gleninjersey

Displaced Texan's Modified Chili

Well, it's simmering. 

It's @Displaced Texan "Modified" chili recipe because I'm sure he is taking his spice list and ratio to the grave with him.  

Will post ingredients a little later.

The ingredients.

2 pounds ground venison

2-3ish pound cubed up beef rib from the chain of a HUGE slab of ribs wife bought back during start of pandemic at Restaurant Depot.  

3-4ish pound venison back strap

1 pound vension tenderloin

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz)
1 can Store brand Rotel (14.5 oz)

1 large red onion diced

2 medium whie onion diced

2 tablespoons diced garlic (from a store bought jar)

2 cups water

2 cups of wife's tomatoe sauce (she just made a lage pot the other day)

2 beef bullions cubes

1/2 cup maza flour (I used yellow)

1 bottle of Yuengling Hersey Porter

The Chili Seasoning (I DOUBLED all the below as recipe said it was for 3 pounds meat in a beanless chili and I had easily doube that amount of meat)

3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspon paprika
1 teaspon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

I got the chili mix recipe from the interwebs from this web site:

https://www.rachelcooks.com/2019/04/16/chili-seasoning-recipe/

I ommitted the garlic powder and onion powder becuase I used fresh onions and garlic already.

Instructions:

Brown all meats, cut the browned venison back strap & tenderloin into cubes and browned a little more.

Sautee  the onions & garlic with a generous amount of butter (3 tablespoonish)

Add the water, the Rotel, tomatoe sauce and beef bullions to the meats

Stir all together and place over low heat to simmer & stir occassionally.

I simmered for a total of 3 hours.

Around 2.5 hours I placed the 1/2 maza flour and full beer into a bown and mixed together.

I added about a quarter of the maza flour / beer mix at a time to the Chili stiring each time.

Simmer for another 30 minute or so.

Screenshot_20201025-172303.jpg

• Like 4

Yep, you’re right, it goes to the grave with me. Mrs Tex doesn’t even know it. 

That looks really tasty! I’m anxious to see the ‘how to’! 

Personally, I like to make a thin paste from masa flour and beer. It tightens it up, and adds a really nice flavor to the chili. Personal preference, your mileage may vary! 

I’ve always used white, so I don’t know if the yellow will add a different flavor. 

Use about a 1/2 cup of mass flour, and mix in enough beer to make a slurry. Stir that into the chili. 
For beer, I use a Yuengling, or a Shiner Bock. 

You really don’t need to simmer all that long...I usually wind up doing it for a few hours to ensure the meat is tender. 

Ah man, they had that but that but it says "Corn Meal" so I wasn't sure.  Maybe I'll run back and get that.  It's less than five minutes from me.

From quick google search the yellow may taste sweeter than the white.  Maybe I'll just try the yellow and see how it turns out.

9 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Ah man, they had that but that but it says "Corn Meal" so I wasn't sure.  Maybe I'll run back and get that.  It's less than five minutes from me.

From quick google search the yellow may taste sweeter than the white.  Maybe I'll just try the yellow and see how it turns out.

So does yours. 

Hell, try it! Let me know how that works out. 

3F493818-B317-4FA0-8AF3-4D1F7D9A0BC4.jpeg

23 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I forget what show, Good Eats maybe. But they talked about just using corn chips instead of Mesa flour. 

I think that was AB. Eh, I prefer the masa flour/beer slurry. 

To me, it came out on the mild side.  Which is fine because I don't like things very spicy.  My wife on the other had thinks it's a little spicy.

It probably came out on the milder side because the Chili Seasonin Recipe was orgianlly for 3 pounds of meat.  I doubled everything and probably had at least 9 pounds of meat now that I look back on it.

It will probably come out spicier if you use closer to the called for amount of meat from the website.

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

FYI - Heated some up in the microwave.  It was even BETTER than last night when I first made it.

I've only made chili 3-4 times and I think is my favorite recipe thus far.

I actually prefer next day chili.  I feel that the flavor gets better.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Raining and dreary for two days.  Whipped up some chili.

Brown up all the meat and tossed it into the Dutch oven or pot.

3 pounds hot garlic venison

1 pound of steak strips

Half pound bacon.

Added to the meat:

2 cans Rotel (mild)

4 eight ounce cans Goya tomato sauce

2 cups water

2 beef bullion cubes (one for each cup of water)

Mix together below and add it in to the pot and stir well:

3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspon paprika
1 teaspon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Let it simmer for about three hours stirring occasionally.  Towards the end I made a slurry with White Corn Mead and Guiness.  1/4 cup of the mead mixed with about half the beer.  Mix it well and then stir it into the chili thoroughly.  If needs more add another 1/4 cup mead and rest off beer and make slurry again.  Work it into chili well again and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes to an hour or so until thickens up.

This one turned out about medium hot.  The venison meat had spices already so I probably could have dialed a few things back to make it milder.

It's still darn good.  Just have to pat my brow with a napkin occasionally.  Lol.

Screenshot_20230924-182748_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

Great job, Glen! 

I have some friends who swear by adding cocoa powder to their chili, but they use the Mexican version. It has NO sugar, and adds depth to the chili. I’ll try to find out the brand they use. 

I have not tried it in my chili, but the next batch I make I think I’m gonna try it. 

• Informative 1

I used Ghirardelli non-sweetened cocoa powder.  We had it in the pantry.  It's a small amount considering the amount of volume you are making but I've heard more than a few people say it makes a subtle difference.

Have heard some people use peanut butter in their chili as well to add a little something different to the flavor profile.

I watched a video of someone (Meat Church YouTube channel) whipping up some "Texas Red" chili.  Will have to give that a whirl later in fall or winter.  Looked delicious!

This is a Mexican chocolate, used in making mole. 
It ain’t white boy chocolate. 

It’s very dark, I think is made with cayenne, and unsweetened, and very complex flavored. 
I’m working on finding the name of it.