gleninjersey

Displaced Texan's Modified Chili

Well, it's simmering. 

It's @Displaced Texan "Modified" chili recipe because I'm sure he is taking his spice list and ratio to the grave with him.  

Will post ingredients a little later.

The ingredients.

2 pounds ground venison

2-3ish pound cubed up beef rib from the chain of a HUGE slab of ribs wife bought back during start of pandemic at Restaurant Depot.  

3-4ish pound venison back strap

1 pound vension tenderloin

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz)
1 can Store brand Rotel (14.5 oz)

1 large red onion diced

2 medium whie onion diced

2 tablespoons diced garlic (from a store bought jar)

2 cups water

2 cups of wife's tomatoe sauce (she just made a lage pot the other day)

2 beef bullions cubes

1/2 cup maza flour (I used yellow)

1 bottle of Yuengling Hersey Porter

The Chili Seasoning (I DOUBLED all the below as recipe said it was for 3 pounds meat in a beanless chili and I had easily doube that amount of meat)

3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspon paprika
1 teaspon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

I got the chili mix recipe from the interwebs from this web site:

https://www.rachelcooks.com/2019/04/16/chili-seasoning-recipe/

I ommitted the garlic powder and onion powder becuase I used fresh onions and garlic already.

Instructions:

Brown all meats, cut the browned venison back strap & tenderloin into cubes and browned a little more.

Sautee  the onions & garlic with a generous amount of butter (3 tablespoonish)

Add the water, the Rotel, tomatoe sauce and beef bullions to the meats

Stir all together and place over low heat to simmer & stir occassionally.

I simmered for a total of 3 hours.

Around 2.5 hours I placed the 1/2 maza flour and full beer into a bown and mixed together.

I added about a quarter of the maza flour / beer mix at a time to the Chili stiring each time.

Simmer for another 30 minute or so.

Screenshot_20201025-172303.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, you’re right, it goes to the grave with me. Mrs Tex doesn’t even know it. 

That looks really tasty! I’m anxious to see the ‘how to’! 

Personally, I like to make a thin paste from masa flour and beer. It tightens it up, and adds a really nice flavor to the chili. Personal preference, your mileage may vary! 

I’ve always used white, so I don’t know if the yellow will add a different flavor. 

Use about a 1/2 cup of mass flour, and mix in enough beer to make a slurry. Stir that into the chili. 
For beer, I use a Yuengling, or a Shiner Bock. 

You really don’t need to simmer all that long...I usually wind up doing it for a few hours to ensure the meat is tender. 

9 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Ah man, they had that but that but it says "Corn Meal" so I wasn't sure.  Maybe I'll run back and get that.  It's less than five minutes from me.

From quick google search the yellow may taste sweeter than the white.  Maybe I'll just try the yellow and see how it turns out.

So does yours. 

Hell, try it! Let me know how that works out. 

3F493818-B317-4FA0-8AF3-4D1F7D9A0BC4.jpeg

To me, it came out on the mild side.  Which is fine because I don't like things very spicy.  My wife on the other had thinks it's a little spicy.

It probably came out on the milder side because the Chili Seasonin Recipe was orgianlly for 3 pounds of meat.  I doubled everything and probably had at least 9 pounds of meat now that I look back on it.

It will probably come out spicier if you use closer to the called for amount of meat from the website.

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

FYI - Heated some up in the microwave.  It was even BETTER than last night when I first made it.

I've only made chili 3-4 times and I think is my favorite recipe thus far.

I actually prefer next day chili.  I feel that the flavor gets better.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1