CAL. .30 M1

Powder ID...

....so old school 30-40 rounds....

165/168 grain lead cast head..gas checked...

This is about 25.55 grains...  never saw this kinda powder before...

Trying reverse engineer the round to see if i have to break em all down or may be legit.

I will prolly break em down anyway...but ...

And...you can see those big 220's....  ooofah.

Attach7309_20201116_172036.jpg

Attach7303_20201116_171756.jpg

Attach7299_20201116_171541.jpg

4 hours ago, Longranger said:

Do a little snooping around here:

http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php

You should be able to narrow it down to a few (maybe even one) likely candidates

Wow! Amazing site!!!!!  I had googled in the past hoping to find pictures of various powders and came up empty. This site is crazy useful for someone dumb enough to break the golden rule of not using someone elses open container of powder.... but theres those times when the source is just rock steady reliable; and then this site gives you a picture of the container and 10x pic of the powder with dimensions and colors... :icon_e_wink:  :B:):

47 minutes ago, Longranger said:

Are you working with a mix of factory and reloaded ammo?  I think the 220gr military ammo should have had 40.0 grains of powder.

These are 100% reloads - I will post additional pics later - I broke some rounds down to see powder weights etc.

The corrosion in case and in the primers was amazing....  they are not good as is, but the brass and heads will be.

The old adage is true - do not trust anyone else's reloads....

Still, that powder is curious !  Like little doughnuts !  :)

24 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

That looks like Trail Boss to me. I use it to make mild loads in everything up to 500 S&W. Was it loaded up the the bottom of the bullet? It is normal to fill close to case capacity without compressing.

That what a friend of mine said as well - I use 2400 at 16-17 grains in 30 cal cast lead....seems to be ok and mild for 100yd plinking.

Did read that trailboss was popular back in the day as well - pics of primers...seems somehow these were stored in a not so nice way. 

Never saw an old primer just do what these look like

IMG_20201118_112801.jpg

3 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

That looks like Trail Boss to me. I use it to make mild loads in everything up to 500 S&W. Was it loaded up the the bottom of the bullet? It is normal to fill close to case capacity without compressing.

Yep I think you are correct. It definitely looks like it.

• Like 1

@USRifle30Cal's sample is TrailBoss that was previously wet and then dried out!  The primers from his pulls were also wet and now corroded.  The TrailBoss expands to make fat doughnuts when wet but do not shrink back when dried.

Mystery solved i think. :dontknow:

• Agree 3

That might explain it. There are thicker single perforation stick powders out there though.  I’m always hesitant with visual identification of powders. 

but yeah tail boss is used by people who don’t want nearly empty cartridges when making powder puff plinking  loads for cheap.