JeepGunner

Tactical Reloads 10 rd Magpul Mags

1 hour ago, StarGazer said:

I see that in free states, people load their 30 rd mags to 29 or 28 to prevent issues reloading when the bolt is closed.

Do you guys load in less than 10 here?  I don't seem to have issues seating the magpul mag when loaded to 10.

Download in closed bolt load up in open bolt...easy peasy...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

If we were in a free state, we can have a discussion about wherever to download or no, but in NJ, we are legally capped at 10 rounds. Why put yourself at a disadvantage with 8 or 9 rounds?

I wouldn't, I just wanted to see if anyone has issues with fully loaded pmags.  Mine seat fine fully loaded and bolt closed.  I'm running couplers so I can do a quick flip reload, so 2 mags/ 20 rounds are always on my rifles.  They also look better with the coupled mags. I highly recommend them.

I got some 10/30 mags coupled with cardboard as a spacer and tape for the same idea. Got idea from Larry Vickers in a forgotten weapons video.

27 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

I wouldn't, I just wanted to see if anyone has issues with fully loaded pmags.  Mine seat fine fully loaded and bolt closed.  I'm running couplers so I can do a quick flip reload, so 2 mags/ 20 rounds are always on my rifles.  They also look better with the coupled mags. I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

When I first got some 10 round ProMag magazines for my Mini14 the spring was way too tight for me to load 10 rounds and have them seat on a closed bolt.

After LOTS of use I can smack them in and they'll seat, but when it's sitting in the safe I usually have it loaded with a 9 round magazine just in case.

I'll be 3d printing a magazine coupler this week, so that will help with capacity...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

got some 10/30 mags

I went with some 10/30s too. I haven't had an issue. Seems there's enough flex so the 10th round doesn't cause an issue. I also went with some mag blockers, to limit existing mags to 10. They also seem to be OK.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, StarGazer said:

I see that in free states, people load their 30 rd mags to 29 or 28 to prevent issues reloading when the bolt is closed.

Do you guys load in less than 10 here?  I don't seem to have issues seating the magpul mag when loaded to 10.

when i had my magpul 15 rounders while they were legal, those would not load on a closed bolt if i had 15 in them. i've got mft 10 rounders now, and they will load on a closed bolt with 10.....so i load to 10

• Thanks 1

Of mags I own:

Hexmag factory 10rd (10/30) mags

Hexmag factory 15rd (15/30) mags modified to 10rd

Magpul factory 10rd (short) mag

Magpul factory 20rd (medium length) mag modified to 10/20

All will load fine on a closed bolt with 10 rounds in the mag

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Ive found it varies from mag to mag.  All of mine are Pmags, either 10/20s or 10/30s.  When loaded to 10 some will seat on a closed bolt with a little force, others will not at all. YMMV as manufactures are personally moving these, not Magpul, and they are cautious of not leaving much room after that 10th round.  A little break in in the materials helps too. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

Ive found it varies from mag to mag.  All of mine are Pmags, either 10/20s or 10/30s.  When loaded to 10 some will seat on a closed bolt with a little force, others will not at all. YMMV as manufactures are personally moving these, not Magpul, and they are cautious of not leaving much room after that 10th round.  A little break in in the materials helps too. 

This has been my experience as well!  Some work on a closed bolt, some don't.......When you are limited to 10 rounds it does matter!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shepherd9 said:

I have found it also varies gun to gun. I can seat all but one of my hexmags with 10 rounds and a closed bolt. A friend's Stag won't seat a hexmag at all regardless of the number of rounds or bolt position.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2020 at 9:23 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

Download in closed bolt load up in open bolt...easy peasy...

all my mags sit loaded.. and my AR mags are all loaded to 29 so I dont have to guess whats what.. to the OP it really just matters how the mags seat in the gun.. if you can put 10 in and reliably seat the mag.. then go 10.. if you can only fit 9 and 100% seat the mag... personally.. I would leave them all loaded at 9.. downloading a mag that can only hold 10 to begin with sucks.. but not being able to seat a full mag under stress and ending up with it on the ground is worse.. IMO..