magnification. I find much above 10X and the reticle is bouncing around too much... too distracting and youre field of view is very small.. I just joined Cherry Ridge and have been shooting an AR15 w/ Weaver Variable 1-3. As long as I'm maintaining the basics, I'm shooting just as accurately as compared to when I shoot w/ a Super Sniper 10X at 100 yards. I've very curious to see what shooting at 300 yards is like. That's next trip. I'm seriously considering a Trijicon Acupoint T24 1.1-4 as a "serious" scope for this rifle.

What are you getting these rifles for? Are they AR15 type rifles, hunting rifles, target, bolt, semi-auto, lever, etc., and what type of shooting do you envision doing w/ these rifles.?

+1 as to high vs. lower magnification. I find myself gravitating toward lower magnification. I find much above 10X and the reticle is bouncing around too much... too distracting and youre field of view is very small.. I just joined Cherry Ridge and have been shooting an AR15 w/ Weaver Variable 1-3. As long as I'm maintaining the basics, I'm shooting just as accurately as compared to when I shoot w/ a Super Sniper 10X at 100 yards. I've very curious to see what shooting at 300 yards is like. That's next trip. I'm seriously considering a Trijicon Acupoint T24 1.1-4 as a "serious" scope for this rifle.

I like low power for closer distances and hunting as the field of view is nice and wide.

For tactical applications, I see merits of both so......

I use a 5.5 x 22 50mm objective on my .308 bolts.

I LOVE HIGH MAGNIFICATION (can't get enough if you ask me) when I'm at the bench trying to shoot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards (yup, under an inch).

It helps me to be able to evenly quarter that target at that distance.

When I need lower magnification, say at 100 yards or so, I just dial down. Best of both worlds.

Mirage is an issue during warm months, but once again, when the image is boiling in the scope, I just dial it down. ;)

Real good scopes will handle this much better than say a Leupold Mark 4 or the like.

You get what you pay for when it comes to riflescope optics.

Different scopes for different folks.

My father in law shoots 1000 plus out in Colorado and he uses a 8x32 56mm objective Nightforce NXS.

If I was out there, my rifle would have one too! The 32x is that nice when your target is that far off in the distance.

But a 3.5x15 50mm objective or a 5.5x22 50mm objective would work well enough for you to hit cantaloupes and melons at 1000 yards if your rifle and you are capable. It all comes down to what you want from your scope.

As far as magnifying each movement you make (breathing, etc...) with high power - This is true but it has just made me a better shooter.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your search for the perfect optic for you!