EdF

Air Pistol -NOT Airsoft

The firearm you describe is no different, in the eyes of NJ law, than a .44 magnum

Check your local ordinances to see if there is a prohibition in your municipality on the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the municipality.

If no prohibition, then be safe and make a safe range with an adequate backstop.

If there is a local prohibition, you're screwed. Do it in the house if you choose to violate the law. And don't tell the neighbors. The Karen next door can't wait to file a complaint and put you through the wringer.

19 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

The firearm you describe is no different, in the eyes of NJ law, than a .44 magnum

Check your local ordinances to see if there is a prohibition in your municipality on the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the municipality.

If no prohibition, then be safe and make a safe range with an adequate backstop.

If there is a local prohibition, you're screwed. Do it in the house if you choose to violate the law. And don't tell the neighbors. The Karen next door can't wait to file a complaint and put you through the wringer.

+1

Unfortunately in this sad excuse for a state, that .177 cal pellet gun is a "firearm".  

Do what you like and take measures for safety but I certainly wouldn't advertise it.

19 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

Air rifle and air pistol competition is a thing, from local club matches, college competitions, NRA sectionals right up through national championships, the World Cup, and the Olympics.

It is reasonable to assume that serious practitioners might spend hundreds of hours practicing safely inside their own homes, perhaps using a 'silent' pellet trap such as this one to eliminate the sound of pellets hitting a metal backstop.

Silent pellet trap

That's an interesting assumption and an interesting pellet trap . . . 

I don't have 30 feet inside the house . . . Unless I shoot from the living room, down the half flight of stairs and across the family room . . . 

Outside this would work well since the yard is fenced . . . I'd have to check with the township police about what they would do if a neighbor notified them.  

20 hours ago, EdF said:

Can I use an air pistol (.177 or .22) to shoot targets in my back yard?  

I’m only on .25 acres in a suburban neighborhood. Just looking for some practice. 

Probably not - depends on town discharge ordinances - and that space is a bit small and it does depend on your neighbors.

*REMEMBER* - an air gun in NJ is a *gun* - best make sure you have 'paperwork' for it...meaning FID and or pistol purchaser paperwork - just in case

Here is my 'range' - 

16052083437627149056884204795098.jpg

16052083201292928164330053981795.jpg

19 minutes ago, EdF said:

That's an interesting assumption and an interesting pellet trap . . . 

I don't have 30 feet inside the house . . . Unless I shoot from the living room, down the half flight of stairs and across the family room . . . 

Outside this would work well since the yard is fenced . . . I'd have to check with the township police about what they would do if a neighbor notified them.  

I'd recommend checking to see what information your town has online before engaging the police department in that kind of conversation...

33 minutes ago, Amazon said:

If I understand correctly, you still need to have the firearm legally purchased, which is impossible in NJ without having FID or handgun paperwork. 

If the gun was obtained legally while you were a resident of another state, and assuming it is legal within the state of NJ, it is perfectly legal to move to NJ and bring the gun along, in which case you will not have an FID (though you may elect to get one after the move), nor will there exist a NJ permit to purchase, if the gun in question is a handgun.  

Also, if memory serves, if you are willed firearms (and I believe they have to be listed individually in the will), you can inherit firearms in NJ, without having an FID or obtaining a permit to purchase for handguns.

1 minute ago, Amazon said:

How this applies to air pistols purchased from another state, where air guns are not firearms and you can legally purchase them without a proof of residence? 

Simple - you acquired the pistol legally in another state.  You transported it legally to NJ and now possess it legally in NJ.  The fact that it “magically” transformed into a regulated firearm when you crossed the NJ border doesn’t change anything.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Yes . . . There are plenty of states where air rifles and pistols are not considered "firearms" . . . I guess that's because there is no "fire" involved . . . In those states, you can pick them up off the shelf at Walmart, put them in your cart and go through the checkout lane (I'm not even sure that you need to show a licence but I would assume that you do since there IS still a minimum purchase age.)

You can then move to NJ and you do not need an FID or completed pistol permit.  Registration is even optional.

In fact, you can move to PA and get a driver's license, buy a .44 Mag or an AR (with a waiting period and background check) then move to NJ and you STILL don't need any paperwork as long as the guns meet NJ legal standards.

1 hour ago, EdF said:

Yes . . . There are plenty of states where air rifles and pistols are not considered "firearms" . . . I guess that's because there is no "fire" involved . . . In those states, you can pick them up off the shelf at Walmart, put them in your cart and go through the checkout lane (I'm not even sure that you need to show a licence but I would assume that you do since there IS still a minimum purchase age.)

One potential gotcha...a number of air rifles have internal suppressors (they'll be advertised as such).  Those are legal in most states, because obviously they aren't suppressed firearms.  

But, because NJ pretends air rifles are firearms, they'll also pretend suppressed air rifles are suppressed firearms, which are bad news here.

