Cheflife15

Target sports brand ammo failures

Ive had multiple rounds from a few different boxes get jammed in my gun. Ive had to aggressively rack the slide open and then use a rod to clear it out of the gun. 

I have 3 boxes of it left. What should i inspect to make sure it doesn't get caught? Is it a burr? Is the casing to missized? Any tips? I dont want to damage my gun over 3 boxes of ammo. Should i even run it?

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ive had multiple rounds from a few different boxes get jammed in my gun. Ive had to aggressively rack the slide open and then use a rod to clear it out of the gun. 

I have 3 boxes of it left. What should i inspect to make sure it doesn't get caught? Is it a burr? Is the casing to missized? Any tips? I dont want to damage my gun over 3 boxes of ammo. Should i even run it?

Sounds like oversized diameter?

You could removed the barrel and do the "plunk test". If you have a caliper or micrometer you could check the size. The best (IMO) option is to get a case gauge.

10 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Sounds like oversized diameter?

You could removed the barrel and do the "plunk test". If you have a caliper or micrometer you could check the size. The best (IMO) option is to get a case gauge.

What is the plunk test? Just running them through without it being live im assuming? 

Id rather not return em cause i dont want to pay for shipping. Id rather give them away or ditch em if theres not a way to check. 

What is the plunk test? Just running them through without it being live im assuming? 

Id rather not return em cause i dont want to pay for shipping. Id rather give them away or ditch em if theres not a way to check. 

Using the barrel as a case gauge. Drop the round in the barrel (chamber end) the case should "plunk" in and out. Side note, people more knowledgeable than I might be able to tell you if your particular gun is known to have barrels on the smaller side.

18 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Using the barrel as a case gauge. Drop the round in the barrel (chamber end) the case should "plunk" in and out. Side note, people more knowledgeable than I might be able to tell you if your particular gun is known to have barrels on the smaller side.

So hypothetically if the rounds slide through the barrel im good?

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

So hypothetically if the rounds slide through the barrel im good?

Not all the way through, no. The base of the case prevents that. If the cartridge does not go in to the base or is very tight/gets stuck, that's bad.

Edit to add: just google plunk test for images and videos.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pasu0115 said:

What gun are you shooting, and what caliber? That may help you get an answer. Sometimes, you could get a bad batch of ammo, other times, could just be that particular gun/ammo combo doesn't work.

After reading some reviews it seems other had the same issue. They said it has to do with the length of the casing. 

While trying the plunk test they all seem to got properly in my cz sp01 barrel, but they do not in my walther ppq match barrel. 

1 minute ago, Golf battery said:

What ammo is it.  Plunk test is usually for reloaded ammo 

It is target sports ammos house brand. Its called target sports ammo. 

Some of the casing sizes stick out a little further in my walther barrel where as they seem to sit fine in my cz sp01.

Any ammo manufactured, can be out of saami spec....  especially now if it is recent manufacture..or off brand.

What caliber is this ammo? Pics?

Pistol caliber headspace on the case mouth..too much taper crimp and you can get the case mouth into the barrel itself ...

Another issue can be too much bell in the case..

Another issue can be an improperly seated bullet depth...

Additionally, some guns, while the chambers are saami spec, if running a bullet with a different profile can result in the need for a different seating depth

Pic of the ammo could help

7 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

It is target sports ammos house brand. Its called target sports ammo. 

Some of the casing sizes stick out a little further in my walther barrel where as they seem to sit fine in my cz sp01.

9mm 40 s&w  357  .45  what caliber ammo are we talking about.

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

9mm 40 s&w  357  .45  what caliber ammo are we talking about.

9mm

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Any ammo manufactured, can be out of saami spec....  especially now if it is recent manufacture..or off brand.

What caliber is this ammo? Pics?

Pistol caliber headspace on the case mouth..too much taper crimp and you can get the case mouth into the barrel itself ...

Another issue can be too much bell in the case..

Another issue can be an improperly seated bullet depth...

Additionally, some guns, while the chambers are saami spec, if running a bullet with a different profile can result in the need for a different seating depth

Pic of the ammo could help

9mm, I'll take some pictures tonight after work

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Nick — pictures but don’t send it back till I see it 

we could always run it through a lee factory crimp die if it will help — that should iron out any issues as long as it’s not over crimped

This is an OVER crimp/taper issue...

10 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Nick — pictures but don’t send it back till I see it 

we could always run it through a lee factory crimp die if it will help — that should iron out any issues as long as it’s not over crimped

So here are 2 different rounds. One sits further in the barrel.  

Ps i still have your belt! Lets meet up one night. 

Screenshot_20201023-225100.png

Screenshot_20201023-225105.png

Now these same rounds fit a little more comfortably in my cz sp01 barrel. The walthers barrel leaves little to no room for anything that is oversized. 

8 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

So here are 2 different rounds. One sits further in the barrel.  

Ps i still have your belt! Lets meet up one night. 

Screenshot_20201023-225100.png

Screenshot_20201023-225105.png

Now these same rounds fit a little more comfortably in my cz sp01 barrel. The walthers barrel leaves little to no room for anything that is oversized. 

Show each round side by side...details pics of tjhee case mouth

Also lets KISS....  when was the last time you took an oversized chamber brush and scrubbed the walthers chamber?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Its the top one, then its on the right in the other pics. Seems like the diameter of the brass is a bit larger

I shot them an email. Lets see what they say. 

Screenshot_20201024-105440.png

Screenshot_20201024-105448.png

Screenshot_20201024-105456.png

Its clearly seen in the pics...the case is not sized properly for the round...more likely though the round went in crooked and bulged the case...you can see the tilt..

That would not pass my reloaded QC...

Do not toss the rounds...they can be salvaged resized and reloaded

This goes to show that commercial ammo is NOT superior to hand loads.

Inspect each and every round prior to use

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Its clearly seen in the pics...the case is not sized properly for the round...more likely though the round went in crooked and bulged the case...you can see the tilt..

That would not pass my reloaded QC...

Do not toss the rounds...they can be salvaged resized and reloaded

This goes to show that commercial ammo is NOT superior to hand loads.

Inspect each and every round prior to use

When it comes to inspecting, in the round drops into the chamber properly, its good to go right? Theres a bunch that simply are sized wrong. Im hoping they offer to take this crap back or credit me partially. Well see. 

When it comes to inspecting, in the round drops into the chamber properly, its good to go right? Theres a bunch that simply are sized wrong. Im hoping they offer to take this crap back or credit me partially. Well see. 

Yes that is the plunk test...  hold barrell, drop round...slides in smooth...turn over and it falls out easily 

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ok so if it gets even kind of stuck, dont use it. Thank you for the help!

1000000%

If they don't take it back...they won't...save the bad rounds for components...

Break one down...see the charge weight note it...

Break all round down...resize case...powder drop, seat bullet voila...proper hand loads..that YOU inspected...and QC'd

You actually win...they will get you money back and you have components.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

1000000%

If they don't take it back...they won't...save the bad rounds for components...

Break one down...see the charge weight note it...

Break all round down...resize case...powder drop, seat bullet voila...proper hand loads..that YOU inspected...and QC'd

You actually win...they will get you money back and you have components.

So with this said, alot of these rounds that dont fit in the walther fit in my sp01 chamber with no issue. So, pending they pass this test in the sp01 barrel, they should be good to fire in that gun right.