WillieBeamen

Flash suppressor legality

I've read through numerous threads on here and other sites to try to find a definitive answer on this.  The more i read, the more unsure I am about anything.  Sorry if this has already been answered, but I just haven't found it. I moved to NJ from a free state.  I own a ruger mini 14 tactical version, so it has a threaded barrel with a flash suppressor.  This would be the only "evil feature" on the gun.  I believe the law states "A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor" as ONE banned feature.  Very poorly worded obviously, as it could be taken as 2.  I realize the safe thing to do would be to pin and weld the f.s., or just remove it and put a thread protector on and never worry about it being a problem.  But I'd like to keep it as is, if possible and legal.  Is it?  I would like to take it to a range in the near future, but don't want to catch any flak under inspection.  I want to do the right thing here, I just don't know what that is.  And it doesn't seem many others do either.

Thanks, didn't come across this thread.  However, it doesn't really answer my scenario as I have a flash suppressor AND a threaded muzzle.  I guess the way the law is written leaves this open to interpretation.  I suppose the way the law is written a threaded barrel AND a muzzle brake would be totally legal?

1 hour ago, WillieBeamen said:

I've read through numerous threads on here and other sites to try to find a definitive answer on this.  The more i read, the more unsure I am about anything.  Sorry if this has already been answered, but I just haven't found it. I moved to NJ from a free state.  I own a ruger mini 14 tactical version, so it has a threaded barrel with a flash suppressor.  This would be the only "evil feature" on the gun.  I believe the law states "A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor" as ONE banned feature.  Very poorly worded obviously, as it could be taken as 2.  I realize the safe thing to do would be to pin and weld the f.s., or just remove it and put a thread protector on and never worry about it being a problem.  But I'd like to keep it as is, if possible and legal.  Is it?  I would like to take it to a range in the near future, but don't want to catch any flak under inspection.  I want to do the right thing here, I just don't know what that is.  And it doesn't seem many others do either.

You need to put a compensator on it and have it pinned and welded - this is NJ don't screw around they will jam you up if you want.

This is *NOT AMERICA* within this states borders

YMMV

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

My recommendation if you're uncertain - unscrew the flash suppressor, screw on a muzzle brake.  Don't pin or weld.  Now you have "only" a threaded barrel.

Yes.  This would seem perfectly legal to me.  Threaded barrel would be my one allowed feature. I'm not familiar with the legal pinning process, but I imagine the pin would have to go through the threads...ruining my barrel for future law changes (banning muzzle brakes or loosening of laws if this state ever got a republican governor again.) Even if i just put a thread protector on, I really dont want to mess up the threads for down the road.

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You need to put a compensator on it and have it pinned and welded - this is NJ don't screw around they will jam you up if you want.

This is *NOT AMERICA* within this states borders

Does anyone know of somebody who has got "jammed up" for having a suppressor instead of a comp?

Anyone?

How about getting "jammed up" for +10 round mags? It's been two years since the law was passed, I'm sure there has been +10 rounders that have gone to the ranges in this time frame.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

No pistol grip on his rifle.  He gets to have two evil features - removable magazine, and threaded barrel.  NJ Legal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Does anyone know of somebody who has got "jammed up" for having a suppressor instead of a comp?

Anyone?

How about getting "jammed up" for +10 round mags? It's been two years since the law was passed, I'm sure there has been +10 rounders that have gone to the ranges in this time frame.

Not that I am aware of - care to be the test case?

See that is the thing - do you want to go through the BS and financial burden in the above scenario?

Everyone has a threshold for legal rick tolerances - some tolerances are higher than others, me not so much.

Others maybe higher and if so good for them !  Maybe if they get pinched they can beat the rap and get the law changed for all of us !  :)

See, that is the thing, it might not have happened, it may never happen - but if it does, do you want to be that one?

If so, go to the range, have your 30 rounder, grab the un-neutered AR and roll the dice, see what happens...  :popcorn:

38 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

No pistol grip on his rifle.  He gets to have two evil features - removable magazine, and threaded barrel.  NJ Legal.

Agreed - do you fell like fighting it ?  Like I said above, many do not know the laws, especially some that are tasked with enforcing it etc.

Then there are the overzealous DA's etc.

Flash hiders on semi's are a 'known' problem in this crappy state, - Do you have the time, money and inclination to argue the minutia with uneducated gun people that can and would like to jam you up to advance their career?  If so I applaud you !

