dilbert1967

Gunsmith familiar with lever guns

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that knows their way around a lever gun?  The gun is a Rossi .357.  I want to ship it to the Rossi facility in Bainsbridge, GA but, on three different occasions, I've spent 30 minutes or more on the phone waiting to talk to someone regarding the procedure to ship it back for repair.  The issue is when cycling the action, rounds 3 and 4 come out of the tube together and are laying the carrier.  And, of course, neither will feed into the breech.  This happens again with rounds 6 and 7.  I thought it might be the cartridge stop but that seems ok.  Spring is working fine.  I gave the gun a thorough cleaning but same result.

Any ideas?

I'm in south Jersey.

Try different ammo.

I have a Henry .357 and when shooting 38 special PMC or Blazer ammo it caused problems. When cycling after a shot it would sometimes jam and I had to rattle it around to load it. When loading I would put 5 rounds in the tube then when I pushed down on the rod it would cause the lever to actually open!

I switched to Speer and Remington ammo and never had an issue again.

I have an old Marlin 1894 in .357 that works great with .357, but will jam up at times with 38spl. This is a first or second year production gun that does not have 38spl stamped on it, only 357 magnum. Does your problem occur with 357 and 38spl?

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 1:28 PM, dilbert1967 said:

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that knows their way around a lever gun?  The gun is a Rossi .357.  I want to ship it to the Rossi facility in Bainsbridge, GA but, on three different occasions, I've spent 30 minutes or more on the phone waiting to talk to someone regarding the procedure to ship it back for repair.  The issue is when cycling the action, rounds 3 and 4 come out of the tube together and are laying the carrier.  And, of course, neither will feed into the breech.  This happens again with rounds 6 and 7.  I thought it might be the cartridge stop but that seems ok.  Spring is working fine.  I gave the gun a thorough cleaning but same result.

Any ideas?

I'm in south Jersey.

17 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have an old Marlin 1894 in .357 that works great with .357, but will jam up at times with 38spl. This is a first or second year production gun that does not have 38spl stamped on it, only 357 magnum. Does your problem occur with 357 and 38spl?

What @JC_68Westy has stated - while the cartridge stop might seem fine - it may be ammo dependent.  

What ammo are you using....?

This seems to be an occasional problem with both the .357 and the 44 rifles when feeding the smaller cases of .38 and .44 special  Here is a link to a discussion on it. https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/new-1984c-357-mags-feed-fine-38-specials-jam.17497/#post-181299

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

What @JC_68Westy has stated - while the cartridge stop might seem fine - it may be ammo dependent.  

What ammo are you using....?

A little bit of a back story.  When I bought the gun, I brought it home and tested it using .38 Special snap caps.  The gun cycled flawlessly several dozen times but the action was very stiff.  While doing that, I noticed that the interior of the receiver was covered with metal shavings left over from the machining process.  I saw a video on YouTube on the disassembly and assembly of the rifle.  I took it apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it.  The action is much smoother now.  Unfortunately, that's when I started having problems.  The barrel is stamped ".38 Special/.357 Magnum" so it should feed both.

The gun has never been fired.

3 hours ago, Blueskybob said:

This seems to be an occasional problem with both the .357 and the 44 rifles when feeding the smaller cases of .38 and .44 special  Here is a link to a discussion on it. https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/new-1984c-357-mags-feed-fine-38-specials-jam.17497/#post-181299

The thread mentions a timing issue.  A professional would be able to tell me for sure.  A check of the different Rossi forums addresses my particular issue, however, I can eliminate all of the solutions offered.  Fixing a timing problem is way beyond my skill level.

Thanks for the suggestions!