JackDaWack

Sean Connery Died

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

I just watched Outland again this week. Probably one of his lesser known roles, but was also great in that. Frances Sternhagen was a great foil for his character.

That was a good one too. He could make taking out the garbage worth watching.

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Nobody remembers Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez? :D

He was that flamboyant Egyptian chap that was the Chief Metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain.

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

It’s a shame they never made any sequels. 

Im glad they didn’t. If they did, they would have sucked pretty bad.....

The Director’s/extended cut is pretty good though. Fleshes out some other characters and adds ~20 minutes or so (if I remember correctly) of movie. 

There are a few actors that when they go, they will be missed, Sean was one of them, may he RIP, When Clint Eastwood goes that will be something. Otherwise I have no respect for the majority of these privilaged a holes. Sean made some garbage watchable. 

• Agree 2

On 11/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, 70gto said:

There are a few actors that when they go, they will be missed, Sean was one of them, may he RIP, When Clint Eastwood goes that will be something. Otherwise I have no respect for the majority of these privilaged a holes. Sean made some garbage watchable. 

I agree with Eastwood. But with Connery going, it's like eh for me... 

Connery was James Bond.  IMO he could have played Bond at 90.  As Bond he was the man every woman wanted and the man every man wanted to be.

Most of you guys are too young to know about the Bond thing starting. I started reading Bond before the movies.  I heard President Kennedy liked Bond novels.  I started reading them in the 7th grade (only 50 cents in paperback at the time).

Pretty racy being I was in the 7th grade at the time!!!

Connery made $10,000 for Dr No.  A few years later he made $1,000,000 for Goldfinger.  The only people who had made a million for a movie before that were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton for Cleopatra.

A non-Connery Bond I like is On Her Masjesty's Secret Service.  That's because Diana Rigg left the Avengers to be in the female lead.  Before that Honor Blackman left the Avengers to play Pussy Galore in Goldfinger.  "I must be dreaming", one of the best lines in that movie.  Another was when Gert Frobe told Bond, "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Connery was James Bond.  IMO he could have played Bond at 90.  As Bond he was the man every woman wanted and the man every man wanted to be.

Most of you guys are too young to know about the Bond thing starting. I started reading Bond before the movies.  I heard President Kennedy liked Bond novels.  I started reading them in the 7th grade (only 50 cents in paperback at the time).

Pretty racy being I was in the 7th grade at the time!!!

Connery made $10,000 for Dr No.  A few years later he made $1,000,000 for Goldfinger.  The only people who had made a million for a movie before that were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton for Cleopatra.

A non-Connery Bond I like is On Her Masjesty's Secret Service.  That's because Diana Rigg left the Avengers to be in the female lead.  Before that Honor Blackman left the Avengers to play Pussy Galore in Goldfinger.  "I must be dreaming", one of the best lines in that movie.  Another was when Gert Frobe told Bond, "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die".

There was a mini series on ian fleming a few years ago.....it was really interesting, and the books are better than the movies!

20180522_190255.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 10:34 AM, brucin said:

That was a good one too. He could make taking out the garbage worth watching.

I prefer watching his leading lady costars washing dishes and folding clothes.

The Man Who Would be King was a great movie and I liked Finding Forrester.

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

There was a mini series on ian fleming a few years ago.....it was really interesting, and the books are better than the movies!

Agreed--if you haven't read one or more of the Ian Fleming novels, now is the time.  They're great.  The more recent James Bond books were written by other authors commissioned by Fleming's estate, and they're not quite the same.

I do enjoy the films, but even before they ran out of Fleming novels to make into screenplays, they started to diverge from the books in increasingly silly ways.   Moonraker, for example, was written about a single missile, with a range of but a few hundred miles, that the bad guy (Drax) was planning to fire at London.  By the time the movie came out, it involved an entire fleet of space shuttles and a cloaked space station where Drax was going to establish a master race after eliminating all human life on earth with nerve agent released from orbit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 10X said:

Agreed--if you haven't read one or more of the Ian Fleming novels, now is the time.  They're great.  The more recent James Bond books were written by other authors commissioned by Fleming's estate, and they're not quite the same.

I do enjoy the films, but even before they ran out of Fleming novels to make into screenplays, they started to diverge from the books in increasingly silly ways.   Moonraker, for example, was written about a single missile, with a range of but a few hundred miles, that the bad guy (Drax) was planning to fire at London.  By the time the movie came out, it involved an entire fleet of space shuttles and a cloaked space station where Drax was going to establish a master race after eliminating all human life on earth with nerve agent released from orbit.

God, Moonraker was awful. Actually, any of the Bond movies with Roger Moore...ugh. He was too ‘tongue in cheek’ for me. Don’t get me wrong, I still watch the Roger Moore movies, but I cringe a lot while doing it. 

To me, Daniel Craig was the best Bond. He was very cold, and ruthless.  More like I would ‘expect’ an MI6 agent to be. 
Connery was a very close second, but even he played the role a little too whimsically to be believable as an MI6 agent. 

May have to have a ‘Bond fest’ this weekend, in honor of Sir Connery. 

I prefer the Daniel Craig bond to Connery though I’m sure that’s mostly recency bias.  I still have a fond place for the Roger Moore bond due to its sheer camp. Especially The Spy Who Loved Me.  I loved the submarine car as a kid.  

10 hours ago, GRIZ said:

A non-Connery Bond I like is On Her Masjesty's Secret Service.  That's because Diana Rigg left the Avengers to be in the female lead. 

George Lazenby played a great Bond. 

11 hours ago, voyager9 said:

I prefer the Daniel Craig bond to Connery though I’m sure that’s mostly recency bias.  I still have a fond place for the Roger Moore bond due to its sheer camp. Especially The Spy Who Loved Me.  I loved the submarine car as a kid.  

I always saw Roger Moore as the Saint.  However when Moore became Bond they wound up getting the films rated PG to get a bigger audience.  They attracted the younger audience with a lot of gadgets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I always saw Roger Moore as the Saint.  However when Moore became Bond they wound up getting the films rated PG to get a bigger audience.  They attracted the younger audience with a lot of gadgets.

Just as an aside, PG-13 wasn’t implemented until 1984, with 6 of the 7 Roger Moore Bond films already out.

So it was either PG or R up to that point and I don’t think Eon ever wanted R’s