10X

NJ firefighter charged with possession of suppressors

12 minutes ago, 10X said:

A lot of dead crash victims would disagree, if they could.

I'm sure people killed with suppressors would disagree too... 

I speed all the time and no one dies... 

What constitutes a victim less crime is subjective.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FishNHard said:

Guilty or not of what his intentions where for them  , if it wasn't modified yet to make it a suppressor then its not one period. I have chuncks of aluminum for machining doesn't make it an 80% lower either . 

Well, an 80% lower  is missing the FCG pocket. This is missing a single hole for the bullet to exit, which is predrilled/dimpled.  Its why the atf years ago said they are illegal. 

Many solvent traps out there are legal. They have individual core baffles that have no dimples. But they cost as much as the real thing. 

This is why you dont screw around with NFA items, its very unclear what is and isn't allowed through ownership of unfinished parts. There is a intent and construct clause similar to our awb ban in nj.

Just like owning full auto m16 parts... is it legal? Maybe? Most belive its the hole in the reciever that makes one a machine gun, but you can still get one to dangerously go full auto on slam fires.

• Like 1

Here is a link to a video about a guy that is being investigated for buying diesel filters as suppressors. He bought them as diesel filters, go figure. His hobby is working on diesel trucks, the channel is Truck Master. Big Brother is watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270sLN5WL2I

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Except that isn’t the scenario portrayed in the article.  Your interpretation is 180 degrees off from what was said. Not saying the article is right.. it’s from the guys lawyer, on a pro-gun site after all... but yours is completely opposite.   How many dolts who want illegal suppressors take their shipment to Napa?  Turn them into police?  Try to cancel their order via online service?  All of that is easily verified. 

If as a gun guy he didnt 'know' what he was doing, maybe there should be an IQ test to own guns....  JK of course..he knew what he was doing.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Guy wants his freedoms.

Suppressors are illegal in some unjust states and tax stamps are BS

Guy shouldn't have to move to a free state (he lives in the US of A), shouldn't have to do the paperwork or pay any fee

Guy is foolish because he cannot get past the "gotcha" goons

Guy's life gets destroyed since he obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Guy gets much more than he deserves because we live in an upside down world (too bad his name isn't Biden)

I agree, Don't be this guy, his life is ruined.  It is much better to comply in a police state and a post-Democratic Republic.  

He will put on those bracelets and stay in jail, unlike the real criminals and the pathetic justice system that get released.  

I do see your point though, and he and I and you must all try to comply to the letter and spirit of the law.

All valid flip sides...but work to change the law..repeal the law etc....

When you take risks to circumvent the law, you must be ready to absorb the ramifications if your planning goes south.

I am not a criminal and i should be able to own what i want and use it for all lawful purposes...........but that is not real life.

33 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

If as a gun guy he didnt 'know' what he was doing, maybe there should be an IQ test to own guns....  JK of course..he knew what he was doing.

I agree at a high level this sounded like someone who tried to pull a fast one and got busted.  What is interesting is the details of the story (or details we have been told) are easily verifiable and either lend credibility or completely incriminate him. If he was truly pulling a fast one why go with such a binary story?

Even if the events of his story are true the timing could still discredit him. How long between when he received and turned in the shipments?  Was it right away or was it after he had an idea the Feds were on to him?

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I agree at a high level this sounded like someone who tried to pull a fast one and got busted.  What is interesting is the details of the story (or details we have been told) are easily verifiable and either lend credibility or completely incriminate him. If he was truly pulling a fast one why go with such a binary story?

Even if the events of his story are true the timing could still discredit him. How long between when he received and turned in the shipments?  Was it right away or was it after he had an idea the Feds were on to him?

He tried to pull a fast one, he also planned the charade in case this occured.  Again just my gut....

Occam's razor

: a scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

All valid flip sides...but work to change the law..repeal the law etc....

When you take risks to circumvent the law, you must be ready to absorb the ramifications if your planning goes south.

I am not a criminal and i should be able to own what i want and use it for all lawful purposes...........but that is not real life.

Down here we say when things go north when referring to things going bad.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Down here we say when things go north when referring to things going bad.

Interesting.   I'd always heard the expression was 'going to Jersey' when things go into the crapper.

I just got this in my email!

Did you know that you can build your own silencer, at home, in the privacy of your own garage, basement or workshop and you can do it 100% legally?

Building your own silencer can increase your shooting accuracy, fun and you'll be even more prepared for when the SHTF!

Plus, you'll save hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of dollars, compared to buying a commercial silencer (because many silencers cost over $1,000 as you'll see)...

This is a unique Do-It-Yourself (DIY) project that's perfect for any red-blooded, freedom-loving American! Click the link below to see how...

>> How To Build Your Own Silencers At Home (100% legal)

"Molon Labe!"

calebleesignature2.jpg

Caleb Lee

P.S. If you click here and the website doesn’t display properly that means this promotion is probably over. We urge you not to hesitate and to claim your Free DVD today.

I am getting ready to submit a Form 1 to manufacture a silencer. I have been told that you can buy a kit and the whole process is very fast compared to a Form 4. If it goes well I may submit another to SBR an existing gun. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

Guy wants his freedoms.

