Vicious

PC Component Availability

So my wife has officially taken over my PC since she is working from home and I have been looking to build a new one. I was logged in to Newegg on 11/05 hitting refresh for 2 minutes leading up to the 9 am launch of the AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors. Long story short, by the time I got to the page for the 5900X it was sold out. As was every other 5000 series chip.

I am looking forward to the release of the 6000 Series GPUs in a few days, but I assume the bots will get those too.

I have never seen this much demand for components. Is this just a covid thing? Why is there so much demand for components when there are complete systems available?

AMD has been rolling out the best processors on the market the last year+. Im sure you could build an intel! lol But no, its not like people are building bitcoin rigs these days hogging all the good stuff. Those days are over thank God. 

Limited quantity teaser releases snapped up by bots/scalpers/enthusiasts do suck.

That said, I've stopped buying latest and greatest as soon as it comes out, and have saved serious money. As long as you are still buying high end stuff, it doesnt immediately become worthless the second the new stuff is available. I'm still running an i7-4790K and do not feel undergunned for most things I do.

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Limited quantity teaser releases snapped up by bots/scalpers/enthusiasts do suck.

That said, I've stopped buying latest and greatest as soon as it comes out, and have saved serious money. As long as you are still buying high end stuff, it doesnt immediately become worthless the second the new stuff is available. I'm still running an i7-4790K and do not feel undergunned for most things I do.

I have the same thought process. My last build was a i7 3770k just to show how long it lasted me. My current build is a 3900x that I am very happy with. I would clone it for myself, but that seems silly now that the 5900x is out.

I have long awaited AMD’s return ever since the release of the Intel Core Series.

5 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm currently running an i5-7400 and GTX 1060.

What's a "sweet spot" upgrade for CPU and GPU right now?  I'm not a hard core gamer, but I would like to get my rig to the point where I can try out VR stuff if I get a VR setup.

Geforce RTX 3070

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

I'm currently running an i5-7400 and GTX 1060.

What's a "sweet spot" upgrade for CPU and GPU right now?  I'm not a hard core gamer, but I would like to get my rig to the point where I can try out VR stuff if I get a VR setup.

With AMD crushing intel, I would say AMD Ryzen 7 5800x or above paired with a Radeon 6800 or above which should be released tomorrow.

The only issue is availability. The AMD chips and Nvidia cards are out of stock everywhere.

28 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Thanks for the recommendations; by "sweet spot", I mean "old stuff that has good performance at a significant discount to the new hotness".

As in, $250 GPU or under, not $500+.

I would suggest waiting until a the newest nvidia xx60 and xx50 cards are released. I dunno if there would be a gtx 1760 or whatever name will be to be the replacement of the 16xx series cards. And unless you are doing serious gaming on the newest AAA games, a 1060 will likely be sufficient for many things, especially at 1080p and below. I went from a 970 to a 2070 super early this year, and it allows me to play 4k60 games I wanna play at 60fps, while the 970 was playable but not ideal at 4k. 970 was similar performance to 1060.

If you absolutely have to upgrade now, a 1650/1660 or used 2060 might be options if you are ok with last generation cards. I almost went rtx 2060 super, but justified the cost increase for the 2070 super to myself.

If you go with an xx60 card you will be replacing it in a year, spend the little bit more for at least xx70 series. Or look for a used 1080-TI

You can also go for a 2k gaming monitor, will get 100fps in all titles on ultra with not much visual difference between 2k and 4k.  Otherwise you need a 3080, or just go with an etch-a-sketch. 

13 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

In the good old days, you could buy a 133 MHz celeron and overclock it to 350 MHz, couple that with a 2 meg video card and you were living large. 

Yes you could.  I think I still have a 386 SCSI server with Xenons up in the attic.  Maybe someday it will be worth something.

OK, since there are apparently are few hard-core gamers here, I need some advice. I am going for my pilot's license, and you can "fly" some of the lessons on MS Flight Simulator 2021.  I am running a laptop in a docking station with 2 monitors. The laptop is an ideapad FLEX 6, Intel i5-8250 @ 1.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 10.  I haven't purchased Flight Simulator yet, but am considering it. Will this machine have the "oomph" to run this, or am I just kidding myself?

On 11/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, DirtyDigz said:

Thanks for the recommendations; by "sweet spot", I mean "old stuff that has good performance at a significant discount to the new hotness".

If you're going to upgrade your GPU, you need to get into the RTX series.   I bought an RTX 2060 just to play Watch Dogs legion with Ray Tracing on.   It's been fine.   I'm running an I7-7700 with 32gb of ram and M.2 SSDs on the motherboard.   I think I saw under 60FPS once in the past few weeks I've been playing it.

2 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

OK, since there are apparently are few hard-core gamers here, I need some advice. I am going for my pilot's license, and you can "fly" some of the lessons on MS Flight Simulator 2021.  I am running a laptop in a docking station with 2 monitors. The laptop is an ideapad FLEX 6, Intel i5-8250 @ 1.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 10.  I haven't purchased Flight Simulator yet, but am considering it. Will this machine have the "oomph" to run this, or am I just kidding myself?

You're kidding yourself.  Your machine doesn't meet minimum specs on any of the key components.

You really need a desktop to properly play flight simulators because you can't get the same GPUs in a laptop.

