RipDiscovers

New here, wanted help in understanding NJ gun ownership

Hi! So I'm completely new here. I've wanted a gun for a long time, as I've been a member of the NRA for more than a decade. The process of getting a gun in new Jersey has me worried, and I don't have a lot of money. I needed good people in my state who could help me understand gun laws, what I can buy and what I can't. I care a lot about the 2nd amendment, but I don't want to break any new Jersey laws, so I came here. I'm very glad I found this forum.

If there is any particular sub-forum that I should go to to ask about buying a new gun in a store or an FFL holder? I haven't applied to the police for a gun registration yet, because I think I must have some intention of buying it first, but I don't know much about it. This whole process bothers me and I was just so worried to fill out forms and put the wrong thing in, only to get sidelined for a while.

Thank you, and I hope it's good!

• Like 1

Welcome!

The first thing you will need is a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID card (FID).  This will allow you to purchase long guns and handgun ammo in the state of NJ.  You do not need any "intention of buying it first".

If you are interested in buying a handgun, you will need a NJ Permit to Purchase a handgun (P2P).  You must present this when making the purchase and once issued it is only valid for 90 days (it may be extended one time for an additional 90 days).  Note that you do not need a IFD to purchase a handgun, just the P2P,  but you will need the FID to purchase handgun ammo.

• Thanks 1

Start here: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/fars.shtml

You do not need to know what you want to buy before you start the process of obtaining your FID or Pistol Purchase Permit. I have a friend from work that has had his FID for well over a decade and never purchased a firearm yet.

A FFL is not going to sell you something you cannot legally own.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RipDiscovers said:

I haven't applied to the police for a gun registration yet, This whole process bothers me and I was just so worried to fill out forms and put the wrong thing in, only to get sidelined for a while.

Be sure your record is clean before applying. Any convictions no matter how old or trivial will show up on the background check. Same goes for the mental health questions. 

BTW you would be applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (and if you choose a Handgun Purchase Permit). Although not considered gun registration per se in N.J. thats what it amounts to, particularly with regard to handguns.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bomber said:

Be sure your record is clean before applying. Any convictions no matter how old or trivial will show up on the background check. Same goes for the mental health questions. 

BTW you would be applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (and if you choose a Handgun Purchase Permit). Although not considered gun registration per se in N.J. thats what it amounts to, particularly with regard to handguns. 

Thank you. How does one find out?

Think, for a start, about any interaction with the police that involved a violent act on your part.  Domestic disturbance etc.  Then think about any convictions.  The check is really to make sure that you haven't been convicted of any felonies (called "indictable offenses" in NJ) or domestic violence related charges.  The same goes for the mental health questions.  Have you ever been committed to a psychiatric hospital or ward?  That kind of stuff.  

In the end, fill the form out to the best of your ability.  They will either issue the card, or not.  If not, you aren't in any trouble unless you LIED ON THE FORM.  Back around 2008 or so, it took me about five months to get my NJFID in Mount Laurel, NJ.  They were notoriously slow at the time.  Mine was slowed a little because I asked the father of a friend, a NJ State Trooper, if I could use him as a reference then he told the investigating officer that he didn't know me that well.  They let me amend the application to use a different reference.  

Yes . . . You could us a better image of your avatar.  The pixelation makes Mr. van Winkle's grey hair look like a checked cloth head covering.  I'm a chip off the ol' Nipper myself . . . 

I wasn't a member of the NRA before purchasing any guns but I had my NJFID for over ten years before I used it.  Don't worry about it.

It's not a complicated process or form.  Just go to the site, print it out and research your answers if you are not sure.  Don't worry about what you are going to buy.  I believe, if you intend to buy a handgun, you can request that permit at the same time.  For now, I suggest applying for two or three P2P permits.  Once you start shopping, you are likely to see more than one thing that you really like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howdy, and welcome to the forums. There are several sub forums here that will help square you away. Grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and have a read through them. 

In the mean time, know that real bbq isn’t cooked in a crockpot, real chili doesn’t have beans, and (I’m told), there isn’t any such thing as Taylor Ham. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome.  It's not that difficult and doesn't cost a lot of money (shouldnt's cost anything, but don't get me started) to get your Firearms ID Card and pistol permits.  Go to your local police department for the paperwork or some departments are now online.

