eyeinstine

Lil' treasure i found.. Details??

Flea market find today... Bair 'Grizzly Bair" press setup in the orginal box. Even the lube bottle is full.. Appears to been barely used..

Didnt research ,uch yet, but did read that maybe Pacific bought them out, and then Hornady bought pacific. Need to do some more googling and reading, but seems to be a quality setup and has a strong following when they can be found. Anyone have a suggestion for a good reloaders only forum that would take interest in a thread on this find? Must not be too many around still in the original box and near new...

Not sure what to do with it. Dont really need it as i have a Leyman T-mag turret press, but never hurts to have a heavy single stage either.. But may be worth more to some sort of collector than it is to me...?

And info on this thing appreciated!

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6724.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

• Like 2

Looks nice!  It seems to be dedicated to 30-06 only!  Good if you reload that round.  I have 2 sets of 30-06 dies but I only have one rifle that uses it and I don't hunt nor do I shoot that gun at all so no need to reload.

Good deal if you have a use for it.   It looks to be in great shape!:)

39 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Looks nice!  It seems to be dedicated to 30-06 only!  Good if you reload that round.  I have 2 sets of 30-06 dies but I only have one rifle that uses it and I don't hunt nor do I shoot that gun at all so no need to reload.

Good deal if you have a use for it.   It looks to be in great shape!:)

Actually, it included your choice of a die set when sold new; other tahn that, it is a totally universal press using standard modern dies.

Heres a little advertising price sheet i found on line that garners some insight and info..

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Some early presses didn't have removable shell holders, you had to change the whole ram.

Yes, some of the very early presses were that way... By the time this one and the others like it rolled out, the changable shell holder had been pretty much standard.. These Bair presses are very similar and comparable to all the big name quality presses of that day, and  the ones still produced today..

Im guessing this press kit i have hear is late 60's based on the price list i posted above.  In 1972 this kit was $97.50, a good chunk of change back then!  But the ink printing on this box lid from the factory has $89.00 on its advertising labeling. Definitly had to a good few years prior to the 1972 price of $97.50

On 10/26/2020 at 6:32 AM, USRifle30Cal said:

How much do you want for it?

@RUTGERS95

Not sure i want to sell it just yet.. Really digging it... the little bit of researching ive done it has all been very positive.. Found some posts on reloading and casting sites about the scale being on of the most accurate beam scales made, and similarly great comments on the powder measure. The press itself in known to be very heavy duty and well made too..

Now if some crazy nostalgic collector has a good chunk of money burning a hole in their pocket and made an offer that couldnt be refused, i mighnt be inticed to part ways with it... :D

12 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Not sure i want to sell it just yet.. Really digging it... the little bit of researching ive done it has all been very positive.. Found some posts on reloading and casting sites about the scale being on of the most accurate beam scales made, and similarly great comments on the powder measure. The press itself in known to be very heavy duty and well made too..

Now if some crazy nostalgic collector has a good chunk of money burning a hole in their pocket and made an offer that couldnt be refused, i mighnt be inticed to part ways with it... :D

I have an early Pacific Beam Scale.......it is very accurate