GDITurbo77

How long for 2nd handgun permit?

So our initial Firearm ID Cards and handgun permits took 3 months. It was a 1 month wait for the fingerprint appointment, then 2 months until the local PD said the permits were ready for pickup. Wife and I filed for our 2nd handgun permits 1 month ago. Got an email from the local PD like 3 days after filing asking for payment and the checks cashed about a week later. So it's been almost 3 weeks since payment was made. You would think a 2nd permit wouldn't take nearly as long as the initial, especially since they've gone to an e-permit system. I don't think there's any way to find out from NJSP on when the permit will be issued is there? I'm worried because I bought another pistol and the FFL is holding it until the permit comes through. But after 30 days, he charges $5/day for storage.

Edit: Confirmed with the FFL that the storage fees are only for transfers.

Welcome to the forum. Please accept the following as advice, and not an admonition.

When applying for your initial FID you should have applied for six handgun permits, each. Why? Because in 180 days, assuming there are products you wish to purchase, that is the maximum number of permits you can exercise. And it costs a whopping 12 bucks, each. If you don't, then you wind up where you are now; handguns waiting on permits. And if no additional purchases loom, you lost $10, each. 

Second, did you purchase the pistol from the FFL in question? Or, was it a purchased elsewhere to be transferred through your FFL?

This matters. My FFL does not charge me for safe wait time for handguns I purchase from them. Why? Because they can show a profit.

On the other hand, FFLs who have only transfer business must look elsewhere for profit. And in NJ in 2020, the wait time for holding handguns in the safe could stretch out five, six months. Is that figure of $5/day correct? Or is it $5/month? I would consider $5/day to be egregious.

As for the 2nd permit taking less time than the initial... welcome to NJ. Nothing makes sense here when it comes to firearms acquisition.

Again, just take my statements at face value. And apply accordingly the next time. We all wish it were different.

Yes I purchased the firearm from the FFL himself, but I was wrong in my above statement. The $5 a day is for transfers that are not picked up. There's no storage fee if you buy it from them.

In hindsight, I should have applied for multiple permits in the beginning but we thought 1 handgun each would be enough.

No difference in wait time for initial and subsequent P2Ps. They are only $2 each so always get at least 3 for $6.00 total!

Be sure to get them extended for an additional 90 days, total 180 days.  Your CPD must sign the block for "renewing Authority Signature and title" and enter the extended date.

12 minutes ago, GDITurbo77 said:

IN hindsi her, I should have applied for multiple permits in the beginning but we thought 1 handgun each would be enough.

One handgun is never enough! My first go around for permits was in December of 2019, got 6 in January of 2020. I used my first two to transfer two of my dad's handguns and the third to pick up a old vintage model 37. Now in March of this year everything gets shutdown and I can't extend the other three because my PD was "closed"! I applied for three more in April and got them in April. Used those three and applied for two more in September and got them in November. Got a Polish P64 waiting for me which will get picked up next Friday. 

I would recommend if your PD is like mine and getting them extended is like pulling teeth, get two. NICS is taking 4 to 5 days to get back and with two you got 90 days of leeway. With a NJ handgun permit, it must be like clockwork to get a handgun in this state!

35 minutes ago, GDITurbo77 said:

Yes I purchased the firearm from the FFL himself, but I was wrong in my above statement. The $5 a day is for transfers that are not picked up. There's no storage fee if you buy it from them.

In hindsight, I should have applied for multiple permits in the beginning but we thought 1 handgun each would be enough.

OK. Good. Don't be harsh on yourself. Some of us also started slowly, thinking one handgun each would be enough.

My wife and I are testament. But we learned from our experience!

• Agree 1

This is highly dependent on the township.  My last handgun permits were applied for at the end of August or early September and were ready for pickup in about a week.  I applied for and received three.  But, they included the 90 extension, so I have until February to use the third.

It will be used.

My local PD said they were already done with their portion like 2 weeks ago and that it was back in the NJSP's hands and I need to look for an email from them with a link to my e-permit.

My co-worker has been waiting almost 5 months for his ID card and initial P2P.

Wait until it is $50 per permit.  You'd want to use them then.   i am not sure you could actually use all 6 permits unless you had something lined up and NICs was functioning flawlessly.  I would think 5 would be at most the best you could use.  Also, it is at the leisure of the police department to issue for another 90 days (for a total of 180) and that could make or break the usage of more than say 2 or at best 5.  

16 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Or get 20 permits and file for an exemption and pick them all up on the same day     Most i ever did was 3 at once.  

I've done 5 handguns on an exemption and a shotgun on the same NICS. I picked up a handgun, not on the exemption the week before that too.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 10:55 AM, Mr.Stu said:

I've done 5 handguns on an exemption and a shotgun on the same NICS. I picked up a handgun, not on the exemption the week before that too.

My five pistol cases filled a milk crate nicely!

The wife and I applied for 2 p2p the first go around, she used her two in 35 days. I will be using my 2 in 31 days, the wife is done, happy with 2 hand guns and a nice s&w 15-22, she loves all her guns but has control. Me on the other hand applied for 3 more p2p. Sigh, I hope that’s enough.