The fundamental problem is that the prosecutors and judges are allowed to play in a make-believe fantasyland of their own creation, while the rest of us have to live in the real world and suffer the consequences.

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Neither a FID or an executed pistol purchase permit are required to legally possess a pistol in NJ.

40 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Simple - you acquired the pistol legally in another state.  You transported it legally to NJ and now possess it legally in NJ.  The fact that it “magically” transformed into a regulated firearm when you crossed the NJ border doesn’t change anything.

It is not that simple - IMO.

And we do not want to make up laws as we go - the quagmire is thick as it is.

There is a thing whereby as a RESIDENT of another state - you legally purchased a handgun own it and moved to NJ - Now as a resident of NJ you can LEGALLY without NJ PPP, can own the firearm.

You can also be WILLED a handgun and not have the PPP in your name for it etc.

That being said, I CANNOT as a resident of NJ - go to another state and buy a handgun (to the best of my knowledge) on my DL and transport it into NJ and claim I purchased it legally.

Extrapolating this to BP pistols, or AIR pistols, while they are legal to purchase in other states etc. for me - if I as a resident of NJ for many years, would not have a brandy new air pistol/rifle that I do not have 'paperwork on' frankly - for me - I would not take that chance in NJ.

Now, I do have an OLD 1970 Crossman Air Rifle that as a resident of NY, way back when, purchased and have the bill of sale for.  That is kept in the file with all the other paperwork showing it was not purchased recently and moved into state.

OK . . . Nobody here has been talking about buying ANYTHING illegally . . . 

There are ways that you can own a handgun, let's just forget the air gun part because it doesn't matter, in NJ without the paperwork.

There are . . . Sorry if you don't get it . . . Can we stop now?

On 11/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, EdF said:

You can then move to NJ and you do not need an FID or completed pistol permit.  Registration is even optional.

In fact, you can move to PA and get a driver's license, buy a .44 Mag or an AR (with a waiting period and background check) then move to NJ and you STILL don't need any paperwork as long as the guns meet NJ legal standards.

Interesting...So im clear. If i bought a BB gun in say, Illinois or California when i lived there, and brought them back here to NJ (i have an FID card here), these BB guns (1 pistol 1 rifle), are now LEGAL and i do not need to get a permit to register them? I'm "legit"?

Yes . . . If the gun was legally purchased, is otherwise legal in NJ and you are not otherwise legally barred from owning it, you don't need an FID and you don't need to register.

At least for now . . . I supposed that they CAN pass a law that would require you to register the guns.

38 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Interesting...So im clear. If i bought a BB gun in say, Illinois or California when i lived there, and brought them back here to NJ (i have an FID card here), these BB guns (1 pistol 1 rifle), are now LEGAL and i do not need to get a permit to register them? I'm "legit"?

Correct.  Also applies to black powder/muzzle loading pistols.  Also, NJ FID card not required for legal possession in NJ.

On 11/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, njJoniGuy said:

adding on to this, on the note of the neighborhood "karen", even if discharge is legal in your town.....bear in mind most police don't know the law, and you will more than likely meet the entire on-duty police force thanks to that neighborhood karen.

follow johnnyb suggestion. do in the house. if you've got a full basement, set up your backstop down there. if you've got old soft body armor, that makes a good backstop i'm told.

Circle back (hahaha red head Jen) back to the reality of enjoying an air gun in the yard: I asked the Brick PD and he politely told me it's not a good idea. "Responding officer would not know it's an air gun". I appreciated the way he came across and took down my targets. Too bad, tapping Coors cans hanging from trees from the deck sure was fun for a day. And they were 12 oz, not 16.

9 minutes ago, rifleman said:

I asked the Brick PD and he politely told me it's not a good idea. "Responding officer would not know it's an air gun".

When I was a kid, we shot an air pistol in the back yard all the time.  Not once did a cop ever show up.  If one did, they'd have known us and we them.  There were like five cops in my town and we all knew each other.  We also knew all of our neighbors.

Would the Brick PD have a problem with differentiating between an airsoft gun and a real gun.  That's a bogus argument.  Oh, but it's dangerous.  How about backyard archery?  It's stupid one can practice with a very deadly compound or cross bow, far more lethal than a pellet gun, yet, there is this prohibition on having fun with a mother fuck'n daisy red rider bb gun.

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

it's not a bogus argument.

It certainly is a bogus argument, and you are are only proving my point.  Based on the advice of the cop, it's only dangerous because a cop could confuse it with an actual firearm.  If cops are blowing away people because they are shooting airsoft or bb guns in their back yards, we have a problem.  Since I'm not reading article after article of cops slaying airsoft wielding homeowners, I guess cops can tell the difference.  Yes, there have been a couple instances where someone with a pellet gun got themselves popped, but they were playing stupid games and won a stupid prize, the grand prize of stupid.

• Like 2