FunGun

New gun - clean before first use?

I always clean a new firearm partly because of extra thick packing grease and partly because it's a good way for me to learn all of the working parts better. I usually learn my firearm best by taking it apart and putting it back together. It's like I can picture in my head the "guts" of the thing when I'm using it. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, FunGun said:

I recently got a Troy A4 Other 9mm, 10.5 barrel.  Just purchased some ammo... Should the gun be cleaned before the first use?  I guess it couldn't hurt.  What tools/supplies should I get to properly clean the firearm?

Thanks!!!

Yup.  Take it apart and make sure it looks squared away.

If it's actually brand new you won't have to "clean" it.  Make sure there's no visible dirt/crud, make sure it appears to have been oiled (and oil it if it hasn't been), and run a bore snake through the barrel.

After you shoot it, repeat the process, only actually clean and lube it (you'll already be an expert as disassembly/reassembly).

Get a basic cleaning kit (you'll accumulate more as you get more guns), snake, cleaning solution, and oil,

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Legend-Cleaning-Caliber-Rifle/dp/B000CPKAUS/ref=sr_1_45?crid=2XRAHJQI5H1II&dchild=1&keywords=223+cleaning+kit+with+oil+and+cleaner&qid=1604962996&sprefix=.223+cleaning+ki%2Caps%2C274&sr=8-45

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rifle-Build-Cleaner-22-223/dp/B017VJOYJU/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&hvadid=78683851854143&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=ar+cleaning+kit&qid=1604962493&sr=8-25&tag=mh0b-20

There are a bazillion videos on disassembly/cleaning, so just watch a few and you'll see common themes:

• Thanks 1

I always field strip and clean a new gun before shooting. As I have gotten older I also break in new rifle barrels. I can think of no valid reason to not break in a new barrel. Breaking in a new barrel supposedly promotes more accuracy by essentially lapping the rough edges of rifling. I just bought a Steyr Scout rifle on Friday and will be breaking in the barrel.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FunGun said:

It is a 9mm "Other" Firearm, so it isn't a pistol.  It has a 10.5" barrel.  Wondering if the Aluminum Rod would be long enough... 

Would it be a good idea to get this other cleaner that you suggested in addition to the kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rifle-Build-Cleaner-22-223/dp/B017VJD4A0/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&hvadid=78683851854143&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=ar%2Bcleaning%2Bkit&qid=1604962493&sr=8-25&tag=mh0b-20&th=1

IMG_0841.JPG

Ahh, I missed the part about ti being pistol caliber!

No, I don't think the cleaning rod would be long enough in the pistol kit, so your best bet is a multi-kit.  They're a little more than the single kits, but you'll be able to use them with any gun you buy (https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-62108-Hunting-Cleaning-Supplies/dp/B07NBXQG79/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=gun+cleaning+kit+with+oil+and+cleaner&qid=1604972497&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQVpRMjZPMU9QNVYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzM4NjIyMk9KMkZHRUxQOEZJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMjI3MzRDTkpQMDBLM1hYWDEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl)

And yes, I'm a fan of the bore snakes, so I'd pick one up.  It's a stupidly easy thing to quickly run the snake down the barrel after you shoot, so in the event of "oops I forgot to do a full strip/clean" you know the barrel isn't building up gunk/lead/etc...

• Thanks 1

I got caught up with all the cleaning kits when I first started out. Now I just used the Hoppes Boresnakes for quick clean and lube. it's compact and caliber specific. There'a bunch of other copy cats out there but Hoppes is the orginal one. 

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=hoppes+bore+snake+viper&crid=23M6UXSIJALJO&sprefix=hoppes+bore%2Caps%2C183&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_10_11

The full cleaning kit still has a purpose but to quickly clean and lube this is the best in my opinion.

You decide....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My1stGlock said:

I got caught up with all the cleaning kits when I first started out. Now I just used the Hoppes Boresnakes for quick clean and lube. it's compact and caliber specific. There'a bunch of other copy cats out there but Hoppes is the orginal one. 

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=hoppes+bore+snake+viper&crid=23M6UXSIJALJO&sprefix=hoppes+bore%2Caps%2C183&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_10_11

The full cleaning kit still has a purpose but to quickly clean and lube this is the best in my opinion.

You decide....

I buy a kit everytime I see a good deal.  it's a problem...lol

on the flip side, I don't run out of or can't get anything that not in arms reach...lol

25 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I buy a kit everytime I see a good deal.  it's a problem...lol

on the flip side, I don't run out of or can't get anything that not in arms reach...lol

i need to get the other rifles and handguns in the other calibers so I can get the most outta all that cleaning kit!! :lol:

I definitely love the bore snakes! I just went out and got a cheap ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight.....I think I like it! I also got a cheap air compressor to help dry parts once it comes out of the tank. I had some grit and gunk in the trigger group of my favorite shotgun. Tossed the whole thing in the tank and ran it for a cycle. Came out looking brand new! A quick and light lube and I'm all done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1