RexiMaxi

Newbie's first post

Greetings!

With all the hype and wife's encouragement to get some home protection, and after few months for paperwork, I finally got my first gun (Rex Zero 1).

I've tried Glocks as a very popular choice for first  buyers but Rex felt  was better for me.

Now, after a few range sessions and hours spent on this site among others I'm getting a feel for gun ownership and improving my skills. Questions are constantly popping up and even with Google's help I believe forums are always a good place to get good answers. So I've decided to get onboard and register. (free account for now, sorry admins, I'll consider premium membership at some point)

A couple of observations and questions from a completely new to this hobby vantage point... (if anyone cares):

WTF is with 10 mag limit? After my mags were pinned, it's almost impossible, even with a loader device, to get all 10 rounds into the mag. I've ordered oem 10 mags online and still waiting. - they didn't ask for FID copy so I assume it is legal to purchase 10 round mags online and ship to home address? 

I also thinking about buying a rifle, and based on suggestions and some online research I'm thinking about Modern Materiel Patrol AR. Unfortunately,  getting my hands on one is almost as impossible as getting toilet paper back in spring. Does anyone have any shop suggestions that might carry MM ARs? Do you know if their shop in Keyport usually have them stocked? Should I consider another option and why?

Concerning ammo, - I've had a good experience with www.ammoshoponline.com    - Shipping (tom my door) was pretty fast. I got 9mm Luger (Norma) for around ~ .50c per round. This is much cheaper compared to what I've paid at my range.

Training - I've registered to NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course and I hope it will help improving my skills and safety. Looks like several members on this forum gave a very positive feedback, - looking forward to it. 

Also, already started thinking about second handgun since my purchase permit will be expiring in December. Any recommendations on second handgun? I guess I should stick with the same caliber but I'm not sure if I want to go with compact or try something different like revolver?

Finally, I find gun ownership to be a very personal, (and expensive) hobby and ultimately rewarding experience. My goal is to get to a satisfying point in terms of shooting skills, even though I realize how long does it take to climb from newbie's level. )) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RexiMaxi said:

WTF is with 10 mag limit? After my mags were pinned, it's almost impossible, even with a loader device, to get all 10 rounds into the mag. I've ordered oem 10 mags online and still waiting. - they didn't ask for FID copy so I assume it is legal to purchase 10 round mags online and ship to home address? 

Any mag limit is ridiculous and should be unconstitutional.  It is legal to have 10-round (or less) mags shipped to your house.  

For rifles: Something to consider would be to get an AR that doesn’t break the bank and spend the money on ammo and range time.  I started with a S&W MP15 as it was fairly cheep and let me learn what I liked and didn’t. Then I built my own. 

welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

I also thinking about buying a rifle, and based on suggestions and some online research I'm thinking about Modern Materiel Patrol AR.

Another thought, since you already have 9mm, is to consider a pistol caliber carbine in 9mm, and share the ammo. There are a few AR9 platforms and similar carbines you might like.

Also, already started thinking about second handgun since my purchase permit will be expiring in December. Any recommendations on second handgun? I guess I should stick with the same caliber but I'm not sure if I want to go with compact or try something different like revolver?

Tough question for anyone else to answer. That's like asking "what car should I buy". It depends on your use for it, and how it fits and how comfortable you feel with it. Will it be something your wife might shoot? It needs to fit her hand too. Sticking again with 9mm will share ammo inventory. Is it for home defense? Then plan on having quick access to it.

Finally, I find gun ownership to be a very personal, (and expensive) hobby and ultimately rewarding experience.

This is true, and if you're not careful, can get addicting  (and your wallet will take a hit)... One of my favorite sayings.. "He who dies with the most toys, wins!".

Enjoy the hobby!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

Also, already started thinking about second handgun since my purchase permit will be expiring in December. Any recommendations on second handgun?

Adding:  As a new gun owner who is already talking about a rifle and second handgun your first priority will need to be an extension on your house for the firearms you’ll eventually get. 

