lhrocker

Buying second house - how that affect my firearms

So my first house is paid off and me and my wife are getting a new house.  We're not selling the old house, so can I keep my current FFID at my present address or do I need to change it to my new address?  Then are there any issues with moving the firearm's between the houses?  The new house is in the same town, if that matters.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, lhrocker said:

So my first house is paid off and me and my wife are getting a new house.  We're not selling the old house, so can I keep my current FFID at my present address or do I need to change it to my new address?  Then are there any issues with moving the firearm's between the houses?  The new house is in the same town, if that matters.

@lhrocker So now we "pull teeth" to get the full story:

Are both houses in the same town being used as YOUR residence OR is your intention to rent the old house to someone and transfer all your worldly possessions, including your firearms, to the "new house"?  If you're moving out of the old house, and changing your driver's license, you'll need to get a new Yellow Card.

Even if you rent it out, it's still property YOU OWN, so you're allowed to patrol it armed.  Hair-splitting is a specialty of mine, so...

You can own many houses (or vacant lots) in NJ's 21 counties, and carry or store firearms at any of them, provided they are secured and away from prying hands...OR transport any number of firearms TO them at any time day or night.  I've written about this several times in the past. :) 

Rosey

CNJFO VP

https://www.cnjfo.com/join-us

7 minutes ago, lhrocker said:

Both houses are in the same town, about 15 minutes between them.  No plans on renting them at any time - will be given to my kids.  Will probably split time between the 2 so no moving anything out.

I concur with @JohnnyB .  This is a total non-issue as you're maintaining both as residences.  Buy 5 more and you'll get the same answer :)  Both residences are where you'll be residing, so BOTH are EXEMPT LOCATIONS.  

Rosey

Old post - need clarification.  I own both houses.  I am not selling my old house and won't be renting it out as my kids live there.  My current license/fid is at my old house.  Will probably "move into the new house" in a month as we were renovating.  New house is primary residence according to insurance.  Do I need a new fid for my primary residence?  

2 hours ago, lhrocker said:

Old post - need clarification.  I own both houses.  I am not selling my old house and won't be renting it out as my kids live there.  My current license/fid is at my old house.  Will probably "move into the new house" in a month as we were renovating.  New house is primary residence according to insurance.  Do I need a new fid for my primary residence?  

IMHO > NO

5 hours ago, lhrocker said:

Old post - need clarification.  I own both houses.  I am not selling my old house and won't be renting it out as my kids live there.  

Well I guess that's a much better option than having them in your basement.

I have two houses.

License and FID match one of them, so I'm good to go to purchase and anywhere someone checks.

I also bring guns to the other house when i stay there.  It's my house, so to and/or from one to the other, or to the range, etc is fine.

I'm not a lawyer and I never asked anyone if it was "OK", but I have zero concerns.

• Agree 1