RobCo

Enfield experts?

Are there any Enfield experts here?

I have an Enfield Mark V Mk1 "Jungle Carbine" and years ago my dad replaced the buttstock. And I am looking to put the rifle back all original, and I am trying to find out if the stock for the Mark 4 or the Mark 3 SMLE are the same as the Jungle Carbine

thanks

Good eye, @Handyman

@RobCo - In addition to moving this into a better-matched forum, I'm also flagging a few members on here who I think might have ideas on this topic. (I could be wrong!)... but these are a few names that popped into my head. If they don't have the answer, the might know of a good source to turn you towards:

@capt14k , @GRIZ ,  @USRifle30Cal   -  can you help this poster?   

Hello,

I am not an enfield expert, however, I can say with certainty the stock is unique to the Jungle Carbine.  The buttplate is different and the wood has a cut for the sling attachment on the side which is integral to the buttplate.

Have you identified if it is a real one or not?  The easiest "tale" is to look if there are the proper lightening cuts on the trigger guard forward of the magazine where the screw passes through it.  There are also cuts under the upper handguard as well, among other "tales".

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11932

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Hello,

I am not an enfield expert, however, I can say with certainty the stock is unique to the Jungle Carbine.  The buttplate is different and the wood has a cut for the sling attachment on the side which is integral to the buttplate.

Have you identified if it is a real one or not?  The easiest "tale" is to look if there are the proper lightening cuts on the trigger guard forward of the magazine where the screw passes through it.  There are also cuts under the upper handguard as well, among other "tales".

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11932

This pretty much answers the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input

I am sure that this is a real Jungle Carbine and not a clone or a number 4 that was modified. However, it has been bubba-ized aka sporterized with the furniture. So, I'm going to have a get replacement furniture for it. 

The stocks are not interchangeable with other models.  Complete Stock sets do come up for sale on eBay from time to time but they can be expensive. I have been looking for a better color match for my hand guard for years but have not been successful.

This place has original butt stocks. 

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/bolt-action/lee-enfield/enfield-5-mki.html

• Like 1

Also ensure it is a REAL No5....

It can be a cut down no4 mkxxx  that was done after the war to make you think it is a no5..

You will have the lightining cuts..do NOT only go by receiver markings.

5 hours ago, RobCo said:

Thanks for the input

I am sure that this is a real Jungle Carbine and not a clone or a number 4 that was modified. However, it has been bubba-ized aka sporterized with the furniture. So, I'm going to have a get replacement furniture for it. 

Pics?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Also ensure it is a REAL No5....

It can be a cut down no4 mkxxx  that was done after the war to make you think it is a no5..

You will have the lightining cuts..do NOT only go by receiver markings.

Pics?

I'll take some pics before the end of the weekend 

• Like 1

It has the 800yd rear....seems legit..ok so know this.

It IS inaccurate....unlike other Enfield when corrected...

I am recoil insensitive...however the stock butt plate will punish and hurt you to the point of you will never want to shoot it.

22 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

It has the 800yd rear....seems legit..ok so know this.

It IS inaccurate....unlike other Enfield when corrected...

I am recoil i sensitive...however the stock butt plate will punish and hurt you to the point of you will never want to shoot it.

I've heard about the "wandering zero" but I've never had a problem with it so far, but I also haven't used it much. And yes, I am very well aware that it "kicks like a mule" but that's ok. My goal right now is to just put it back the way its supposed to be. 

• Like 1