NJ_Dude

How to approach a delay issuing FID by PD

Hello,

I have applied for an FID (and a couple of handgun permits) I've completed all the steps, got emails thru the whole process, the step I'm stuck in is the getting the permits, which will be issued by the local PD, I'm assuming I have to contact the Chief of Police? what are the recommended steps to do this? it's been more than 2 months and I haven't heard a thing.

I kind of knew my PD was a pain in the ass, but, wow!

Thanks

37 minutes ago, NJ_Dude said:

Can I go in person? I live very close  to the PD.

Going in person sometimes gets better results, hard to ignore someone or dump them into voicemail when they're standing right in front of you. 

The records dept. usually handles FID applications.  

Some agencies have a dedicated officer(s) who handle these so if you know who it is for your department, you can ask to talk to them and maybe they can tell you something.  Make sure your references check their junk or spam mail for the email.  I heard sometimes the emails get sent to junk mail but you should have heard if a reference never responded.  Most likely they will say its due to overwhelming number of applicants to process.  While the law says they are to get yours processed within 30 days, be polite when pointing out the delay.  I've waited 5 months before.  They told me it was because I marked down that I had lived in another state within the last 10 years so they had to reach out to them for police and mental health records which slowed the process.  Then they said it was because I live in a rural area covered by State Police and all rural application from around the state are all processed at NJSP headquarters in Trenton, not local NJSP barracks, so there is a backlog there.  At that point I contacted my Assemblymen who represent my area and pointed out the 30 day law.  It seemed that helped to get things rolling again.

Thanks for the replies.

The last email I got was an email from the NJPortal stating that 'Criminal history check was completed', after that nothing, and this was back in September, I've been waiting but like I said, nothing else so far.

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

2 months is nothing.  Wait a couple of more weeks then call them

Damn, I should have bookmarked the post someone did about how New Jersey's 30 day FID application law actually works.

As I recall the way he explained it every little step in the process resets the clock another 30 days, so it ends up taking about year altogether...:mad:   

3 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Damn, I should have bookmarked the post someone did about how New Jersey's 30 day FID application law actually works.

As I recall the way he explained it every little step in the process resets the clock another 30 days, so it ends up taking about year altogether...:mad:   

Yes.  I hear some towns get it done in 2 weeks.  More than likely red counties and cities.  Anywhere blue and you wait...like every other incompetent thing that democrats are known for.

Found it:

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99841-so-this-is-interesting/&tab=comments#comment-133128

Malice4you:

I don't get why so many people don't understand the 30 day law. Its so simple.

Receptionist who took in application gets 30 days to hand it over to police

1st police officer has 30 days to send out for references

Then another 30 days after getting references back.

Up to 30 days later, he or she then can send out for background check

When that arrives, another 30 days to send out mental health.

After waiting up to 30 days to decide if your rights matter, the officer then hands the completed approval form back to the receptionist, who has 30 days to type up the permits.

When typed up, receptionist has 30 days to hand the permits over to the captain.

Who, you guessed it, has 30 days to sign them.

At which point, someone is delegated to calling you within 30 days to pick them up during the convenient 3:00-3:15pm timeslot every 5th thursday after a full moon.

Is it really that hard to understand how NJ works?

I hear what you're saying, but I find it ridiculous that now we have an 'online' system and STILL SUCKS, to be honest, completing the forms online and getting the replies back was a breeze, my references got the emails literally hours after I submitted the application and the notifications from the system indicating what was processed, the fingerprinting was also somewhat quick because the damn chinese virus forced the fingerprinting facilities to close but after that was done, about a week later the background check was done, the last step is the PD and that's the problem.

My wife and I hit the enter button on the same day, she was able to get her prints done 10 days ahead of me, her permit and p2p came in at 3 months almost on the nose. My call took 4 months and 3 days. I was always gun shy (pun intended) to walk in and inquire for fear I would be moved down down the list for the typist to completed the card. Find a dealer that will hold you’re guns while you wait, after you purchased them wait a few weeks take a ride and ask to inspect you’re guns. It held me over... it’s the little things that help. Lol

3 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

My wife and I hit the enter button on the same day, she was able to get her prints done 10 days ahead of me, her permit and p2p came in at 3 months almost on the nose. My call took 4 months and 3 days. I was always gun shy (pun intended) to walk in and inquire for fear I would be moved down down the list for the typist to completed the card. Find a dealer that will hold you’re guns while you wait, after you purchased them wait a few weeks take a ride and ask to inspect you’re guns. It held me over... it’s the little things that help. Lol

Exactly, I mean, I respect the cops, I do, but crap like this really pisses me off, and there's always one cop that is a pain in the ass and I'm trying to avoid that.

