Blue Star Union

Another “License to Carry a Handgun” Applicant submitted - appeal to follow

Hey everyone - 

I recently fulfilled all the necessary pre-requisites and submitted my own application to carry. When the application is eventually rejected, we will have backing from an outside national organization to help with the appeal. 

I will be providing step-by-step updates on the process so New Jerseyans can catch a real glimpse into the process. 

feel free to subscribe to the channel to hear the latest. We look forward to joining this effort to overturn these obnoxious, discriminatory laws in New Jersey. We are putting our money where our mouth is and taking the plunge.

you can watch our announcement here: 

• Like 8
  • Informative 1

An honorable action, though I fear it will be fruitless until SCOTUS intervenes on our behalf. The people of NJ care more about their stupid marijuana and late-term abortions then they do about their right to self-defense. The idea of self defense of property and person does not even register in the psyche of people that live here, when I utter the words "self defense" they look at me like I'm from another planet. Truthfully, I'm surprised the police in your town even let you apply, I know from experience how hostile NJ police can be regarding FID applications let alone CCW. 

• Like 1

I think you’re sort of reverse engineering this 

the entire purpose is to have scotus as the backstop. You can’t get there without a case. These are first steps - 1 of many people doing it. so it inherently isn’t fruitless - you can’t get a scotus decision unless people apply and get rejected. And you can’t build awareness until there are mass rejections  

a conversation can’t happen without content to discuss  

everyone is entitled to apply. The police cannot refuse to accept your application. They can lie to you , but it’s up to you to ensure they take it. Them refusing to take your documents is an amazing lawsuit unto itself. All are wins when framed correctly. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Blue Star Union said:

Thank you all for the kind words. We are looking forward to seeing how this plays out. 

@Smokin .50 feel free to contact us at 

https://www.bluestarunion.com/contact-us.html

Message sent with my email & phone number :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I'm serious, if we had thousands upon thousands apply and denied, I would think it would demand higher court action

Do I remember correctly, if we were to apply, and then be denied in NJ (the most likely result), if you go and apply for some other CCW permit (like FL or UT or any other non-resident permit), there's a question on those applications that asks "have you ever been denied in the past?".

Wouldn't you have to answer "yes" to the question (if denied in NJ), which would affect the approval of the non-resident permit?

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Do I remember correctly, if we were to apply, and then be denied in NJ (the most likely result), if you go and apply for some other CCW permit (like FL or UT or any other non-resident permit), there's a question on those applications that asks "have you ever been denied in the past?".

Wouldn't you have to answer "yes" to the question (if denied in NJ), which would affect the approval of the non-resident permit?

We covered this in the video. That question exists in our own state. The only thing you’d have to say is check yes and the reason being “lack of justifiable need” 

it doesn’t just suddenly turn you into a criminal and it doesn’t make you disqualified from owning a firearm.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Sniper said:

Shall issue states do not care about any of that crap. I don't think they even have the question on the application. They check your fingerprints and see if you have a criminal history. Either way it would not hurt you. I have been saying that every NJ resident on this forum should apply and be denied. Sitting around thanking other doing this accomplishes nothing. If you haven't applied, then you have not been harmed by the state. The state of NJ can easily show that the majority of carry licenses are approved because the people applying are doing so for their jobs (security guards, etc.). Many have been saying this for years. The biggest problem is that the majority of NJ gun owners stand around and wait for someone else to act on their behalf. Nothing will ever happen on a large scale unless everyone gets involved. I can't think of a more direct method of affecting change than applying for and being denied a carry permit.

I know some will say that the onerous process is proof that there is a de facto ban in place. Without a large amount of application denials it is merely griping and hearsay.

• Like 1

Not only is this the right idea (and what I pushed 2A groups to do for 8 years, and I was scoffed at during certain meetings by certain people) but it establishes a precedent of denial, so that when someone actually does fall victim to crime after rejection, which is inevitable, it hurts the state’s narrative even more. 

I think the rejections and the racial angle would have solved this quickly, but the groups with resources, again, laughed at me. So here I am now with our own group and this is my very small way of contributing and being accountable until I can have a larger impact. 

• Like 3

Wouldn't it also be a good idea to go after the FID card rules and the permit to purchase requirement? In most states you can just go to a gun store and do a background check. You do not have to apply to a police department for permission to own a gun. And the PD can take as long as they want. Is anyone working on that, and what would it take to bring down this system?

Do some gun owners like the system because it keeps the nuttier element from building arsenals? If so, OK fine, but there should at least be a way to prevent the PD from taking seven months to process your permit. 

51 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

the PD can take as long as they want. Is anyone working on that

I believe that has been challenged multiple times, and shot down by the NJ courts.  They can take as long as they want to process the applications.

51 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

it keeps the nuttier element from building arsenals

I think that's the intent, but for me the reality is "does that really matter"?  Why is having one firearm less dangerous than many?  One of the many "feel good" laws "for your safety" that really do nothing for anyone's safety but simply expand control for those in power ...

• Like 1