FunGun

Buying ammo in NJ

I'm new to owning a firearm.  I suppose I could walk into a gun shop here in NJ with my FID and be able to purchase ammo, but what about buying online?  How does buying ammo online work here in New Jersey?  is it shipped directly to my home?  Thanks for any help/info.

Yes it can be shipped directly to your home. Some online retailers will require you to upload an image of your FID card and possibly your driver's license. You can conveniently search online here. Notice the shipping costs when ordering to recognize the true price.

But be forewarned; inventories are low and prices are high. Same as in the gun shops.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Yes it can be shipped directly to your home. Some online retailers will required you to upload an image of your FID card and possibly your driver's license.

Sending them the FID is bad enough and I avoid those sellers.

If some place wants my DL thats a deal killer for me right there-NFW.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, FunGun said:

I could walk into a gun shop here in NJ with my FID and be able to purchase ammo

To be clear, the FID is required for handgun ammo.  Any ammo that can only be fired from a long gun (e.g. .308 or 12 gauge) does not require a FID.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, Bomber said:

Sending them the FID is bad enough and I avoid those sellers.

If some place wants my DL thats a deal killer for me right there-NFW.

These documents are required to purchase hand gun ammo in NJ.  The dealers that are requiring that are making an attempt a following NJ law.  

3 hours ago, PolishPete said:

Can you recommend a place that does not? Looking for some 9mm rounds for both range and home-defense.

Purchase online. Some sellers want a copy of the FID, others don't. Others won't ship to N.J. at all.

Try https://gun.deals 

or https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/search

This gunbroker seller is pretty good, ships to N.J. and no FID hassles:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=350199&PageSize=96

Prices are crazy high everywhere now but at least they have ammo in stock and ready to ship. 

1 hour ago, EdF said:

These documents are required to purchase hand gun ammo in NJ.  The dealers that are requiring that are making an attempt a following NJ law.  

Only Fid is required ...I think. Not everyone has a dl. 

3 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Only Fid is required ...I think. Not everyone has a dl. 

You may be right but there are other states that require a DL of other photo id. They are still just trying to make sure their asses are covered. 

A seller that asks for a DL might have their own state requirements that they are responsible for. 

Hi, I'm curious on this subject and have a few questions as well. I'm a recent new firearms owner as well and have been trying to keep up with the topics here which have been very informative. I've noticed the supply and demand is quite bad since I got into this the other month when I picked up my Sig P320 XF and have been trying to keep informed further since New Jersey has so many restrictions regarding firearms.

I personally live in a residential building with a lobby rather than a house. Are there any regulations on taking receipt of the deliveries if ordering ammo online? Are there any markings on the package or any ID checks that would require being done on delivery? Or would a building receptionist be able to retain the delivery package for my pickup in such a case?

56 minutes ago, Potato said:

Are there any regulations on taking receipt of the deliveries if ordering ammo online? Are there any markings on the package or any ID checks that would require being done on delivery? Or would a building receptionist be able to retain the delivery package for my pickup in such a case?

The online orders I've made via standard shipping showed up in plain cardboard boxes and were left on my door step.

Some giveaways might be the weight if ordering in bulk or if someone wanted to get nosey they could read the shipping label.  

In any case, I'd advise getting your in order in soon as possible. 

23 minutes ago, Potato said:

Hi, I'm curious on this subject and have a few questions as well. I'm a recent new firearms owner as well and have been trying to keep up with the topics here which have been very informative. I've noticed the supply and demand is quite bad since I got into this the other month when I picked up my Sig P320 XF and have been trying to keep informed further since New Jersey has so many restrictions regarding firearms.

I personally live in a residential building with a lobby rather than a house. Are there any regulations on taking receipt of the deliveries if ordering ammo online? Are there any markings on the package or any ID checks that would require being done on delivery? Or would a building receptionist be able to retain the delivery package for my pickup in such a case?

I've ordered a lot of ammo online.

It shows up in my door with an ORM-D or the new black and white diamond thing that means it's regulated.   Most of the retailers rebox it but any delivery guy is going to know what it is.     I see no reason why a building receptionist can't hold your package.

50 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I know one thing, I'd be looking for anonymity as much as possible buying ammo etc. right now.  I'd even pay more for that....

And interestingly enough, nearly every box of ammo I have purchased came in its original packaging for all to see. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

And interestingly enough, nearly every box of ammo I have purchased came in its original packaging for all to see. 

I've only ordered from Academy (when they shipped to NJ) and Palmetto State Armory. Both were shipped in plain brown wrappers. I wouldn't have been too happy if they arrived otherwise.

Best to call the seller and confirm how they pack if not living in a single family dwelling

5 minutes ago, Bomber said:

I've only ordered from Academy (when the shipped to NJ) and Palmetto Sate Armory.Both were shipped in plain brown wrappers. I wouldn't have been too happy if they arrived otherwise.

Best to call the seller and confirm how they pack if not living in a single family dwelling

I never cared about it until now... and I'm not buying ammo anyway. Hard to choose when people are begging for ammo.

But its common practice most places to ship the standard bulk box when you order one. I've never ordered ammo "by the box", only "by the case"

16 hours ago, Malsua said:

I've ordered a lot of ammo online.

It shows up in my door with an ORM-D or the new black and white diamond thing that means it's regulated.   

I'm building out a lab in one of our research centers; I went in last week to find two pallets full of boxes the size of case lots of .22, all labeled with the ORM-D sticker.  I got very excited, thinking I'd somehow been given a lifetime supply of rimfire ammo, but upon reading the fine print on the boxes, it was a lifetime supply of alcohol wipes that someone had stashed in the lab since it is still otherwise unoccupied.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 10X said:

I'm building out a lab in one of our research centers; I went in last week to find two pallets full of boxes the size of case lots of .22, all labeled with the ORM-D sticker.  I got very excited, thinking I'd somehow been given a lifetime supply of rimfire ammo, but upon reading the fine print on the boxes, it was a lifetime supply of alcohol wipes that someone had stashed in the lab since it is still otherwise unoccupied.

lol

I do have quite a bit of 22lr, I don't think I'll ever shoot it all.  I think it's the  most fun to shoot to be honest

I'll echo ammoseek, that's what I've used recently with success. Biggest factor for me has been trying to find free or low cost shipping. When you factor in tax and shipping the CPR shoots up pretty quickly.

Have found some good deals on range ammo, CCI Blazer and Geco (ammoshoponline I know there are conflicting thoughts on them but I had a great experience). For home defense ammo, I just buy whatever I like when there's a decent per box deal because I'm not buying a ton of it.