6 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

P.S. Don’t watch the price of guns and ammo go up, makes the wait unbearable.  

Oh don't worry, I'm on a waiting list on several online stores, I've missed a few sales because the damn permits. I know about the pain.

1 hour ago, NJ_Dude said:

Oh don't worry, I'm on a waiting list on several online stores, I've missed a few sales because the damn permits. I know about the pain.

Having the FID or PP in hand isn't necessary to purchase a firearm or ammo online.

The seller will ship the firearm to an FFL of your choice who can then store it while awaiting the paper work.

Steve at Monmouth Arms hold items free of charge I believe and has great personalized service, no standing at crowded gun counters.

As for ammo, some online sellers want a copy of your FID, I would just avoid them or purchase on gunbroker.com   Ammo can be shipped directly in NJ.

11 hours ago, Bomber said:

Having the FID or PP in hand isn't necessary to purchase a firearm or ammo online.

The seller will ship the firearm to an FFL of your choice who can then store it while awaiting the paper work.

Steve at Monmouth Arms hold items free of charge I believe and has great personalized service, no standing at crowded gun counters.

As for ammo, some online sellers want a copy of your FID, I would just avoid them or purchase on gunbroker.com   Ammo can be shipped directly in NJ.

That's good to know.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Bomber said:

Found it:

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99841-so-this-is-interesting/&tab=comments#comment-133128

Malice4you:

I don't get why so many people don't understand the 30 day law. Its so simple.

Receptionist who took in application gets 30 days to hand it over to police

1st police officer has 30 days to send out for references

Then another 30 days after getting references back.

Up to 30 days later, he or she then can send out for background check

When that arrives, another 30 days to send out mental health.

After waiting up to 30 days to decide if your rights matter, the officer then hands the completed approval form back to the receptionist, who has 30 days to type up the permits.

When typed up, receptionist has 30 days to hand the permits over to the captain.

Who, you guessed it, has 30 days to sign them.

At which point, someone is delegated to calling you within 30 days to pick them up during the convenient 3:00-3:15pm timeslot every 5th thursday after a full moon.

Is it really that hard to understand how NJ works?

While it may sometimes seem this is how some police departments act, this was most certainly a joke. A very, very, very plausible, accurate joke.

I think it was ruled that "the investigation" is more important than "following" the "law," so if it takes 31 days, 310 days, or whatever number the PD pulls out its ass, you* will take it and you will like it, you little bitch. Now get down on the ground and beg! (Police DO carry things to hit you with, handcuffs, and can be very demanding...worst dominatrixes ever.)

My favorite thing is they all use the same excuses (our K9 ate your application, the state police have your application, etc) yet some towns can complete it in 2 weeks, and others can't even get ball rolling in 2 months.

*generic you

I know this thread is a little old but I just wanted to say that last week FINALLY got my FID (it just took 5 months)

One thing I have to say, the detective who handed me the FID and permits I requested was very cool, in fact, he didn't like it took so long.

Just a quick update.

14 hours ago, NJ_Dude said:

I know this thread is a little old but I just wanted to say that last week FINALLY got my FID (it just took 5 months)

One thing I have to say, the detective who handed me the FID and permits I requested was very cool, in fact, he didn't like it took so long.

Just a quick update.

Congrats.  Not that he is obligated to, but did the Detective offer any reason for the multi-month delay?

7 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Congrats.  Not that he is obligated to, but did the Detective offer any reason for the multi-month delay?

He was swamped with pending permits and said that the state 'ran out of permits', a batch landed on his desk so he started issuing them ASAP.

I think a law should exist that if the state runs out of permits it should automatically become a 'Constitutional Carry State' :D