Suppressors are illegal in some unjust states and tax stamps are BS

Guy shouldn't have to move to a free state (he lives in the US of A), shouldn't have to do the paperwork or pay any fee.

Unfortunately, people are products of their environment.

It could be argued that NJ is even worse than CA and NY, although its very close.   

For those who have grown up in this setting, freedom is a scary and foreign concept.

First off, let me preface by stating that this story seems to lack details/clarity. Secondly,  I'll be the first to admit I may be a little dense, but regardless of his "intent", the filters/suppressors/silencers were not modified in any way, so how would they be illegal items and not the filters they were intended to be?

• Agree 1

On 10/23/2020 at 11:27 AM, My1stGlock said:

If he tried to turn them in it’s just another slap in the face of another legal permit owning gun owner. 
Hope all the details come out and it all gets thrown out.

the other issue is if not guilty he’s gonna have to go through all the hoops to get his stash back.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, JackDaWack said:

Nope. 

A new law was passed the requires any confiscated propert to be returned shortly after a trial or if charges are dropped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicksibilla/2020/01/28/new-jersey-is-now-the-16th-state-to-require-convictions-for-civil-forfeiture/amp/

Seems to me I read a thread on here posted by a guy a few months back who's guns were confiscated under the red flag law. The reason he posted was because he was seeking advice regarding the fact that the courts decision was he was not a threat to society by possessing firearms but 8 months later the prosecutors office would still not return his property.

So much for laws protecting law abiding firearm owners in new jersey. NJ Status Quo = Laws only applies to prosecutions. Defendants rights do not apply. 

6 hours ago, fslater said:

Seems to me I read a thread on here posted by a guy a few months back who's guns were confiscated under the red flag law. The reason he posted was because he was seeking advice regarding the fact that the courts decision was he was not a threat to society by possessing firearms but 8 months later the prosecutors office would still not return his property.

So much for laws protecting law abiding firearm owners in new jersey. NJ Status Quo = Laws only applies to prosecutions. Defendants rights do not apply. 

This one?

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96508-firearms-return-help/&tab=comments#comment-1271222

6 minutes ago, fslater said:

That would be the one.... Seems like it was 5 year, not 8 month.

Disgusting isn't it.

Well, im not sure why youre using this as an example when the Law i referred to wasn't even a law yet. 

I find this entire state disgusting, doesn't change facts. At least I'm trying to make people aware that laws exist to help you, instead of acting like a disgruntled citizen all the time. 

I buy my fuel filters from my mechanic.  I doubt he gets his from the Chicoms.

I don't throw NJ gun owners under da Bus....but sometimes they do make me scratch my head some.  

I've used real cans that a friend paid real money for with tax stamps.  Far superior to the crappy home made job in this video on this thread.  In fact, he has one where ya don't even hear the .22LR round until it hits his steel target :) 

There's sumthin' missing from this story....the REAL truth.  I think @USRifle30Cal's "Spidey Sense" is on-point.

Rosey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

I buy my fuel filters from my mechanic.  I doubt he gets his from the Chicoms.

I don't throw NJ gun owners under da Bus....but sometimes they do make me scratch my head some.  

I've used real cans that a friend paid real money for with tax stamps.  Far superior to the crappy home made job in this video on this thread.  In fact, he has one where ya don't even hear the .22LR round until it hits his steel target :) 

There's sumthin' missing from this story....the REAL truth.  I think @USRifle30Cal's "Spidey Sense" is on-point.

Rosey

@Smokin .50 - I hate to toss fellow gun owners under the bus with my 'gut feeling' but you have to ask yourself...WTF were you thinking?

54 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

@Smokin .50 - I hate to toss fellow gun owners under the bus with my 'gut feeling' but you have to ask yourself...WTF were you thinking?

@USRifle30Cal  EXACTLY!  And if you think the BATF&E just hang-out having coffee & donuts waiting for this guy to drive up to the Cop Shop, I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, lol!  :)  He was being WATCHED and had a Plan-B.  Of course we'll never know the REAL truth, as both sides would have to tip their poker hands.  Meanwhile, folks with more emotions than facts get to say all their "what-ifs" on a forum.

At the end of the day, this guy is going to be the poster child of what not to do.  Just like the machinist that built his own AR where he worked at across from the NJSP barracks and then walked it across the street for "Show & Tell" to ask how to register it...

~R

• Like 1

The scary part of this to me is understanding what might get an honest person flagged.  

I own diesel vehicles that take large fuel filters.  I’ve built PCV catch cans for engines.  Apparently if one shops for these  and buys them, they could get flagged in a baseless manner, for what? Because the item has a thread pitch?

Ive never looked into this stuff enough to know what is advertised and how it’s advertised.  I did see the diesel mechanic’s  issues with ATF, shown on YouTube, a few months back.  

You just never know how rabid some may be to find a clue... or “smoke” and then pursue it.  And while NJ isn’t necessarily trustworthy with folks’ 2A rights, this seems to be tied with the Feds too... so it’s hard for people to really know what is going on. Not relative to sneaky worded, hint hint type ads, but regular people doing regular things.