4 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

In the good old days, you could buy a 133 MHz celeron and overclock it to 350 MHz, couple that with a 2 meg video card and you were living large. 

Wasn't it the 300A Celery that could OC to 450+?  And who the hell had a 2MB card by that point?  I'd been at a 32MB TNT2 Ultra since the Pentium II was top of the consumer market, before the Celery even came out.

3 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

My understanding for MS Flight Simulator 20 is it is extremely demanding, as has been mentioned.  While minimum specs sound like you might be covered IF your system had a discrete video card, it also sounds like the quality settings would be very low at low resolution, and you'd still get terrible, stuttering performance.  Short of maybe the top end hardware released in the last month or two, it would appear very few systems can really handle MSFS20 well at this point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/microsoft-flight-simulator-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

If you're going to upgrade your GPU, you need to get into the RTX series.   I bought an RTX 2060 just to play Watch Dogs legion with Ray Tracing on.   It's been fine.   I'm running an I7-7700 with 32gb of ram and M.2 SSDs on the motherboard.   I think I saw under 60FPS once in the past few weeks I've been playing it.

What resolution?  Raytracing in Quake II RTX at 4k is not exactly smooth on a 2070 super.  Though I didn't get the card for ray tracing performance.

4 hours ago, Malice4you said:

What resolution?  Raytracing in Quake II RTX at 4k is not exactly smooth on a 2070 super.  Though I didn't get the card for ray tracing performance.

I run 1080P on a 27' HP curved monitor.   If I was at 4k, the card doesn't have enough ass.

I've played games at 4k and with my progressive eyeglasses, that extra resolution and width doesn't help me.  It looks great but it's not super useful to me since everything starts to get blurry where I'm not looking.

5 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Wasn't it the 300A Celery that could OC to 450+?  And who the hell had a 2MB card by that point?  I'd been at a 32MB TNT2 Ultra since the Pentium II was top of the consumer market, before the Celery even came out.

Ahh, you are correct, it was 450 MHz, been so long, the celeron was $100 and gave the same performance as the $600 cpu you bought. The video cards were Nvidia and you had to apply an open GL patch to the game or the card you were using, don’t remember which way it went. There were also $750 4 meg cards but who had that kind of money. The connectivity was a 56 baud dial up modem if you could afford one, other wise you used a 33 baud, spent many weekends playing Quake 1 from 6pm Friday till 2 am Monday playing capture the flag. Microsoft direct X was in its infancy you had to make registry entries to get the game to run with open GL.  DOS was a pain in the ass when you had to trouble shoot an issue with you’re computer.   

On 11/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, DirtyDigz said:

For the $250 range you are looking at maybe a Radeon RX 5500 XT or possibly a Nvidia GTX 1660 Super. Either one should be able to do VR and 1080p gaming.

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

For the $250 range you are looking at maybe a Radeon RX 5500 XT or possibly a Nvidia GTX 1660 Super. Either one should be able to do VR and 1080p gaming.

I would be willing to sell my EVGA 06G-P4-6161-KR GTX-1060 with 6gb ;).    It's a good card, I just upgraded.   It worked in pretty much everything I've played in the past few years.  I just wanted the RTX for the ray tracing.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, Malsua said:

I would be willing to sell my EVGA 06G-P4-6161-KR GTX-1060 with 6gb ;).    It's a good card, I just upgraded.   It worked in pretty much everything I've played in the past few years.  I just wanted the RTX for the ray tracing.

That's an option too! 

I have used this website to src parts for builds and find it useful: https://www.logicalincrements.com/
My kids seem to like the build tools at https://pcpartpicker.com/

Not sure why you’d need a 5000 series cpu.  Want....sure.  Need?

If you’re gaming, a 3800x or 3900x is more than fine. I’d focus on a gpu and better display.

Maybe you render stuff with Maya?  I’d use Zync’s hosted rendering and get a 24 hour job done in 24 minutes.  You get 300 host-hours free on sign up and the only limit is the job can only be spread across 50 virtual machines.

If you just want the latest stuff and have money to burn..that’s cool too.

I just built a new system today. Bought some of what I needed at Microcenter in Conshohocken, PA.

3800xt cpu

EVGA 2080Ti  (Newegg)

32 Gig ram

1 TB M.2 ssd

Asus x570 motherboard

HP Omen 27” 165 Hz 4K display.  (Bestbuy) This display is incredible.  Noticeable difference side by side with a 144 Hz Dell Gsync.

Already had a new case and PS.

The total cost of what I got at Microcenter was actually a little less than NewEgg.Prices

But if you want the 3000 series Nvidia gpus or the new AMD cpus, you’re going to wait and also pay a premium.  If you wanted a super high end gpu, I’d SLI a pair of 2070 Supers.  But even that, imho..isn’t worth it.

Well, I need every frame I can get for a 280hz monitor. Currently running 3900X, 32GB RAM, x570 board, GTX 1080, and a m.2 drive.

Just barely hacking it in some competitive FPS games. Not netting the 280 fps without dumbing down some settings, and I only drop them to a point, and even with that, I barely hit 280.

Most games I hover around 120-150 maxed out settings. My card is dated, but I was waiting on the 30 series. I really want a 3080 or 6800 XT. The additional frames you get with the 5000 series CPUs has made that an easy choice for me as well. All I have to do is upgrade the BIOS and swap out the CPU. 

Then I’ll throw the 3900X in a new build for the wife.