DownBeachDynasty

Question about magazine size.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I've looked in local shops, online stores, auction sites, etc. and I've come across something I was hoping this community could help solve for me. Let's say I am looking to buy a H&K VP9, but the sale also comes with a 17 round magazine (or two), what is my best option for purchasing the gun without breaking any state laws. As far as I understand it, in NJ we can only have 10 round magazines. Does this mean this purchase would be illegal from an online site such as gunbroker.com? Do I have to find a VP9 sold with or even without 10 round magazines and possibly purchase magazines separately? 

It seems a lot of the different makes/models of pistols I was searching are sold with higher than 10 round magazines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 minute ago, DownBeachDynasty said:

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I've looked in local shops, online stores, auction sites, etc. and I've come across something I was hoping this community could help solve for me. Let's say I am looking to buy a H&K VP9, but the sale also comes with a 17 round magazine (or two), what is my best option for purchasing the gun without breaking any state laws. As far as I understand it, in NJ we can only have 10 round magazines. Does this mean this purchase would be illegal from an online site such as gunbroker.com? Do I have to find a VP9 sold with or even without 10 round magazines and possibly purchase magazines separately? 

It seems a lot of the different makes/models of pistols I was searching are sold with higher than 10 round magazines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No matter where you actually buy the gun,  you will be required to take possession of the firearm at an FFL.

This dealer you pick up the gun from will not give you the gun with a magazine larger than 10 rounds.   If you buy it from gun broker, the dealer will hold on to the mags.  Whether he pays you for them or not is entirely up to the dealer.  I'd make that clear before I had a gun from GB sent to the dealer.

If you buy a gun from a dealer's inventory, it will have a state legal magazine(s) with the gun.

Some FFLs in NJ will be willing to block the magazines to 10rds capacity for extra $ in addition to the transfer, in average $20 per mag. You have to first close that with the FFL where the handgun going to be shipped at. Also make sure that the seller will ship the gun with the mags because some of them ship without from the fear of "breaking the NJ law", but in reallity scamming you on the mags.

56 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

This one is easy, just buy a revolver. Problem solved.

You can thank me later.

Adios, 

Pizza Bob

So which manufacturer will be first on the market with a 15 shot revolver? I'm imagining a pic.

Could be a big seller in NJ!

22 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

So which manufacturer will be first on the market with a 15 shot revolver? I'm imagining a pic.

Could be a big seller in NJ!

Cmon man! Everyone should have at least one 4" 357 revo. Timeless classic.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, siderman said:

C'mon man! Everyone should have at least one 4" 357 revo. Timeless classic.

LOL! Of course. Alas mine are 2", 5" and 6". Didn't quite hit the magic 4". And the largest capacity is eight rounds. Still under the limit.

I do appreciate the Dolt'en Joe reference though.

13 minutes ago, RexiMaxi said:

one thing I've learned is to order OEM 10 mags, if you can. In my case conversion pin put by FFL dealer made it almost impossible to put 10 rounds. 

So I did end up purchasing a VP9 and had two mags pinned. It is noticeable more difficult to load the 10th round in what was a 17 round mag

1 hour ago, DownBeachDynasty said:

It is noticeable more difficult to load the 10th round

I had a lengthy discussion with a rep at Charlie Cooper about the 10th round (or last round) problem.  It was like pulling teeth, but he finally fessed up that they purposely make it so the tenth round barely fits, even if it could cause a malfunction.  They are more afraid of being sued by NY or Cali than they are the widow of some guy who's gun would not load the first round off a fully loaded modded mag.  It's the morons that try to force an 11th round in 10 round mags that made that a necessary decision for Cooper.

No matter what the mag capacity, it's generally a good practice to load any mag "minus 1".  I knew this all along, before I called Cooper,  and always loaded my mags -1.  But, I'm a stubborn fool sometimes, and goddammit, I paid for a mag that functions with ten rounds and that bitch better hold ten, even if I intend to only load nine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

HK has VP9 10 round mags from the factory.  You can find them on hkparts website.  I had the original ones pinned and ordered 6 more 10 round factory mags separately.  The factory 10 round mags can also be disassembled for cleaning whereas the pinned ones cannot.

Love the VP9, one of my favorites.

And infinitely superior to a revolver!  :)

16 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I had a lengthy discussion with a rep at Charlie Cooper about the 10th round (or last round) problem.  It was like pulling teeth, but he finally fessed up that they purposely make it so the tenth round barely fits, even if it could cause a malfunction.  They are more afraid of being sued by NY or Cali than they are the widow of some guy who's gun would not load the first round off a fully loaded modded mag.  It's the morons that try to force an 11th round in 10 round mags that made that a necessary decision for Cooper.

No matter what the mag capacity, it's generally a good practice to load any mag "minus 1".  I knew this all along, before I called Cooper,  and always loaded my mags -1.  But, I'm a stubborn fool sometimes, and goddammit, I paid for a mag that functions with ten rounds and that bitch better hold ten, even if I intend to only load nine.

Thanks for the info. Quick question: When does the minus 1 rule apply? If I am at the range, should I only load 9? When I store my gun for home protection, should I only load 9 or is 10 ok then? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DownBeachDynasty said:

When does the minus 1 rule apply?

There is no such "rule".  It is a practice adopted by some, believed to avoid potential problems associated with inserting a mag on a closed bolt (typically assuming there is one in the chamber), or misfeeds (problem stripping off the first round) from a fully loaded mag that is under max spring tension. 

There has been much debate on the topic, it all comes down to personal preference, what you feel comfortable with.  Some folks load minus two or three.  In a free state where one can load 29 or 28, it's not a big deal, but in the DPRNJ, that one round becomes precious, so there is a lot of motivation, if not temptation to go 10+1.

Experiment at the range any way you like, and make your own decision on how to load your mags.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:56 AM, Shepherd9 said:

HK has VP9 10 round mags from the factory.  You can find them on hkparts website.  I had the original ones pinned and ordered 6 more 10 round factory mags separately.  The factory 10 round mags can also be disassembled for cleaning whereas the pinned ones cannot.

Love the VP9, one of my favorites.

And infinitely superior to a revolver!  :)

I handgun hunt, no VP9 is superior to any of the revolvers I use. The VP9 is infinitely inferior from this perspective. :)