CMJeepster

Happy birthday United States Marine Corps!

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Hey Tex, don't knock the Coasties.

Many Soldiers and Marines hit the beach in Sicily, Anzio, Salerno, Normandy, and other places with Coasties driving those LCVPs.  A friend of mine's father was a coasty and in WW2 flew as a radioman in a Navy PBY hunting Uboats.

Coasties in Vietnam were based on Cong Son Island...along with the South Vietnamese POW camp for NVA and VC.

Coasties basically do the same job (along with a lot of others) in peacetime as they do in wartime.

While the Navy does a great job at Search and Rescue (SAR).  Coasties are the best at it.  A lot of pilots in Vietnam are alive because Coasties pulled them out of the drink.  That's Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Army.  Pilots knew if they were hit and can make the ocean, Coasties will find you.

I did a lot of work with the Coast Guard.  It was always clear to me that no matter what mission they were on, if they got a SAR mission everything got dropped for that.

I know the guy who was the coxswain on the cutter in "A Perfect Storm".  Given my choice of being on that cutter or getting shot at, I'd take my chances getting shot at.

Everyone has a niche.

I’m not really. Simply some inter service rivalry fun. I have the utmost respect for what they do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I hope RayRay doesn't  see this post!  

I had to use a Simpson 260 in Beep, what about you?

download.jpg

Oh hell, I’m not that old. We had Fluke meters. Our oscilloscope was a fossil though...I think it was from WWII