Displaced Texan

‘Dillo Dust

This is exciting news to me. Mrs Tex loves this stuff too. 

For those LaRue Tactical customers, and fans of the ‘Dillo Dust seasoning that comes with your order....the code has been cracked. We now know what LT is using. 

Amazon has it...$9 for a 14oz jar.

On the down side, there goes my ‘excuse’ to spend hundreds, (or thousands) with LaRue Tactical to get my “free” jar of ‘Dillo Dust. Damn it! 

Seriously, this stuff is awesome as a rib rub. On a pork shoulder as well. 

7EF610D2-705C-4C98-B1D7-516DF2672150.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

There MUST be some other way to buy it without putting money in Jeff Bezos' pocket.

FJB and his WP

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

There MUST be some other way to buy it without putting money in Jeff Bezos' pocket.

FJB and his WP

Their own website links directly to Amazon...

However you could line Walmart's pockets...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Adkins-Western-Style-Barbecue-BBQ-Seasoning-16-OZ-All-Natural/109918535

Or Someone else - not sure who these guys are.

https://texasfoodsdirect.com/products/adkins-western-style-barbecue-seasoning-16-oz-bags

I still thank Dillow dust for my Trijicon 1X4 and Larue quick detach mount. My wife really liked Dillow dust after another purchase from Larue, I told her I was looking at a scope for a different AR and needed to order a mount to get the dust. She actually encouraged me to spend the money and get them.

Larue rocks and wife is still OK too. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisco said:

I still thank Dillow dust for my Trijicon 1X4 and Larue quick detach mount. My wife really liked Dillow dust after another purchase from Larue, I told her I was looking at a scope for a different AR and needed to order a mount to get the dust. She actually encouraged me to spend the money and get them.

Larue rocks and wife is still OK too. :)

That’s awesome! 

In retrospect, I shouldn’t have told the wife the code had been cracked.  No more do I have the excuse of ordering from LaRue just to get Dillo dust. 

On the other hand, our new house is 5 miles from them. Maybe I can use the excuse of supporting local businesses!!!! 

I looked it up-the bacterium is easily killed by cooking.   It is transmissible through undercooked armadillo, and apparently in some places raw armadillo liver is considered a delicacy.  You can learn the weirdest stuff on the internet...

So always cook your  armadillo thoroughly.   Bats, too. :-)

9 minutes ago, TurnpikeTed said:

Seems like I'm the only here who hasn't tried this stuff... Looks like I know what I'm ordering now. 

I’ll be using it this weekend, smoking a turkey, and possibly a rack of ribs. 

The down side of dillo dust is that it is a shit ton of sugar. I mean it's 1g of sugar per 1.2g serving. 

For those who don't want the sugar (and granted, it's a way different thing than the dillo dust) I can recommend pork barrel BBQ all american seasoning mix. It's frikin awesome on pork chops, and if you make a nice pan juice with it using chicken broth, it goes great on broccoli and rice. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

The down side of dillo dust is that it is a shit ton of sugar. I mean it's 1g of sugar per 1.2g serving. 

For those who don't want the sugar (and granted, it's a way different thing than the dillo dust) I can recommend pork barrel BBQ all american seasoning mix. It's frikin awesome on pork chops, and if you make a nice pan juice with it using chicken broth, it goes great on broccoli and rice. 

Yeah the sugar is the downside, but, that makes for nice caramelized crust on pork. 

I have dry rubbed this 12# Turkey with Dillo dust, cut with another bbq rub I like. It will go on the smoker tomorrow. 

7AB17410-92B7-4109-9801-29FEDD78AEEB.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yeah the sugar is the downside, but, that makes for nice caramelized crust on pork. 

I have dry rubbed this 12# Turkey with Dillo dust, cut with another bbq rub I like. It will go on the smoker tomorrow. 

7AB17410-92B7-4109-9801-29FEDD78AEEB.jpeg

What temp are you smoking at?

Did a turkey last weekend to prep for turkey day, 275 for about 3 hours, came out pretty good, used a homemade rub and herb butter under the skin. Thankgiving turkey will be a little bigger, might start it a little lower temperature to get more smoke flavor, than finish higher for the skin.

Smoker is about 275°. I put it on about an hour ago. 

This is a fairly small bird, a little over 12#. I imagine it will be to temp early this afternoon. 

This one is to have on hand for quick meals, the Thanksgiving bird will be roasted, Mrs Tex prefers it that way. 

6E146F25-31A2-44A5-A25D-7EFCC3FBCC0B.jpeg

• Like 1

About 4.5 hours on the smoker, the thickest part of the breast reached 162°. I took it off and wrapped it in a foil tent to rest for a few hours. Residual cooking will take it to a safe 165°. 
I’ll break it down after that, and vacuum seal the bits. 

We will have one of the breasts tonight for smoked turkey sammiches! 
The other breast will go for a future dinner, and legs/thighs will probably be used in a gumbo, or maybe a chili. 

27C91974-D2AA-4B53-B6E9-EAEE971B5D39.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 10X said:

Nice!  Beautifully browned. 

I smoked my first whole turkey just a month or two ago, can’t figure out now why I waited so long. 

Smoked turkey is lovely, and not difficult at all. 

33 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I just ordered 2lbs of the rub just based on this thread. I plan on smoking 2 turkeys on Thanksgiving and hope that it is as good as it seems.

It’s good on turkey...but it’s even better on ribs.