10X

NJ firefighter charged with possession of suppressors

Deputy fire chief charged with possession of firearm suppressors

He says he ordered them believing they were fuel filters for his truck*.

If that defense works, I may have to repatriate to NJ my collection of black Gen4 17-tablet PEZ dispensers.

These

*OK, he was arrested while voluntarily surrendering them at his local police station, so maybe it was all a mistake.

Yeah, it says he surrendered the first box and was arrested (by Feds) trying to do the same with the second box. 

The article also says that all the charges are related to the suppressors, not standard-cap mags like an earlier article claimed. 

4 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I could see him winning a huge lawsuit based on how it reads

The ATF had said time and time again these are NOT suppressors and are 100% legal to own. 

Unless YOU modify them to work as a suppressor they are legal. 

Will be VERY interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I could see him winning a huge lawsuit based on how it reads

Indeed.  If the description provided by Nappan is accurate, it looks like an "Oooops" moment for Homeland and the county prosecutor:

"Nappen said when Moran received the first shipment of silencers, he went to a local auto parts store and showed them to a clerk. The clerk told Moran the devices were not filters and suggested he turn them over to police.

Moran brought the items to the Carlstadt Police Department and handed them over at the front desk. Ten days later, a second shipment of silencers came to his home – even though Moran thought he’d canceled the order through PayPal.

Nappen said Moran brought the box of additional silencers to police headquarters. But as he pulled into the parking lot, he was arrested by agents from Homeland Security and the county prosecutor’s office, who had apparently been monitoring his movements.

“This is all pretty outrageous when you consider he tried to surrender these things,” Nappen told NJ Advance Media."

If he tried to turn them in it’s just another slap in the face of another legal permit owning gun owner. 
Hope all the details come out and it all gets thrown out.

the other issue is if not guilty he’s gonna have to go through all the hoops to get his stash back.

38 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

the other issue is if not guilty he’s gonna have to go through all the hoops to get his stash back.

Nope. 

A new law was passed the requires any confiscated propert to be returned shortly after a trial or if charges are dropped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicksibilla/2020/01/28/new-jersey-is-now-the-16th-state-to-require-convictions-for-civil-forfeiture/amp/

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Nope. 

A new law was passed the requires any confiscated propert to be returned shortly after a trial or if charges are dropped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicksibilla/2020/01/28/new-jersey-is-now-the-16th-state-to-require-convictions-for-civil-forfeiture/amp/

Oh, good.  Life is so much better with the law requiring that P2P's be issued in 30 days or less, so I expect NJ will follow this with equal diligence.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, YankeeSC said:

They did follow it. Was the guy arrest in the police station after handing the items over? 

No. 

Besides, your asking for a shit show buying cases of 'solvent" traps from china.

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

Oh, good.  Life is so much better with the law requiring that P2P's be issued in 30 days or less, so I expect NJ will follow this with equal diligence.

YMMV. I get permits in 3 weeks. 

On 10/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, 10X said:

Deputy fire chief charged with possession of firearm suppressors

He says he ordered them believing they were fuel filters for his truck*.

If that defense works, I may have to repatriate to NJ my collection of black Gen4 17-tablet PEZ dispensers.

These

*OK, he was arrested while voluntarily surrendering them at his local police station, so maybe it was all a mistake.

Even if it wasnt a mistake, do you really think that a man should be stripped of his freedom, his home raided, for committing a victim-less crime?

Wheres the victim? 

Who was harmed or injured?

7 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Indeed.  If the description provided by Nappan is accurate, it looks like an "Oooops" moment for Homeland and the county prosecutor:

"Nappen said when Moran received the first shipment of silencers, he went to a local auto parts store and showed them to a clerk. The clerk told Moran the devices were not filters and suggested he turn them over to police.

Moran brought the items to the Carlstadt Police Department and handed them over at the front desk. Ten days later, a second shipment of silencers came to his home – even though Moran thought he’d canceled the order through PayPal.

Nappen said Moran brought the box of additional silencers to police headquarters. But as he pulled into the parking lot, he was arrested by agents from Homeland Security and the county prosecutor’s office, who had apparently been monitoring his movements.

“This is all pretty outrageous when you consider he tried to surrender these things,” Nappen told NJ Advance Media."

Wait a second.

In his statements, did Nappen really refer to these things as "silencers"???

