Turbosig2020

Made my first ever Gun Purchase - How to transport

Finally made my first ever firearms purchase. Got something easy to start out with for the wife and I. I was able to source a MP 15-22 NJ compliant. Paid in full today, and just need to wait for the NICS to clear. My question is how can I transport the rifle back to my house from the gun shop? The Rules are a bit murky when it comes to whether it needs to be secured in a locked case and or in a locked trunk. I own a SUV so there is no “locked trunk” per se. Do I need to go buy a rifle case to take it home? Anybody know what to do exactly?

6 minutes ago, brucin said:

No case is necessary. Just unloaded and out of reach. A case is a good idea just to protect your rifle.

And to clarify, if the firearm comes with a case that is fine. No reason for OP to buy a  case just to get the rifle home. 

1 hour ago, brucin said:

No case is necessary. Just unloaded and out of reach. A case is a good idea just to protect your rifle.

I'm in the same situation as OP. I have a Subaru (hatchback), so there's no way to have a locked trunk/separate area. 

For handgun and ammo transport to/from a range, do both the handgun and ammo need to both be locked separately? The legal language is not exactly perfectly clear. 

I was thinking maybe a cable lock for the handgun (in a case) and then the ammo/magazines in a separate lock box. Would that be enough?

Thanks!

They don't need to be locked unless you are going through a state like NY. FOPA requires the case to be locked. Transport within NJ only requires unloaded separate from ammo and out of reach from front seat so towards the rear of your vehicle is fine. I have an FJ Cruiser and transport that way all the time.

OP enjoy the 15-22. My wife has one, muddy girl purple of course and it a blast to shoot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, brucin said:

They don't need to be locked unless you are going through a state like NY. FOPA requires the case to be locked. Transport within NJ only requires unloaded separate from ammo and out of reach from front seat so towards the rear of your vehicle is fine. I have an FJ Cruiser and transport that way all the time.

Thanks, friend! 

6 minutes ago, brucin said:

OP enjoy the 15-22. My wife has one, muddy girl purple of course and it a blast to shoot.

Thank you! Main reason I picked that particular model, easy shooting and to get her started on something relatively fun to plink with.

1 minute ago, Turbosig2020 said:

Thank you! Main reason I picked that particular model, easy shooting and to get her started on something relatively fun to plink with.

The iron sights a fine but I put an inexpensive red dot on Cindy's.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:54 PM, brucin said:

. Transport within NJ only requires unloaded separate from ammo and out of reach from front seat so towards the rear of your vehicle is fine.

Yes, thats because N.J. firearm owners can't be trusted with loaded guns within easy reach in our vehicles

Too much of a temptation to start firing randomly out the window on the way home from the range. :nono:

20 hours ago, Bomber said:

Yes, thats because N.J. firearm owners can't be trusted with loaded guns within easy reach in our vehicles

Too much of a temptation to start firing randomly out the window on the way home from the range. :nono:

Yes that's why we can't have a bayonet lug either. All those drive by bayonetings.

• Haha 2
  • Crazy 1

Quick Update: I wound up buying this case on Amazon. Great deal. www.planomolding.com/hunting/gun-cases/aw2-36-rifle-shotgun-case 

Still haven't gotten the call from the LGS for pick up yet. Anyone know how long the background check takes? I know NJ uses their own version of the NICS. Purchased last Thursday/Oct. 29.

7 minutes ago, Turbosig2020 said:

Quick Update: I wound up buying this case on Amazon. Great deal. www.planomolding.com/hunting/gun-cases/aw2-36-rifle-shotgun-case 

Still haven't gotten the call from the LGS for pick up yet. Anyone know how long the background check takes? I know NJ uses their own version of the NICS. Purchased last Thursday/Oct. 29.

NICS is closed today for Election Day, but as of late yesterday they were working on submissions from Thursday 10/29 with close to 4000 in the queue.  I was submitted to NICS on the same day as you and was told 4 days, plus the holiday.

Just now, bk030 said:

NICS is closed today for Election Day, but as of late yesterday they were working on submissions from Thursday 10/29 with close to 4000 in the queue.  I was submitted to NICS on the same day as you and was told 4 days, plus the holiday.

Thanks! My guy told me a few days, so that makes sense. Appreciate it!