GDITurbo77

Got our first Handguns a month ago. Already looking at what's next

I've been shooting a Springfield XDE 4.5" 9mm and my wife has a Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm for about a month now. We both love our respective guns, but we are already looking forward at what's next. She's got her eye on a Sig P320 XCompact and I'm torn between a Springfield XDM Elite 3.8 or a Beretta APX Centurion. My local shop had a full size APX that I went to look at that was really nice, but it was just as big as my XDE. I am looking for something a little smaller than what I have and so is my wife. Haven't had much luck finding anything locally. Gonna have to see if I can get them online I guess. Bass Pro has a really good price on the Beretta right now at $359 but they are always out of stock.

• Like 2

You can try to put in a Gun Price Request here, it goes to the FFLs registered here. If you're on desktop it is under "More" at the top. They might be able to order what you want.

For you @remixer at Monmouth Arms is close in Manalapan and @JT Custom Guns further South. You can't go wrong with either guy.

Good luck.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kc17 said:

You can try to put in a Gun Price Request here, it goes to the FFLs registered here. If you're on desktop it is under "More" at the top. They might be able to order what you want.

For you @remixer at Monmouth Arms is close in Manalapan and @JT Custom Guns further South. You can't go wrong with either guy.

Good luck.

Thanks...i'll look into this

Most likely your best bet is to shop around online - and snap it up when it's in stock.  If you can, go to a range and rent and try out whatever you can!

Sig P320 is definitely nice - Compact is good too.  How small/large are you looking to go?  Hammer fired or Striker fired?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

Most likely your best bet is to shop around online - and snap it up when it's in stock.  If you can, go to a range and rent and try out whatever you can!

Sig P320 is definitely nice - Compact is good too.  How small/large are you looking to go?  Hammer fired or Striker fired?

Well, considering it's impossible to get a CCW in this state, it doesn't have to be too small. Just a bit smaller than what we have now. More of an in-between size. My barrel is 4.5" and her's is a little over 4". I'm good with either hammer or striker fired. My XDE is a hammer fired. She does not like the external hammer and only wants striker fired. The XDM is 3.8" and the Beretta APX Centurion is 3.7". The Sig is 3.6".

1 hour ago, GDITurbo77 said:

Well, considering it's impossible to get a CCW in this state, it doesn't have to be too small. Just a bit smaller than what we have now. More of an in-between size. My barrel is 4.5" and her's is a little over 4". I'm good with either hammer or striker fired. My XDE is a hammer fired. She does not like the external hammer and only wants striker fired. The XDM is 3.8" and the Beretta APX Centurion is 3.7". The Sig is 3.6".

I have a Glock 48 which is on the smaller side.  Basically the same barrel length as the Glock 19 but the frame is slimmer (single stack vs double stack).  That may be a good option.  If you want something even smaller, the Glock 43x uses the same frame with a shorter barrel and slide.  Another one to look at is a S&W M&P compact.  

Keep in mind - smaller guns will generally have more felt recoil - there's less mass to help absorb the recoil.

• Like 1

Hopefully I've piqued your interest. Allow me to recommend S&W (used) models 14, 15 or 67 in .38 Spl or 19 and 66 in .357 Magnum. You'll find that you if you look the .38's are only $100 to $200 higher than your tactical tupperware. If you want to step up to the magnums you'll be adding $200 to $500 to the price of the .38's depending on the particular gun. For the price you'll pay for the magnums you could also consider the next frame size up and look at 586/686 models.

Always glad to give advice - I love spending OPM.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here's a Model 15

15-3-stag.jpg

Here's a Model 19

19-4-Sm-GA.jpg

Both of these are equipped with stocks that would add quite a bit more the prices I quoted in the above post.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Here's a Model 19

19-4-Sm-GA.jpg

Can't argue with that one Bob. That's my wife's first handgun, circa 1980. A friend of ours who shot competition did a two minute trigger job on it with a stone and it's smooth as glass. A pleasure to shoot. Almost as good as my Python!

Almost!

Beautiful revolver.

While there is always a good reason to buy another gun... There is never a good reason to make that purchase a revolver!

Jk

I actually do have one revolver, a colt replica single action, and it's fun as hell but will likely be the only one.  Best bet, browse the internet and sign up for every "notify when in stock" option you can.  Then when the email does come in you need to jump on it quickly.  I've found a Glock, Walther and my HK during this shortage and those emails helped tremendously.

• Disagree 1

I would diversify, you already have a pair of utilitarian plastic fantastic that work for carry/defense.  Don't buy another gun that fits the same "mold", that's boring and adds no purpose (my opinion, you can all disagree!)

Why not explore a revolver, or an all steel framed, or a classic/milsurp?  The latter can be had even more inexpensively than the guns you mention and are more available right now.

Well I went ahead and purchased the Beretta APX a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting on my 2nd permit to come through from the NJSP. Wife decided to hold off on another for now. She is in love with her Glock and doesn't want anything else at the moment.

To be honest, i've never been drawn to revolvers. I may get one eventually just for fun at the range though. Or maybe a Kimber 1911?

10 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

I would diversify, you already have a pair of utilitarian plastic fantastic that work for carry/defense.  Don't buy another gun that fits the same "mold", that's boring and adds no purpose (my opinion, you can all disagree!)

Why not explore a revolver, or an all steel framed, or a classic/milsurp?  The latter can be had even more inexpensively than the guns you mention and are more available right now.

I agree.   I'd suggest a .22 semiautomatic with good ergonomics and adjustable sights, a .357 revolver, or a 1911.   You can get the latter in 9mm if you want to limit the number of calibers you stock...but you know you really want it in .45.

I also would reccommend a revolver. My second handgun purchase was a Ruger GP100. It is one of my favorites, and I would never part with it (on second thought, I wouldn't part with any of my guns). I only shoot it in DA, and think it has helped my trigger discipline with my DA/SA and striker-fired pistols. I really wanted a S&W revolver in 357, but every time I inquired about one someplace they always told me it was put on hold for some guy named Bob. Although it's a little on the heavy side, I would guarantee you and your wife would have a blast shooting 38s especially.

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, Shepherd9 said:

While there is always a good reason to buy another gun... There is never a good reason to make that purchase a revolver!

Jk

I actually do have one revolver, a colt replica single action, and it's fun as hell but will likely be the only one.  Best bet, browse the internet and sign up for every "notify when in stock" option you can.  Then when the email does come in you need to jump on it quickly.  I've found a Glock, Walther and my HK during this shortage and those emails helped tremendously.

see, I feel like the semis are all 'been there done that' now and find I like the revolvers more.  I don't think I can miss with my 686, sucker is like an extension to my arm.  I fire that one much better than another handgun I own.

17 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

CZ-75 or some derivative (P01, PCR, SP-01).  All excellent and real tack drivers.

Good luck.

concur, partial to the p01 myself.  I shoot my cajunized od green one all the time and the nickel or polished one just sits but damn fine handguns.  although digging on the revolvers much more of late

19 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

Tactical reloads just don't look as cool with a revolver!  :-)

I honestly do love my Italian import replica Colt 45 single action, though.  Its a ton of fun at the range.

uberti?