In a nutshell you are going to need to submit information and also have need to have two non-family members to "vouch" for you by submitting paperwork or answering an email from the police department.  I haven't done it in a few years so not sure how the "new" online system works.

You'll need to make an appointment to get finger printed by a third party.  The police don't do it.  This is the most expensive part of the process.  I believe it's around $50.

When you are applying the Firearms ID Card is seperate from a pistol permit.  Generally you can apply for up to three permits at once.  But you can only use one every 30 days and only have 90 days generally to use them.  Each time you want to purchase a new pistol you have to fill out all the paperwork as if you have never done it before (minus getting re-fingerprinted).  

It's sounds more difficult than it is but it's not hard at all.  You just have to start the process. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 9:11 AM, JohnnyB said:

I think you just know! Ask yourself, was I ever arrested? How you answer that will give you a good idea!

Hopefully this isn't too much of a necro post. So, I had the police fine me a long time ago when I was young. I had no idea when. I called the police office where I'd had the fine (this was the answer to my question) and they had no record of it, so it must have been something that wasn't worth worrying about.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:32 AM, PK90 said:

I'm curious of why you paid for a membership in a pro-gun organization for 10 years and never owned a firearm?

I believe in the protection of several rights in the Constitution and I've always supported the right to bear arms by individuals. When I was younger I heard a lot of celebrities and politicians talk about guns. I knew they had no idea what they were talking about already due to how they had said video games have caused an increase in violence when every statistic indicates otherwise, and that they were misrepresenting some things about firearms that were easily researched. Mind you, I couldn't tell you the difference between 9mm and 5.56 at the time, except one is a "pistol round" and the other a "rifle round." The best I could have done was say that .50 cal is "big"

• Like 1

Although it's a bit late now, I've finally gotten everything done with my firearms permit. There was a hiccup in the process because one of my references gave me a wrong e-mail address, so the investigator couldn't get in touch with them.

I'm rather confused where to start in buying a gun. I've had experience and training with my uncle and grandfather when I was younger. I was taught to always treat a gun like it's loaded (don't point it at people you're not intending to harm) and I'm aware of some of the basic things in New Jersey (gun in separate parts of car in containers, keep a gun in the safe away from ammo in NJ, etc.). Where would I ask on this forum to get information on firearms? I wanted to get two guns for deer hunting, in particular. I wanted to see if I could get a Mauser 98 model style rifle in a common hunting caliber and a semiautomatic hunting rifle in 223. However, I'm really worried about getting ripped off or buying something bad and I have no idea where to start, and due to Covid most of my family is disinclined to meet up about this kind of stuff.

10 hours ago, RipDiscovers said:

I wanted to get two guns for deer hunting, in particular. I wanted to see if I could get a Mauser 98 model style rifle in a common hunting caliber and a semiautomatic hunting rifle in 223. However, I'm really worried about getting ripped off or buying something bad and I have no idea where to start,

There are sections on the forum where you can post specific questions on rifles (or handguns or...).  I’m sure others may try to answer in this thread as well.  

At a high level it comes down to doing your research online to figure out what you want and what it may cost.  This forum is a good resource but there are others (Reddit, etc).   Once you figure out what you want then see if one of your local FFL has, or can get, it.  If not you can purchase online and shipped to your FFL where you’ll pay a transfer fee and they’ll run the background check.   Since you want rifles the FID is the only thing you need ahead of time. No p2p needed.  

If you do a little research you will quickly discover what type of rifle will fit your needs, YouTube is a great resource for reviews on many rifles and hand guns. If it’s a lemon of a rifle the reviews will be on there. Many gun ranges will rent firearms, take advantage of it and go shoot the rifle you are looking at buying, you do not need an FID card to rent, you will have to fill out a few forms and present a driver license though, you will also need to go with a second person, you can’t rent a firearm alone. It’s a bit pricey to rent but what other option do you have if a friend doesn’t have the firearm you are looking at. Good luck in your search, and ask many questions.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, voyager9 said:

[...] your local FFL has [...]