7 minutes ago, deerpark said:

Even if it wasnt a mistake, do you really think that a man should be stripped of his freedom, his home raided, for committing a victim-less crime?

No, I made no such statement and hold no such beliefs.  You're thinking of Homeland Security, you know, the ones who actually arrested him.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

No, I made no such statement and hold no such beliefs.  You're thinking of Homeland Security, you know, the ones who actually arrested him.

It can be difficult to determine a "tone" from a text post. 

It seemed like you were implying that the guy purchased the items intentionally and in doing so, he deserved what he got. 

I apologize if that wasnt your intention. 

8 minutes ago, deerpark said:

It seemed like you were implying that the guy purchased the items intentionally and in doing so, he deserved what he got. 

He did, though. 

Who buys 2 boxes worth of random "fuel filters" from China? 

I was under the belief the items were legal, im sure he was too.  He most likely saw in the news recently people were getting arrested for these things..he's one of many over the past few months. He tried to get rid of them, which was smart.. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

He did, though. 

Who buys 2 boxes worth of random "fuel filters" from China? 

I was under the belief the items were legal, im sure he was too.  He most likely saw in the news recently people were getting arrested for these things..he's one of many over the past few months. He tried to get rid of them, which was smart.. 

I'm speaking to the point of victim-less crimes. 

If there  is no victim, there is no crime.

1 hour ago, deerpark said:

That's far from reality. Every drug would be legal under that system. 

1 hour ago, deerpark said:

I'm speaking to the point of him knowingly trying to circumvent the law. Whether you agree with it or not. 

Who else is is buying monocore baffles in hollow fuel filters and passing them off as "solvent traps"

NFA isn't really a law that you fuck around with and then when caught ask "where's the victim",  that's not reality

14 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

That's far from reality. Every drug would be legal under that system. 

I'm speaking to the point of him knowingly trying to circumvent the law. Whether you agree with it or not. 

Who else is is buying monocore baffles in hollow fuel filters and passing them off as "solvent traps"

NFA isn't really a law that you fuck around with and then when caught ask "where's the victim",  that's not reality

Not sure of your point here.

Are you saying that its somehow less of a victim-less crime if its a federal level infringement as opposed to a state level infringement?

• Agree 1

Guy wants a suppressor

Suppressors are legal in some states on forms and tax stamps

Guy doesnt want to move to a free state, do the paperwork pay the fee and wait.

Guy tries to be slick playing a word game to get his toys...

Guy gets pinched...cause he's a dope...

Guy gets what he deserves as you play stupid games you win stupid prizes...like silver braclets ...

Don't be this guy or make him some kinda martyr for the 2A - he's a dolt.

Can you argue its a victimless crime? 

Sure...however its still a crime till the law changes...work to change the law.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Guy wants a suppressor

Guy gets what he deserves as you play stupid games you win stupid prizes...like silver braclets ...

Except that isn’t the scenario portrayed in the article.  Your interpretation is 180 degrees off from what was said. Not saying the article is right.. it’s from the guys lawyer, on a pro-gun site after all... but yours is completely opposite.   How many dolts who want illegal suppressors take their shipment to Napa?  Turn them into police?  Try to cancel their order via online service?  All of that is easily verified. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deerpark said:

Not sure of your point here.

Are you saying that its somehow less of a victim-less crime if its a federal level infringement as opposed to a state level infringement?

Not sure what you're point is... a law is a law, and a crime is breaking a law..

Other than a difference is philosophical opinion what does it being "victimless" have to do with the reality that he broke a law?

Speeding is a victimless crime

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Guy wants a suppressor

Guy wants his freedoms.

Suppressors are illegal in some unjust states and tax stamps are BS

Guy shouldn't have to move to a free state (he lives in the US of A), shouldn't have to do the paperwork or pay any fee

Guy is foolish because he cannot get past the "gotcha" goons

Guy's life gets destroyed since he obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Guy gets much more than he deserves because we live in an upside down world (too bad his name isn't Biden)

I agree, Don't be this guy, his life is ruined.  It is much better to comply in a police state and a post-Democratic Republic.  

He will put on those bracelets and stay in jail, unlike the real criminals and the pathetic justice system that get released.  

I do see your point though, and he and I and you must all try to comply to the letter and spirit of the law.

• Informative 1