• Haha 2

You might want to get a 22 of some kind.  Everyone should have a 22 revolver (double action) of some kind and a Ruger Mark of some variation (or a Buckmark)..  Or, perhaps just get a second copy of your first gun (one for upstairs and one  for downstairs).   It may be impossible to find, but I would checkout a CZ, Smith & Wesson M&P, or a Beretta, or Glock.  Sniper's suggestion to get an AR9 sounds like an additional plan.  I would stick to a 9mm pistol of some kind.  As far as rifles and shotguns... AR, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500, Remington 870...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

Also, already started thinking about second handgun since my purchase permit will be expiring in December. Any recommendations on second handgun?

Adding:  As a new gun owner who is already talking about a rifle and second handgun your first priority will need to be an extension on your house for the firearms you’ll eventually get. 

12 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

WTF is with 10 mag limit?

NJ is "safer" with a limit.  lol

12 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

for around ~ .50c per round. This is much cheaper compared to what I've paid at my range

FWIW prior to 2020 if I found 9 mm for under $0.20 a round I thought that was a good deal.

13 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

not sure if I want to go with compact

The only real advantage to something compact is to be able to carry.  Will you going any place where you will be able to carry on a regular basis?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

WTF is with 10 mag limit? After my mags were pinned, it's almost impossible, even with a loader device, to get all 10 rounds into the mag. I've ordered oem 10 mags online and still waiting.

It's bad news if you can squeeze an 11th round into a pinned mag, so folks doing the pinning tend to be conservative in their approach.  

That said, if you can get 10 rounds in and the leave the magazine sit for weeks, months, it sometimes makes it easier to load to full capacity in the future.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Ha... there's many times I wish I had a basement instead of a crawl space. :shok:

3 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Nothing worse then buying something and not liking it and it sits or you sell it.

Wait... what?? See my post above that states, "he who dies with the most toys, wins!".

Do you how many drills and screw guns I own?  :crazy:

59 minutes ago, 10X said:

That said, if you can get 10 rounds in and the leave the magazine sit for weeks, months, it sometimes makes it easier to load to full capacity in the future.  

That even holds true with 9. Squeeze 9 in and let it sit for a while. Later on you might be able to get the last one in.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Ha... there's many times I wish I had a basement instead of a crawl space. :shok:

Wait... what?? See my post above that states, "he who dies with the most toys, wins!".

Do you how many drills and screw guns I own?  :crazy:

That even holds true with 9. Squeeze 9 in and let it sit for a while. Later on you might be able to get the last one in.

Yep, I got dummy rounds sitting in mags, waiting for factory mags to arrive. 

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Wait... what?? See my post above that states, "he who dies with the most toys, wins!"

I know the term. I don't consider guns toys. I don't need to buy to win. 

I choose what being a winner is for me in my eyes. Everyone has their own vision for themselves. I don't judge people on what they have or don't have.

I buy what I think I might like, use it and after a while if I don't like it or don't feel like I enjoy taking it to the range it's gone. Like my glock, hated it and bye-bye.

I don't need to go out and buy 100 guns just to say I have 100 unless I'm a collector.

I don't buy them just to sit in a safe. I do have ones I don't use, but I call those collectibles

As far as owning many drills and screw guns, unless you're a carpenter there's no need

just organize better :) 

17 hours ago, RexiMaxi said:

My goal is to get to a satisfying point in terms of shooting skills, even though I realize how long does it take to climb from newbie's level. )) 

60 years in and still trying. Good luck with that.

Welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

I know the term. I don't consider guns toys. I don't need to buy to win. 

I choose what being a winner is for me in my eyes. Everyone has their own vision for themselves. I don't judge people on what they have or don't have.

It was a joke and a popular saying... Lighten up. :imsohappy:

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

As far as owning many drills and screw guns, unless you're a carpenter there's no need

just organize better

It's all about having the right tool for the job. I don't compromise. (plus I like all types of tools, and a firearm is a tool) :xD:

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:41 PM, voyager9 said:

For rifles: Something to consider would be to get an AR that doesn’t break the bank and spend the money on ammo and range time.  I started with a S&W MP15 as it was fairly cheep and let me learn what I liked and didn’t.

This.

Firearm ownership doesn't have to be expensive unless your shopping $1200+ AR's.

No way would I spend that much when perfectly adequate AR platform rifles can be had for much less even at today's panic prices. 

• Like 1