I'm not looking for anything crazy. I just want to understand - by FFL, you mean, Federal Firearms License holders, e.g., gun stores?

7 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

Many gun ranges will rent firearms, [...] you will also need to go with a second person [...]

Thank you for reminding me to try out one of the guns I'm interested in! I almost forgot about that.

21 hours ago, RipDiscovers said:

Although it's a bit late now, I've finally gotten everything done with my firearms permit. There was a hiccup in the process because one of my references gave me a wrong e-mail address, so the investigator couldn't get in touch with them.

I'm rather confused where to start in buying a gun. I've had experience and training with my uncle and grandfather when I was younger. I was taught to always treat a gun like it's loaded (don't point it at people you're not intending to harm) and I'm aware of some of the basic things in New Jersey (gun in separate parts of car in containers, keep a gun in the safe away from ammo in NJ, etc.). Where would I ask on this forum to get information on firearms? I wanted to get two guns for deer hunting, in particular. I wanted to see if I could get a Mauser 98 model style rifle in a common hunting caliber and a semiautomatic hunting rifle in 223. However, I'm really worried about getting ripped off or buying something bad and I have no idea where to start, and due to Covid most of my family is disinclined to meet up about this kind of stuff.

You cant hunt with rifles in NJ unless they are muzzle loaders...  98 mauser? Hunting in NJ nope...  223, deer?  Cmon not even realistic to think abt it...

Due you plan on hunting coyote?  I would say that a bolt gun would serve you better...your limited as i recall to 3 rounds...

If you are truly interested in guns for hunting look to shotguns in this state...but note you get 1 week for deer with shotgun...  muzzle.loader is a much longer seasons.

13 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

You cant hunt with rifles in NJ unless they are muzzle loaders...  98 mauser? Hunting in NJ nope...  223, deer?  Cmon not even realistic to think abt it...

Due you plan on hunting coyote?  I would say that a bolt gun would serve you better...your limited as i recall to 3 rounds...

If you are truly interested in guns for hunting look to shotguns in this state...but note you get 1 week for deer with shotgun...  muzzle.loader is a much longer seasons.

DEER Hunting in NJ. Rifle: Muzzle Loader Not less than 44 cal rifle. smooth bore Muzzle Loader not smaller that 20ga. not larger that 10ga.

SMALL GAME in NJ. IE: Coyote or Fox: Centerfire rifles: from .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

.223 cal semi auto Rifle is perfectly legal in NJ to hunt Coyote Or Fox

I use a Ruger American .243 Winchester with a vortex scope.

Rifle Hunting is allowed 30 mins before sun up to 30 mins after sundown.

Shotgun allowed Day or Night.

Predator calls Manual or Electronic "is  required"

The Season is called "special permit season" which runs from January to March

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Oh, wow. I was not even aware of that. This stuff blows my mind. However, I was mostly interested in hunting out-of-state. I don't know much, but I've been talking with a relative about a lot of it. And for a hunting caliber for the bolt-action rifle, I was thinking 30-06 or 308

8 minutes ago, Bagarocks said:

[...] .223 cal semi auto Rifle is perfectly legal in NJ to hunt Coyote Or Fox [...]

That's useful to know. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Bagarocks said:

DEER Hunting in NJ. Rifle: Muzzle Loader Not less than 44 cal rifle. smooth bore Muzzle Loader not smaller that 20ga. not larger that 10ga.

SMALL GAME in NJ. IE: Coyote or Fox: Centerfire rifles: from .17 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

.223 cal semi auto Rifle is perfectly legal in NJ to hunt Coyote Or Fox

I use a Ruger American .243 Winchester with a vortex scope.

Rifle Hunting is allowed 30 mins before sun up to 30 mins after sundown.

Shotgun allowed Day or Night.

Predator calls Manual or Electronic "is  required"

The Season is called "special permit season" which runs from January to March

Did u read the ops original post....?

8 hours ago, RipDiscovers said:

Oh, wow. I was not even aware of that. This stuff blows my mind. However, I was mostly interested in hunting out-of-state. I don't know much, but I've been talking with a relative about a lot of it. And for a hunting caliber for the bolt-action rifle, I was thinking 30-06 or 308

That's useful to know. Thank you.

Ok