Underdog

ROKU Considerations

Think I am going to get a ROKU to test it out.  Any thoughts on which model and/or what to look for?  Will the cheapest work?  Different Remotes...

Get the Ultra, especially if you can find them on sale. Well worth in my opinion as it has decent voice command, comes with headphones and streaming is steady. The Premier or Stick is ok for spare bedrooms etc. I have Xfinity and they app streams well on all Rokus without the need to pay for cable boxes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have the Roku 3’s and the units are good but one of the remotes took a shit so had to buy a cheap replacement on ebay. The original Roku 3 remote(s) have the earphone jack that connects though the Wi-Fi but the cheap ebay replacements do not the earphone port.

the Roku 3’s now the old model works good, we dumped cable TV in July and did the cord cutter approach. Just a heads-up when you get the Roku you have to create any account with them as well as any streaming service you subscribe to. Roku wanted my CC number but I was able to get around it somehow. That a few years ago I don’t know what the process is now since its been a while since we upgraded  our Roku gear.

• Thanks 1

we use the firesticks and could not be happier!  I think they are all pretty much the same otherwise someone tell me as I'm always open but feel much better having cut the cord!

Do have Hulu but getting rid of it due to it's progressive over the top liberal programming.  Need to find another one that has YES and B10 network

• Thanks 1

I have a mix of AppleTV, Amazon Firestick, and Roku(embedded with TV). 

The AppleTV is good from an integration with the rest of Apple devices and Ecosystem but the touch remote is kind of a pain when interacting with TV Guide GUIs. Too much awkward scrolling. 

The roku and Firesticks are probably equivalent from a video streaming perspective. Both support 4K. Their remotes are more traditional “buttons” so a little easier to use to manipulate a guide.  They’re also much cheaper than AppleTV. Firesticks integrate with Alexa if that is your thing. 

• Thanks 1

So, if you have a smart TV do you still need ROKU or another streaming device?  I have an older Amazon stick, somewhere.  All I really want is Newsmax and maybe OANN.  I have cancelled Netshit.  I hate using Amazon because of politics and a monopoly but may continue with Prime membership for free shipping.  I can watch Tucker on Youtube and I can watch Newsmax, etc.  Not sure if I really need a ROKU and what channels would be available.   I do like the classic shows as mentioned in another thread.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

So, if you have a smart TV do you still need ROKU or another streaming device?  I have an older Amazon stick, somewhere.  All I really want is Newsmax and maybe OANN.  I have cancelled Netshit.  I hate using Amazon because of politics and a monopoly but may continue with Prime membership for free shipping.  I can watch Tucker on Youtube and I can watch Newsmax, etc.  Not sure if I really need a ROKU and what channels would be available.   I do like the classic shows as mentioned in another thread.  

Depends on the “smart TV” and whether it supports the applications or streams you want.  Mine, for example, used roku software so it is the same as a stick. I’ve seen other TV’s with half-assed support and usability or very sluggish interfaces. Might be worth a separate stick for those. 

• Thanks 1

I have 2 Roku premiers and a Sony that has built in Android TV. Both have pros and cons. Some apps but not many are not available on Roku but are available on Android TV and vice versa. This is always changing the latest being Peacock. First available on Android TV but not Roku but I think now it is available on both platforms. 

The picture quality is better on the Android TV apps but that could be related to the Roku Premier not being the Ulta model.

Apps appear different and have different features between the platforms. I prefer the Youtube app on Android TV over the Roku youtube app.

The thing is you don't know what you like till you get the device. At least the Roku's are inexpensive.

• Thanks 1

@Underdog It depends on how old your "smart" TV is. 

If you are able to download apps, and it sounds like you can as you have Youtube, you may not need to buy a Roku.  Try downloading some other free apps (Roku app, Pluto TV, Crackle, etc) and see if you can download them and watch them.

My limited understanding of "smart" tvs is the software that comes with them eventually gets outdated / isn't as updatable as having a stand alone unit.  Maybe that's changed more recently?

If you do want to purchase a Roku you may want to wait until Black Friday and see if you can pick up a Roku Ultra.  We started out with two of the Roku Express units but upgraded our living room unit after about 1.5 years to the Ultra.  It was on sale for 50% off.  I like the Ultra for the simple facts that you can control your TV power and volum with the Roku Ultra remote and the interface is faster and smoother.  If we can pick another one up at 50% off we wouldn't hesitate to.

Do you want HBO MAX? Because it's not on roku. Their workaround for that bullshit between ATT&T and roku is to add airplay2 support to stream form your phone to roku. 

that needs a supported model. Which are:

Roku Ultra (4800x, 4670x, 4661x, 4662x, 4660x, 4640x); Roku Premiere (4630x, 4620x, 3920x); Roku Streaming Stick Plus (3811x, 3810x); Roku Streambar (9102x); and Roku Smart Soundbar (9101x, 9100x).

I've got an ultra and I like it. You also want to get a 4600x2 or newer model because the original ultras were prone to overheating. 

50 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Do you want HBO MAX? Because it's not on roku. Their workaround for that bullshit between ATT&T and roku is to add airplay2 support to stream form your phone to roku. 

that needs a supported model. Which are:

Roku Ultra (4800x, 4670x, 4661x, 4662x, 4660x, 4640x); Roku Premiere (4630x, 4620x, 3920x); Roku Streaming Stick Plus (3811x, 3810x); Roku Streambar (9102x); and Roku Smart Soundbar (9101x, 9100x).

I've got an ultra and I like it. You also want to get a 4600x2 or newer model because the original ultras were prone to overheating. 

This is exactly why I feel that the Fire Stick is the hands down winner.  Yes you have to deal with the ridiculous amount of advertisement at times.  Some have advertisements on the screen saver.  Some only on the home screen.  But since HBO Max refuses to work with Roku and Fire Stick owners you're screwed. 

That is unless you know how to side load on the Fire Stick.  I have HBO Max installed on all of my Fire Sticks and Fire TV.  We have 2 TV's that use Roku, so we have no HBO.  Also with side loading comes Kodi.  If you are the least bit techno savvy, I strongly recommend this route. 

• Agree 1

Roku pushed any a firmware update to our two Roku3's early this morning. The firmware update disabled my R3's ability to turn off/on my TV. Then my wife's remote control became un-paired from her Roku unit. Had it not been for my wife's remote becoming disabled I would have not thought to look at the firmware date. 

After I rebooted my wife's Roku I was able to pair her remote back to her Roku. I then I rebooted my Roku and now I'm able to turn the TV off/on with the Roku. We had these boxes for a few years an today was the first firmware upgrade that had a negative impact on both boxes. So if anyone is seeing issues with their Roku check the firmware date.

4 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Good article.  I'd read enough about TCL vulnerabilities previously, that TCL TVs joined Alexa speakers and Ring doorbells on the list of things I will never allow in my home.