It really is a silly law huh?  They could have made it much simpler by just banning all muzzle devices.  I mean they pass these laws in the middle of the night anyway right?  Are police officers trained to tell the difference between a flash hider and muzzle brake?  Are there people at the range that raise their nose to you if you have a pistol grip and an unpinned comp?  Either way, I'm the guy who plays it safe.  So I will most likely replace it with a brake, one with a small exit hole.  

• Like 1

I bought a mini 14 tactical that was shipped to a NJ FFL and sold to me.  i know that might not be the be all and end all if NJ wants to be ridiculous, but i legally purchased this as a NJ compliant rifle.  And it has ONE"evil" feature -- a flash supressor -- as far as I am concerned.  So perfectly legal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PDM said:

I bought a mini 14 tactical that was shipped to a NJ FFL and sold to me.  i know that might not be the be all and end all if NJ wants to be ridiculous, but i legally purchased this as a NJ compliant rifle.  And it has ONE"evil" feature -- a flash supressor -- as far as I am concerned.  So perfectly legal.

Nice. So if it came down to it at least you have the paperwork to show you legally bought it in the state.  Someone told me they saw a tactical version being sold in NY state (which i believe bans all muzzle devices and you are allowed 0 features) but they carved an X in the barrel and flash suppressor.  I guess so someone would know it had been removed?  Maybe FFL's are starting to call bluff on these unconstitutional laws.

You have ONE evil feature, #4. You are 100% legal.

A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PK90 said:

You have ONE evil feature, #4. You are 100% legal.

A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher

This.... #4 includes both a FS  or threaded barrel, having both still only counts as one feature. 

I'm surprised this conversation was concluded in one response.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

This.... #4 includes both a FS  or threaded barrel, having both still only counts as one feature. 

I'm surprised this conversation was concluded in one response.

Right, maybe. If they wrote “flash suppressor and/or threaded barrel” it would be 100% legal. But the way they worded it can be interpreted as only one is allowed. It seems like they worded all gun laws to intimidate people from owning guns or taking them out of their home. 

Not to hijack a concluded thread here but what's the consensus on so-called combo-devices?

Example:

Strike Industries King Comp with Dual Chamber Design - 223/556

The Strike Industries King-Comp features large dual chamber design, which was engineered to reduce felt recoil and help reduce the side concussion with the specifically angled gas ports. To top it off, the K-Comp features 4 serrated prongs provide some flash suppression. The K-Comp is a great alternative if you're looking for a cross between a compensator and a muzzle brake or effective "combo" muzzle device. If you are interested in a blast shield be sure to check out our combination product page with the FF-CRD offering for this device!

https://www.righttobear.com/strike-industries-dual-chamber-king-comp-p/si-kingcomp-2235.56.htm

The law has no definition. So all we have to go on is what people have said. Either lawyers or NJSP firearms unit people. 

Which leaves us with "was it sold as a flash suppressor" and "can you stick your finger in the end of it."  To which the answer is kind of, and it's debatable. That's not something I'd like to go to court with. It's also likely not a terribly effective comp, nor quieter, nor a good flash hider. 

Strike industries is pretty bad at making comps. Most of their muzzle devices are best described as cosmetic. Their most effective is their cookie cutter, and even that isn't great. 

HEre's a review of how it suppresses flash, which is basically it doesn't compared to an actual flash suppressor. 

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar-15-flash-hiding-test-2/

The lantac dragon has crenelations and is not sold as a flash hider, and you can't stick your finger in it, and it is a semi decent comp. 

2 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Willie its legal with the flash suppressor.   For those of you that have an m1a.  The mini 14 is the same thing.  And you have a flash suppressor on your m1a.  Not pinned and welded

Uhh.. if you have a flash suppressor on your m1a, it should be pinned. Your two evil features are the mag and the flash suppressor.  If you have a comp, no pinning, your two evil features are the mag and the threaded barrel. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:34 PM, Golf battery said:

If it has a detachable mag.  You can have one evil feature.   

The threaded barrel is that.

just like pk90 wrote. 

Even after all the great input by everyone I still have no idea if the flash suppressor and threaded barrel count as 1 or 2 evil features.  I have no doubt the people who wrote the law don't either.  I still know the safe move is swap it out for a clear as day brake or comp, but I really hate the idea of removing this thing.  Also, one thing the law actually does state clearly is for semi-auto rifles that take a detachable magazine you may have ONE "banned feature".  When people talk about the magazine being a banned feature in its own it really puts us all on different talking planes.

The pistol grip is the one evil feature, not the magazine.  Lose the grip like in the horrible pic below, and keep your flash suppressor! There is a brake that looks exactly like an A2 birdcage but the front is not wide open. The brake must be pinned or welded or you can pin or weld a thread protector and keep the pistol grip.

download.jpg